Analytical iems around 200eur shipped
Dec 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

vytman

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I think it's time for moving from my Xcape v.2 to a more suitable iem for my needs.

A friend has Apples' ADDIEMS and they sound better to me than my Xcape so I assume that analytical is the way to go.

What I am expecting from the new iems:

-A different signature sound that fulfill my needs

-A big improvement on SQ since my budget is around 150usd 200eur shipped

-Regarding the bass, I'm just looking for quality not quantity (although I don't mind having a little extra bass as long the quality is great)

I've being reading and reading and I'm undecided between FA DBA-02 and Brainwavz B2. I'm more towards inclined for the B2 atm but I'll wait for some insightful feedback before making my final decision :)

Thanks in advance!

Sent from another Galaxy

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 22
DBA-02 and B2 are, for all intents and purposes, the same IEM. Any differences perceived are very minor or just from observer bias or fit.

I would recommend the Etymotic HF2/HF3/HF5. They're probably the best ~$100-125 analytical IEM I've ever heard. The RE0 is also excellent, but it sounds like a $60-80 IEM (because it is lol), and doesn't really compete against the HF series in my opinion. On a related note, I haven't heard too much about the B2 being "overly analytical", more like just having a great treble and midrange that naturally brings out details. But, only from what I've read, it doesn't dissect details quite like an Etymotic or even RE0 would.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 22
+1 for the Ety's , if your looking for analytical around $150 then look no further than the HF series.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 22
Thoughs are the same ones I got and for the same price.  If you want a analytical IEM's then you really can't go wrong with any Ety.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 22
Another vote for the HF5. I currently have the ER4S, 4P, HF5, and ER6i. All provide the Etymotic listening experience.......analytical to a fault. If money is an issue, you may want to look into the ER6i. While discontinued, they can be purchased new online for under $100. They also were designed to be used without an amp, directly into an iPod or other personal listening device. And while they don't look to be the sturdiest IEMs out there, I can attest to their durability, as they are my go-to 'phones when I'm doing yard work. They have proven to be extremely durable for quite a few years now.  They sound is pure Ety. Good luck in your quest. :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 22
sony EX600 also, but se315 and re0 and ety's are quite good as well

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 22
Haven't listened to SE315 before, but I never heard a Shure that can be described as analytical in the conventional meaning of the word. EX600 isn't analytical at all. Ety are always great choice for analytical IEM (except the MC series). Phonak PFE 1xx are good analytical IEM as well..

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
sony EX600 also, but se315 and re0 and ety's are quite good as well

The EX600s are pretty neutral, but they're not analytical. Etymotic IEMs would be a good choice. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I was thinking, how good are the ER4P compared to the HF5? Are they worth the extra money? I can get them at 215€ shipped.

That really depends. From what I've read, the changes from the ER4P to the HF5 are subtle and small (better treble and added warmth, again, minor tweaks).  It really depends.

Other suggestions could also include Phonak PFE 1xx series which are really analytic with the grey filters, if you can stretch, the ACS T15s are a pretty decent upgrade over the ER4s if you need additional bass (small sacrifice of treble for bass; mids remain a wash). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back