Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 8, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3,646 of 3,814
  another solution to charge and run the tu-05:

while you can not use this solution to run the tu-05 connected to an usb port, this solution itself is complete and provides additional battery power for the tu-05.

for this solution you need an usb battey pack with additional 12v output like this one i am using:

http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/251166/Tecxus-Mobiler-Zusatzakku-TP-10000-LiPo-10000-mAh-17250-powerBank-TP-10000-Mobile-Stromversorgung-Zusatzakku-Energier?ref=list

it provides two USB 5v 2100mA outputs and in addition an output with 9v or 12v 2100 mA and comes with lots of adapters. it can be charged while beeing used.

the 12v output is what is needed for the tu-05 car charger.

i think this is a similar one that can be found on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-10000mAh-Rechargable-Protective-10-1Tablet/dp/tech-data/B00AFSOH8I/ref=de_a_smtd

the easiest solution is to connect a fitting connector instead of the car connector that is provided with the car charger or as i did to have everything somewhat smaller, to extract the car charger pcb board and mount it using a new, smaller case:

here you see the car charger internal pcb board:

in general it is enough to provide a new input connector that fits the output jack of the usb power pack:

i used some red shrink-on tube to visually see that this is the input connector.

as i had no small case i made one out of a piece of plastic (tupperware):

here you see the pcb mounted with some superglue around the led and the cables:

case closed with superglue:

and here with some strong tape around (of course looking somewhat improvised):

this is the complete set to charge and run both the external usb power pack and the tu-05:

so while it is not possible to directly run and charge the tu-05 with usb power, i think it nevertheless is very usefull as it provides additional power for the tu-05 when on the road, you can not only charge and run the tu-05 but also your mobile phone, tablet and any device with usb, 9v or 12v input, it's real portable (and much easier to modify only the car charger than building the usb charger interface i posted before).

Short note: be very careful and check the right polarity of the new connectors. btw, i have tested everthing and it works!

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,647 of 3,814
Hi Germanguy

Thanks but just too technical for me. 

Instead, I am thinking of getting this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081CWCHI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

to connect to the car charger provided by Shikada-san and the car charger plug into the TUR-05b.
Will this work?

Thanks so much 

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,648 of 3,814
I also found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS9KX-Supply-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0002BA570/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436377631&sr=1-7&keywords=12V+power+supply

I will receive my TU-05 in October and I just realize that it comes with a just a cigarette lighter connector. A wall charger might solve the problem but, if this is wired directly to the lithium batteries inside, then I will not be able to listen to music while the TU-05 is charging, right? (because of the noise that the wall charger will add)

I see two solutions:
- buying the 45,000 yen special power supply
- alternate charging with listening

What do the TU-05 users do?

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3,649 of 3,814
Hi Germanguy

Thanks but just too technical for me. 

Instead, I am thinking of getting this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081CWCHI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

to connect to the car charger provided by Shikada-san and the car charger plug into the TUR-05b.

Will this work?

Thanks so much 

yes, i think it will work, but it is just a replacement for the power supply you already got with the tu-05.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #3,650 of 3,814
I also found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS9KX-Supply-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0002BA570/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436377631&sr=1-7&keywords=12V+power+supply

I will receive my TU-05 in October and I just realize that it comes with a just a cigarette lighter connector. A wall charger might solve the problem but, if this is wired directly to the lithium batteries inside, then I will not be able to listen to music while the TU-05 is charging, right? (because of the noise that the wall charger will add)

I see two solutions:

- buying the 45,000 yen special power supply

- alternate charging with listening

What do the TU-05 users do?

the tu-05 comes with a car charger AND a power supply with car charger connector.

listening while charging is possible, absolutely no change in sound quality or noise.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #3,652 of 3,814
Yeah, many thanks GermanGuy. 

I received my BESTEK® 84W Power Supply AC to DC Adapter from Amazon today and it charges the amplifier pretty fast through the car charger; I think maybe two to three hours.  

Another option I think is using 
1. Anker Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 12V 16V 19V) Portable Charger External Battery. I am not sure if this is a charger AND powerbank. If this is a charger as well, then wouldn't it be possible to connect this charger directly to TUR-05 without using the car charger at all. You can see this item from amazon using this link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B45EOYS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

Thanks

Regards
YGLim

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #3,653 of 3,814
@Asianguy38- This is a power bank, not a charger. you can use it as portable replacement for the power supply to connect the car charger to, but have to buy or make an adapter cable. in fact it has the same functionality and is a accu pack like the one i have posted as part of my portable solution (but with twise the capacity).

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,654 of 3,814
HI GermanGuy

Thanks GermanGuy..... I was kinda hoping it was a charger because it really look sleek. Too bad.

But I did find a wall charger available in Singapore....and it really is cost effective .....only SGD 9.90. I was going to buy it today but the package from Amazon arrived at my doorstep. So had to postpone buying it today but I may still make the trip to get in case the car charger becomes faulty.
The item I am saying is Wall charger for 2 cell 7.4V Li-Poly battery
and the item is shown here http://www.skyhobbies.com.sg/pagelink_battery_chargers.html.

YGLim

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #3,655 of 3,814
Patience is truly important, I am happy to report back on my TR-07 hp, sounds has changed. Improvement on extension and reduction of mid-bass is the most noticeable thing. Playtime around 100 hours. I only use it with my dynamic IEM(EX-1000, Kaede II, Dita truth ) and K3003, The best synergy is with Kaede II and about equal with others. I will try the BA stuff later again but I am enjoying too much to be in the mood of clinical listening.

This is why I never write reviews as when I am trying to write it I loss myself in music and review becomes another chore. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3,656 of 3,814
I have read through the whole thread again. Last year I ordered a ASP Tu-05, but I had to cancel my order due to other projects. Now I am expecting a pre-owned unit. Really looking forward to it. Already bought some tubes to try out apart from the stock tubes. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #3,657 of 3,814
Congratulations Klonk, as the TU-05 is a very fine sounding transportable tube headphone amplifier. Happy listening. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
  I have read through the whole thread again. Last year I ordered a ASP Tu-05, but I had to cancel my order due to other projects. Now I am expecting a pre-owned unit. Really looking forward to it. Already bought some tubes to try out apart from the stock tubes. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #3,660 of 3,814
no.

my tu-05 was delivered with a stepped potentiometer, very precise. if you want to mention that the potentiometer itself is loose, there is a small screw on the volume knob. after having removed the volume knob there is a nut to fix the potentiometer in its position, maybe the nut is loose. but before tighten the nut you should open the tu-05 carefully fixing the potentiometer in its position with one hand to prevent the potentiometer from rotating and damaging the thin wires while tighten the nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back