Ananda Loaner Tour
Aug 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #92 of 124
If this loaner program is still on-going, my current daily driver is the HE-500 and I'm interested in hearing the latest from Hifiman after auditioning several Audeze headphones a few weeks ago. I'll be happy to provide a review of the Ananda after sitting down and comparing it with the ones in my signature.

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #93 of 124
Is this loaner tour still happening ? I am in BC, Canada. I am currently a Beyerdynamic Amiron Home headphone owner, and I am very interested in hearing the Hifiman Ananda. I would love to be part of this loaner tour.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #95 of 124
Hifiman Ananda First Impressions.

I just received the Ananda here, and my first impressions in terms of sounds is just WOW! I remember why I loved this headphone so much at CanJam 2019. I couldn’t put my finger on it then, but I believe now it’s mostly the treble that is just done so right, it’s not harsh to my ears at all, it’s a very smooth and sweet sound. The mids as well are nice and do not feel shouty at all to my ear, it sort of gives a lush warm vibe to it. The tonality overall just feels pleasant to my ears and I feel like there isn’t much at all I would EQ from first impressions. It maintains a decent soundstage as well without compromising on its imaging.

Other notes are that these leak a lot of sound even for an open back it does leak a lot more than average. The cable as well seems to like to just tangle up in its own way. It’s also very easy to drive as you would think with 25 ohms and a sensitivity of 103db(/mw?). To add the comfort of these are really nice as well. They clamp on tight so it doesn't slip off but they don't feel like they are really there at the same time.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #96 of 124
Received the Ananda's last night and spent a good two hours with them. Up to this point I have stayed away from ALL information on these headphones in order to not color my opinions ahead of time. Below are my impressions in the order that I had them, but to summarize this is definitely a summit tier quality headphone that I am looking forward to spending more time with :)

Presentation and build:
  • In opening the box the presentation is really nice. How the box opens, the quality of the materials, and the way the headphones are staged is all pleasing to the eye. The box/packaging is truly unimportant overall, but it's so well done that I had to mention it.
  • The ear cups are HUGE for anyone coming from normal dynamic driver headphones.
  • Build quality seems good/solid. I couldn't find any squeaking, and there are no clear visible weak points.

Sound:
  • The very first thing I heard was a slight canny-ness to the overall sound. Think of how things sound in a coffee can, then reduce that effect by 95% to where it can be easily ignored/forgotten about. I forgot about it after about a minute, and past that point it didn't detract from the experience at all. This could be me just adjusting to the headphones, could be the way the ear pads are sitting on my ears & face, or it could be truly part of the sound. I need to spend more time with them to know for sure.
  • Clarity, exceptional clarity. Definitely the highlight of the headphone. All sounds are well defined, sound correct (including voices), and pop in a way that is far superior to every other headphone I have ever tried.
  • Treble is ever so slightly hot with some instruments. Saxophone in particular seemed to jump out at me a bit but in a minor way, It wasn't enough to make me stop listening and I only noticed it on one or two songs.
  • Great sound stage. The sound stage is like a half bubble around your entire head, extending left, right, and above. It's enveloping in a great way.
  • Bass is there and at an appropriate amount, which was surprising to me for an open headphone. It has good detail and range, but definitely lacks the punch required for those that need emphasized bass.
Every impression above doesn't carry the same weight, but they all come together to create the overall sound. The overall sound is one that is enveloping, extremely detailed, and really a pleasure to listen to.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #97 of 124
Hifiman Ananda 2 Week Impressions

Power requirements

I really can say that you don’t really need a dedicated dac/amp stack to run these. They are really easy to drive as seen on the specs. But I did notice they are slightly harder to drive than a dynamic headphone around the same power requirements. I still could easily be happy with the sound through my phone and that’s what Hifiman seem to have marketed as well.

Accessories

The Ananda came with a pretty nice box and I really liked the design of it, it really shows that you are buying something higher end.

It usually comes with a 3.5mm cable with a L-shaped connector, a 3.5mm female to 6.3mm male and a 6.3mm variant of the cable.

I really think the cable used on the Ananda could be better though, as from pictures of the Arya’s included cable it seems to look a lot better and doesn’t have an issue with coiling up a lot. It works but just could be better.

Comfort

Comfort wise the Ananda is amazing with it. It’s pretty light at barely 400 grams. The clamp force isn’t insane and is just the right amount, so you won’t have it sliding off your head. Majority of the time I didn't experience much hotspots except for behind my right ear after a couple of hours I did have to take it off for a bit or readjust the headphone.

Build Quality

Build quality seems to be decent. It really doesn’t say low quality. It sealed perfectly on my head and I had no gaps in that. But I can see how not everyone’s head would not get a good seal since it doesn’t really swivel. I can’t really say critique it much.

Sound leakage

The drivers on the Ananda are big and they can leak a lot even at lower volumes. I would say sound leakage would be on par of Stax Lambdas if you ever had one, to the point that if you have thin walls you might get your room mate hearing what you’re listening too.

Sound

I used the smsl su 8 v2 > Atoms with flac files, minimum 16bit 44khz.
If I were to summarize the sound it would be a bit like a really light v-shape with the mids being the most recessed and the bass + treble being barely emphasized.

Bass

Now I don’t really think a seal would affect it too much, as from my impressions the Ananda isn’t really a bass head headphone. To me the bass is just neutral to maybe slightly emphasized even with the good seal I got on my head. The sub-bass is somewhat present but a little recessed than I liked. So, I added about a few DB low shelf boost in my EQ. Impact/slam wise, it’s sort of there but not in the way where it really shouts at you. I would say the bass is perfect for my pop and rock music but for hip hop I would want just a little more. The bass is also a bit faster than say the Hifiman RE2000 where I found the bass to be pretty much perfect for hip hop. I wouldn’t recommend these headphones to anyone who really likes bass slamming in their face, even with EQ I don’t think it really gets there.

Mids

This one is interesting on the Ananda where it really sounds different tonally on some of my music and other kinds of my music it sounds a little more in line. I tried to boost the 1-2k area since I thought that was the what was causing it, but it didn’t really make a huge difference. I added a few db in the 4k area and it felt a bit more even. I would describe the mids as a bit dipped, this is especially noticeable if you are running a HD 580/600 as your mids reference. It’s sort of nice to where the mids really don’t shout at you which I never liked, but at some points in music some instruments can feel a little more muted than I want. Like as if they are lacking a bit of energy. It can sort of give off the impression they are a little less detailed than they are.

Treble

To me the treble seems tamed, I didn’t notice huge peaks during my time with it and I can say it’s smooth. I would maybe just call it every so slightly above neutral. I didn’t have any issues with it causing any fatigue, or harshness to my ears. I did notice a bit of a peak around 9k and 11k, eq’d that down by a few DB. I did EQ 4k up a bit and it seemed to add a bit more clarity. Extension past 12k seems decent although it’s a little harder for me to tell, it doesn’t really give an airy sound to it.

Timbre

Timbre wise these headphones are very different to a lot of other headphones I tried. This is part of what really stood out to me when I first tried them at CanJam 2019. It’s a bit hard to describe it but mids and vocals really seem to be a lot softer to the ears than what I am used to. Classical to me as well seems lighter, I think this could be because the bass isn’t emphasized but it really gives a different tone to it. I couldn’t find another headphone besides the Arya and a bit of the HE1000se that could replicate this. This can be a good thing since they really don’t sound sharp to my ears and makes it more pleasing, but I wouldn’t call this timbre the most accurate. Some of my test songs that are generally mastered better do not show this as much compared to my music I listen to casually. It might be that my music isn’t really made well that could be affecting it.

Detail

Detail wise these are middle of the road to me. Micro detail is present but it’s not crazy for its price. Comparing it to the HD 800 and Stax L300LE I would say these two would be more resolving in this specifically. I feel like for the price you are getting a fair amount of detail, just not a crazy amount. But the Ananda does seem to have a more musical tone to my ears. While both the HD 800 and L300LE can be see as analytical, or sterile I feel like the Ananda doesn’t have this issue anywhere near to the same degree. Bass on the Ananda is a bit on the faster side and textures aren’t as prominent in my listening sessions.

Sound stage and imaging

Now sound stage isn’t wide like if I were to compare this to an HD 800 it wouldn’t come close, and not close to an L300LE as well. I would say its just barely below average in terms of width. But for height I feel like it has more room than your normal headphone, making it almost seem taller than what you usually get. Imaging as well seems decent as well, I didn’t have trouble pinpointing where certain instruments are in my usual songs and the different sound stage height doesn't seem to skew it too much.

Would I buy it?
From my overall impressions I think it does have a good place where I would buy it. The mids and treble seem so smooth to me where it makes my music sound warm and soft to my ears. I really can’t find many headphones that does it the same way. It might not be a reference sound, but it does give a relaxing tone to it. If you really don’t like shouty headphones I think this would a good fit as well. The only thing I could see in improving this for my taste would be to have better technical capabilities, a bit more forward mids and a bit more energy on the low end. Perhaps the Arya might do that.

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #99 of 124
Hifiman Ananda First Impressions:

First, I would like to thank Hifiman for including me in the Ananda Tour. I received them today and have been busy listening.

The system I will be using for my review of the Ananda's is as follows...

iMac feeding Tidal Master and Roon Labs.
Vinshine Reference R2R DAC, Schiit Wyrd
Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. I will also use the amp section of my Vinshine Reference.
All cables are Blue Dragon, Black Dragon and Silver Dragon from Moon-Audio

My first impression is one of speed and immediacy. The Ananda's do not cast a huge soundstage, but they do cast a very accurate and immediate soundstage that allows the instruments to play nicely in their own space. They are extremely fast and their tonality seems to be pretty close to perfect. I do get a slight sense of dryness, just as I used to with the Sundara's and 400I's. Both of which I have previously owned. They are resolving detail excellently with an image forward in the stage. This gives them the appearance of greater intensity without losing nuance and depth. They feel like I am sitting in front of the soundboard at an intimate venue, instead of behind it. Bass is tight and without much bloat, which I quite like. The bass of the Ananda sounds fluid and accurate. The midrange is well formed and slightly forward. Most importantly, they are a lot of fun. After an hr I am having no issues with weight or comfort. Although, my ears are starting to get pretty hot, which will be something for me to pay closer attention to over the coming weeks. I look forward to spending a solid 2 weeks with them and reassessing my position at that time. Until then, I am going to enjoy the heck out of the Ananda's.

Cheers!

Sep 9, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #100 of 124
I just received the Anandas for review. I don't have time to listen to them tonight as I'm doing critical listening on music I've made and am trying to release soon, but I won't leave you empty handed!

My daily drivers are the Hifiman HE-400i, which I chose about 3 years ago because they were very similar to the Sennheiser HD600 (in my mind at least) - but with more bass. And one of the primary genres I make is House, so yeah....

But it has turned out that bass alone is not why I have loved the HE-400i so much over the past 3 years (though it is a big help). They have been an excellent primary point of reference for my mixing and mastering of both my and other people's music because they are 3 things:

1. Comfortable
2. Not fatiguing in long sessions. They sometimes see 10 hours of use in a day with 2-3 hours at a time, and they stay comfortable and I can continue to make good mix decisions as long as I take hearing breaks (standard practice is 10-15 minutes per hour)
3. The mixes I produce on them "translate" well to other systems. More on that another time, but I believe this has to do with them being relatively similar to Sennheiser's reference class headphones which are the studio standard, more or less.

So why do I bring up so many other headphones in my first impressions of the Ananda? I want you to understand the viewpoint I'm going to be judging from. I've been using Hifman's own HE-400i for 3 years and I have done some work that I'm very proud of with them. There are a few things I wish were a bit better about them: the cable is "meh" (constantly a struggle to keep it out of my way in *very* limited studio space), the bass is a touch overdone for me and is the one part that causes fatigue for me (not helped by the fact that I have kick drums and subs hitting hard down to 40 hz where I roll off the subs manually), I sometimes wish I could get a bit more texture out of the headphones without just boosting the treble in whatever I'm working on, and the soundstage is sometimes a little too condensed for me to be able to hear all the detail deep in a mix. Other than that though, I don't want to see much change.

Since I have my Hifiman's out and ready to go so I can work on music, they have also become my primary pleasure listening headphone over the past few years. I have Grado SR225i's and AKG Q701's that I pull out when I'm in the right mood and I have time to listen to music rather than work on it, but that is at most 4-5 times a year now. Don't ask me how long it's been since I've used my turntable.... I will make an effort to listen to some non-electronic music for this review. I do listen to classical and jazz in my car and I have a list of all the songs I hear that I like, so I can fire up youtube (yes really, this is how I listen to new music and discover it) and get that viewpoint. I also grew up on a lot of punk, rock, and metal, so I still have those CDs around and I'll try and make it a point to give them a check.

I've done some reading on the Ananda so that I have some idea of what to expect, and judging by what I've held in my hands and what I've read I believe it has a real chance at delivering on my hopes if Hifiman hasn't tuned it to be too musical or to try and be too different from the 400i. I don't have any other point of reference for the Hifiman house sound, so I really don't know what to expect in that regard. I fully expect I'm going to LIKE the sound of this headphone, but I wonder whether I can justify paying the price for these headphones in order to USE them for a specific task.

On the purely physical front, my impressions of the Ananda are that the packaging has gotten nicer with a crushed velvet feel around the headphones rather than the plain foam my HE400i's came in. The box is the same for both headphones and is very nice in both cases. However, I am impressed that Hifiman went the extra mile and screened the Ananda name onto the box of the Ananda, which the accountant in me likes because I know it adds to the cost to have specific packaging for one product in a line, but it makes me feel just a bit extra special to know that they put that effort in. The thing that jumped out at me when I first held the headphones was how LIGHT they were. I know the HE-400i is a relatively heavy headphone, but it never has bothered me much. The Ananda though feels like my titanium rimmed glasses in comparison to regular frames - I'll probably forget they're on my head! I also have to say the cables are the best I've ever had for a headphone. Again, my point of comparison here is Grado, AKG, and older Hifiman cables, and people complain about all those. But with these, I don't see any problem. I also like the inclusion of both 90 degree and straight 3.5mm cables as space is at a premium for me and having the choice matters in certain situations.

Well, I need to get to work so that I can make time in the coming weeks to put the Ananda through it's paces. I'm looking forward to my time with it whether it does what I hope for or not, and I hope you look forward to my complete review.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #102 of 124
I am currently on the sundara tour, owned 400i before and currently own the he5se, would love to join the ananda at some point as well.
ananda would be something I consider purchasing but would like to try it to see if I like it.
I am in Houston, TX USA

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #103 of 124
I have been using the Ananda's for three days now , Hifiman thank you for letting me be a part of this.
First impressions are mostly through a Fiio M9 , X5iii and K3.
This headphone is as efficient as advertised and can be successfully powered from a decent portable device.
All the above mentioned devices were used single ended due to the lack of balanced cable so I can assume that on balanced mode the Ananda's can get even more louder.
First impressions are that this headphones are quite polarising , they have enough strong points but also a few minus.
But nothing is perfect so this can offer a very good listening experience depending on someone's needs and music used.
More to come after further evaluation!
IMG_20190920_171936505.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #104 of 124
Just a quick copy/paste from the main review thread, hoping I have time to update with nice photo later, but wanted to make sure I got this up today while I was in town and this was on my mind.

I was selected to be on the Ananda loaner tour for North America and jumped at the chance to try them. I wanted to see whether the Ananda could replace my daily driver HE-400is or perhaps complement them in my music workflow. I’ve had a month with the headphones and was offered a discount on a new set if I wanted to purchase them after the tour in exchange for my honest opinion. Read on to find out whether I’ll be taking Hifiman up on that offer!

The Hifiman Ananda is a high-end headphone from, of course, Hifiman. I am a regular user of their HE 400i headphones. This review will examine the Ananda on some of its own listening strengths as well as comparing the sound to the HE-400i. First some background is in order so that you understand how I’m going to be judging these headphones. I’m an amateur musician, producer, and mastering engineer, and I’ve used the Hifiman HE-400i headphones as my primary monitoring solution for the past 3 years with excellent results for my own music as well as others’. I make and primarily work on electronic music and especially experimental electronic music (think Aphex Twin, Orbital, etc). Because I have a day job and most of my time spent listening to music is spent critiquing either my own work or someone similar, I do not have very much time to listen to music for pleasure anymore. We’re talking maybe once or twice a month I can set aside a few hours and break out my fun headphones or pull out my vinyl collection. When I do, my tastes range widely from classical into jazz, rock/metal/punk from the 60s to the present day (check out Amyl and the Sniffers and thank me later), with funk, soul, some early hip-hop, and of course a large variety of electronic music (including chiptunes, which I feel bears special mention). And I got a chance to play a little of all these on the Ananda. That said, though, 95% of the time I have headphones on it is to work on music, not listen passively, so I will be judging the Ananda from this view as well as from a casual listener’s view.

I’ll start with build and presentation before going into the sound. The boxes that Hifiman use for all their headphones are very nice and nearly the same, but Hifiman does up the ante a bit for their higher end models. The standard Hifiman box is a sturdy box wrapped in leather (or something like it) and with a soft top that has the Hifiman name and logo screened on it. The headphones come packed in foam cut to shape for the headphones and all their accessories. The Anandas come in a box much like my HE-400is, but the Anandas get a crushed velvet interior over the normal foam and the headphone’s name screened directly onto the box, which is enough to make you feel special. The Anandas come with plenty of cabling options with 3 sets of cables in the same reasonable size, one terminating in straight quarter inch plug, and two with straight and 90-dgree 3.5mm plugs. Everything is branded Neutrik and while they are not the prettiest cables I’ve ever seen, they are of the best quality I’ve seen included with a headphone.

I love the look of the headphones themselves. I don’t have a great description of what it is about them or why, but I think they look the part of a $1000 headphone. That’s something you’ll have to decide for yourself. However, I can add that the paint is a noticeable step up over my HE-400is and they are probably much easier to keep clean as there’s no chrome finish to attract fingerprints. I have only one complaint in regards to the physical design of this headphone, and that is the unadjustable headband. I have a small head, most adjustable headbands I bring only one click out from closed, if that. Here, my ears fit in the earcups fine, but after about 20 minutes I realized that there was no clamping force on the sides of my head at all and the full weight of the headphone was resting on the top of my head. In this way, they’re similar to my AKG Q701s, but the Anandas weigh significantly more. This is a disappointment for me because these weigh around as much as the HE-400i in my hands, but I can wear the 400i for hours before my head hurts (my ears will need a break before my head does), but the Anandas were hurting my head in about half an hour. . I’m sure this isn’t a problem for most users, but I also know it isn’t a problem for me with a different product from the same company, so I can’t avoid mentioning it.

The first thing that jumped out at me in a good way when I put on the Anandas was the bass. For electronic music, these headphones are very, very good. If I hadn’t heard the HE-400i before this set of headphones, I’d call the bass a revelation. The bass doesn’t go as deep as the 400i, and it rolls off faster than the 400i too, but believe me when I say you aren’t missing out on what these headphones fail to pick up and what they do present is the best bass I’ve ever heard, full stop. Most of the sound below 40 hz is just mud that isn’t well controlled in most mixes, so by having the headphone focus less on that it brings much more clarity to the midbass, and that is where these headphones shine. In comparison, the 400i goes deeper, so you do get more frequencies, but they are never as controlled as on the Ananda and picking up frequencies so low can pick up mistakes left in the mix by an engineer working on a lesser system.

From there, we’ll move up the frequency range where the Aananda has a pleasant, musical boost in the midrange that seems to bring out the attack on individual notes better and puts a bit more space around individual instruments up to around 1khz. The 400i is much flatter through here and has less space around the instruments but seems to have slightly more soundstage overall. I’d say the Ananda is a forward headphone, voiced close to the stage, where the 400i is voiced sitting middle of the hall for a more neutral presentation.

Then we come to the treble where the Ananda again has a pleasant boost and the HE 400i does not. But here, I think the Ananda goes a bit far and suffers for it (and this is the weakest part of the headphone for me). I already said this is a headphone voiced close to the music, so it lacks somewhat in soundstage, but the boost in higher frequencies adds to that, overfilling the remaining space around your head. Worse, while the boost in the midrange feels like it brings out detail and attack, the treble feels like it becomes less defined and blurs the instruments above around 3khz together. The timing accuracy remains great, though.

It’s not bad by any stretch of imagination. In fact, I didn’t find a single track where this headphone sounded bad, even tracks that I know sound harsh with similarly boosted treble on my Grados. I even did a good portion of my listening on YouTube, and there the compression artefacts on the audio were less noticeable and the music was more musical. I just found myself wishing it was more like the bass all the way up through the rest of the frequencies, tight, defined, and smooth. The headphone is smooth all the way from top to bottom, but not as smooth as the HE 400i because of the slight boosts in the midrange and treble. The headphone is tight from top to bottom in the timing domain, but the frequencies become less defined in the treble region.

For most of the review, I drove the Anandas off my daily driver Schiit Fulla v1. I know better can be had in the world of amps and dacs, but for something that is so small and so quick and easy to hook up, has no warmup time, and that I can cheaply replace if anything happens to it, nothing beats it. I had no desire to try running the Anandas directly out of my laptop or PC as I know the direct outs on both are tuned for gaming and so aren’t much fun to listen to. The Fulla did a fine job, but I wanted to try the Ananda with tubes before I sent it on to see if that helped with my criticisms of the treble. I broke out my Schiit Vali 2 for the first time in months and warmed it up, ran it out of my Modi (I’m still rocking the original) and gave the tube sound a spin. For my Grados and AKGs, tubes take the edge off and make those headphones a lot better, and I thought that meant tubes would pull back the treble on the Ananda. Unfortunately, tubes actually made cymbals on the Ananda go from forward to outright screechy. Everything got more defined, so instrument separation in the top end was a bit better, but the mid-range and treble also developed a harsh etch or edge to them. The tubes also pulled out a bit of that bass I loved so much. This had me stopping or skipping songs that were just unlistenable for the first time with this headphone. My HE-400is don’t like tubes either, I only tried them with the Vali 2 once and that was enough. They behaved similarly to the Anandas if memory serves. My guess is that the drivers behave differently with tubes than dynamic drivers do and maybe a higher quality tube amp can give these drivers what they need, but if you like me just want the tube sound sometimes and have one cheaper tube amp to try, skip it with the Anandas. It could also be that the drivers just expose any weaknesses in amp design and reminds us of why so many manufacturers stick to similar designs, but I don’t have a large enough sampling of amps to try and determine that.

None of this is a problem if you’re looking to listen to some music for fun (the treble isn’t bad, it’s just not AS GOOD AS the amazing bass), especially anything electronic. Just don’t use tubes. For the purposes of this review (a pleasure listening headphone), it’s a 4-star headphone (one star off for the unadjustable headband). But I said my personal goal was to see if this could replace a known good headphone in a studio environment focused primarily on critical listening. On that front, I can’t use this headphone – because it’s too good. The HE-400i is a neutral headphone, but most importantly it punishes bad mixes. The Ananda was less pleasing on material I knew had mix issues, but it was always fun to listen to it on the proper equipment. If I replace my HE-400is with Anandas, I’ll probably love my music more than I ever have, but I will not be able to make it sound good for everyone who doesn’t have a pair of Anandas laying around. This doesn’t impact my rating of the headphone in the slightest because Hifiman doesn’t advertise these as studio monitors (neither do they advertise the HE-400i as such, it just happens that that headphone is tuned just right for the job). But I did say I’d let you know if I would buy them. I need something more brutally honest with me, and the Anandas are not it, as much as I may love listening to the deepest of deep house on them.

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #105 of 124
I kinda wish this was for the ananda BT edition.
That is a very innovative product that will set Hifiman ahead of the pack .

The only thing close is the Amiron wireless from Beyerdynamic although I have a feeling the Hifiman Ananda will outperform anything in the wireless market .

So if a Loaner tour for that is ever offered I'm definitely in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back