Analytical iems around 200eur shipped
Jan 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
I was thinking, how good are the ER4P compared to the HF5? Are they worth the extra money? I can get them at 215€ shipped.

I owned the ER4P and the HF2 at the same time (basically an HF5 with a mic), and I much preferred the ER4P. They sounded, to my ears, much more musical. They also scale better with an amp and 75-ohm adapter, but the difference is there even without an amp. I'm actually looking to get another pair, they're that good.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 22
Thanks guys. The ACS T15 seemed really interesting but is above my budget.

I've read some reviews about the PFE, but what are the main differences between them and the Etys?

Sent from another Galaxy

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #18 of 22
another vote for phonaks audeo pfe with grey filters!

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
Thanks guys. The ACS T15 seemed really interesting but is above my budget.
I've read some reviews about the PFE, but what are the main differences between them and the Etys?
Sent from another Galaxy

Etymotic HF2/3/5 vs PFE 022 (with Grey and Black filters; not included with 022, only 1xx models)

General ideas, both IEMs have great detail and clarity.  The Etymotics are louder and more energetic and alive with slightly better clarity.  The highs are really a wash.  It's a fight between extension and aggressiveness.  As for the bass, the PFEs will win on this one both ways, but only slightly on the grey filters (bass impact does play the slight role here, but Etymotic makes up with the texture while PFE has better body).  On the black filters, it's really no contest as the body, texture, and impact come in and make big hits. 

Grey Filters

The mids are not as in your face as with the Etymotics while the Etys have an in your face type of midrange (where it literally throws details at you).  Clarity is a wash though, they both are extremely clear.  The Etymotics have more vocal energy as well.  The treble on the Etymotics does extend deeper, however, the PFEs have a slightly more recessed sound to them that makes them less strident and aggressive than the Etys (a good thing quality wise).  For bass, the Etymotics extend much deeper and have better texture (but isn't always audible), the impact is a wash.

Etymotics (HF5s) win here.

Black Filters

Mids are about the same, detailed and clear but are still beat out by the Etymotic's energy.  The treble is extended a little further, but still isn't at Etymotic Extension.  However, they still aren't harsh/strident or as aggressive as the Etymotics.  The bass is much better impact and texture wise really able to spin circles around the Etymotics with greater body as well (but still note entirely good enough of a body) compared to Etymotics' bodyless sound. 

It's really a tie here, make your choice.

Bottom line, if you want better bass with less taxing treble, get the PFE.  If you need mid-dominated spectrums whilst keeping the lows and highs in check, get the Etymotics. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison tinyman392. How is the bass on the etys er4p compared to the PFE? Cause in mids and treble etys win right?
Sent from another Galaxy

I don't have ER4s to compare with, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back