Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Nov 11, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #3,511 of 3,813
Love how you have combined the DAC with amp, I bet it sounds great!
I had a new arrival today and will report as to how it sounds in combination with the TU-05
3640d1e77a06e02e2e5a4488cba84d83.jpg

Wondefull MARCONI tubes !  Dear ianmediumI am happy you found them.  

Do they sound as good as they look ?  what are they paiered with ? thomson ? 

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,512 of 3,813
Ahh, these are the Marconi's I found last year. I decided to give the Tens a rest and put these back in once again as I had not teamed them up with the Berlin made Telefunkens. It's a great sound combination giving just the right amount of warmth and bottom end and top end clarity and detail.
I think the Telefunkens now are my go to DF91 tube, they are sublime. I might pop the Mullards in the DL92 section again just to give that last ounce of bass weight but thats after listening to the glove through this amp.

I have eight hours on the glove now and have to say if you have the first gen 100/120 this is a must I feel. I managed to get some decent time on the 240 recently and loved it but still could not justify the extra expense of it. The 120/glove combo gives me all the added micro detail and soundstage the 240 has over the 120 but retains the 120's warmth and analog feel that for my ears the 240 lacks.

I also love the simplicity of it, no wifi, no android system, no bells and whistles I would never use (wifi streaming) just a music player and a fine one at that!

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,513 of 3,813
Glove audio A1/AK120 + TU-05= sonic heaven! every thing that makes the glove/120 combination a truly great one is amplified (pun intended!) by adding in the '05

Truly the best portable listening experience in all the years of listening to portable audio ( and that stretches back almost 35 years to my very first Walkman!).

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #3,514 of 3,813
Bliss!
c9ba543cc30e66d52f2e2d7e4e477a81.jpg

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,515 of 3,813
Wow that is a very impressive assessment iammedium.
Have you compared the 901 + 05 to this combo?
My preference of sound signature is more toward analytical with just a touch of warmth.
As I am looking to buy a 901 soon this would be a very helpful insight.
Many thanks for sharing your findings on the Glove which until now for me was unheard of.
Enjoy the fruit of 35 years of sonic exploration :)

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,516 of 3,813
Look what I received today...  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Listening impressions later...

Quite a step-up from my TUR-06....at least in size !! 
wink.gif

EML  45  Mesh plates

They glow a little at night.  Not enough to my taste  :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,517 of 3,813
WOW. Beautiful valves and an aesthetically pleasing industrial design. Very nice indeed.
atsmile.gif

Quote:
  Look what I received today...  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Listening impressions later...

Quite a step-up from my TUR-06....at least in size !! 
wink.gif

EML  45  Mesh plates

They glow a little at night.  Not enough to my taste  :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #3,518 of 3,813

I agree with Ian this sound amazingly good. Max volume at glove a1.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3,519 of 3,813
That's a beautiful finish on those Grado's! This glove addition is something rather special Eh. So glad I went for it instead of selling the 120 and going for the 240. I feel this has a more natural and effortless sound than the 240.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3,520 of 3,813
That's a beautiful finish on those Grado's! This glove addition is something rather special Eh. So glad I went for it instead of selling the 120 and going for the 240. I feel this has a more natural and effortless sound than the 240.

Thank you Ian. Yes I love this alessandro ms1 mod. They sound really special to me.

My ak100 had a broken/bend headphone out long time ago when it fell from my grip and hit the floor with a interconnect in it. then i was thinking whether to get the ak100 upgraded to rwak or add an attachment glove.  I am so glad that i decided to wait for the glove. and i don't have to pay extra $100 to get the headphone out fixed. imo the glove can make ak100 sound much more powerful and energetic. it just a little bit less detail especially in vocal to the ak240 (which i can only hear it on norah jones-nearness of you-24bit). on less demanding power headphone i still prefer the dynamic of ak240. but for more power hungry headphone the ak100 + glove provide better weight on instrument sound, separation and clarity than the ak240.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #3,521 of 3,813
That's really interesting. I would be interested in your thoughts on it if you heard it with the 120 as I feel with that player it matches the 240's dynamics. I think the 240 just edges ahead with micro details but for the cost difference I can live with that.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #3,522 of 3,813
That's really interesting. I would be interested in your thoughts on it if you heard it with the 120 as I feel with that player it matches the 240's dynamics. I think the 240 just edges ahead with micro details but for the cost difference I can live with that.

I guess i put a wrong terminology in dynamic. both setup are really complement one to another. With ak240 I can not get instrument clarity and micro details as i can get them from the ak100 + glove setup. But i really like how the music flow on ak240. the loudness/softness of how each instrument sound  to me is very good presented. and vocal micro details is jaw dropping, I can really hear the singer breath until the last end. seems no cut in the middle. When i feel romantic this setup is the one i choose.

On the other hand when i want to listen to rock music like my favorite symphonic rock band nightwish. i can not listen them on ak240. they just sound dull. With ak100 + glove I can feel the energy of the band. 

I will try to borrow an ak120 from my friend and try them on the glove. I am pretty sure they have much better sounding than the ak100. Once I have heard them I will update my impression.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3,523 of 3,813
It is too early to tell if the  HUGO > TUR-06  is better than HUGO only.  

I need to break-in the tubes first, and also do...some tube rolling (like I did in the past with my TU-05 to find my prefered combination, but here it will be much easier since you have only 1 pair of tube to change, not a combination of "voltage stage" tubes + "power stage" tubes !) 

Hi, any comments if the Hugo-TUR06 pairing is better, marginally or significantly, than the Hugo solo?

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,524 of 3,813
Hi, any comments if the Hugo-TUR06 pairing is better, marginally or significantly, than the Hugo solo?

well...the combo is warmer than HUGO direct, so... sometimes the combo is good with some musics, sometimes I prefer hugo direct ! 

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,525 of 3,813
well...the combo is warmer than HUGO direct, so... sometimes the combo is good with some musics, sometimes I prefer hugo direct ! 

Thanks for the response. So when you do prefer it with the TUR-06, is it a lot better or little bit? I also read that your A2P is custom to be used with the Hugo. May I ask what customization it involved? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back