Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Dec 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,836 of 3,813
the modder 's diary part 07:

starteed to test and measure components. at least for the modded dc/dc step up converters i can say, that the devices get unstable above 55 volt and are rather inefficient, so i will not use them instead rebuiling new ones based on Shikada San's internal power supply board.

two nice and small se output transformers arrived last week:

they have a primary impedance of 4 KOhm 25mA DC current, so nicely fitting the specs of the tu-05, but best of all they have a secondary impedance of 125 and 500 ohms, so should be ideal for high impedance headphones like my hd800 or a beyer T1.

today finalized the basic design of the full battery driven power supply consisting of AC power supply / charger, DC battery driven PSU and the tube and other voltage regulators:

The AC power supply and charger will consist of an isolation transformer and then different transformers for left and right channel and auxiliary voltages plus primary voltage regulator stages / chargers with constant current.

The battery driven power supply that can be charged with the AC power supply consists of Li-Ion BMS balancer boards and Li-Ion protection circuit / charger boards and Li-Ion batteries (40 in total which means 40x 3,7 volt x 2,2 ampere = 325 Watt of battery power).

the different components and parts are desigend to get fully charged within 8 hours, so far away from the maximum charging speed but optimizing lifetime of the batteries and well balanced so that all the different voltages and so the whole amp have enough power for a battery driven runtime of at least 40 hours.

to provide always exactly the same voltages for the tubes independent of beeing in battery mode or just beeing charged, an additional voltage regulator stage is provided that can be placed directly under or nearby the tubes, so each tube has its own voltage regulators and any loss of voltage of the internal power main bus will be automatically compensated.

another benefit is that the amp can be driven only with the batteries, only with the AC power supply or combined with batteries while beeing charged.

the anode voltage power supplies can provide much more power than needed for the Dl92 tubes (to be honest up to 5 ampere per tube), the anode power supplies have a battery capacity of 62.5 watt per tube and as the df91 tubes don't need that much power, i would say more than 100 watt of battery power per output tube, should be sufficient to extend the amp with an even much more powerfull output stage.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,837 of 3,813
GG, I am getting a bit confused. Are you now building a completely different amp and keeping the 05 as is as all these parts must be enough to make a whole new amp?

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #2,838 of 3,813
This is my "build" roadmap i sent to Shikada San:

In general i have five projects in mind:

-a mini tu-05

-rebuild my existing tu-05 as it was just to have it operational again and as sound reference

- a redesigned double mono tu-05 with modular tube section and custom made best of best transformers but fitting the size of the new extended case you sent me.

- a mid sized 330x200x60mm double mono desktop version with mid to high quality components, but affordable, not getting too expensive, good price to quality ratio, battery driven with improved dc-dc step up and step down converters with added filter and voltage regulator for each voltage of each tube.

- a very expensive best of best highend desktop edition, double mono design, mundorf silver/gold wires and solder, tango output transformers, two additional output transformers for 300 to 1000 ohm i found, Elma switches, Souther input attenuator transformers, full battery driven, no dc/dc converters!

This version will have replaceable tube modules and up to 120 volt for the Anode voltages ( when combining the two BMS anode voltage boards), so able to support the DL 93..98 tubes, higher output power for speakers and for example output stages with four DL tubes in parallel.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #2,839 of 3,813
Ah, thanks, I get it now, wow, what a project GG!

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2,840 of 3,813

The m8- th900 pairing is listenable, but not great. The m8/tu-05/th900 combo is heavenly. Probably the best headphone sound I have ever heard. 

I second that (on the M8-TH900)... 
biggrin.gif

Woodcans, how do you pair the M8 with TU-05? I would love to try those combination...

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2,841 of 3,813
bmichels, thanks for those links. 
beerchug.gif

xplosive : Have you compared the ESW-11 to W1000X or W3000ANV? I listened to ESW11 for once or twice, I couldn't recall how does it sound.

GG : always interesting to see your progress. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2,842 of 3,813
I second that (on the M8-TH900)... :D

Woodcans, how do you pair the M8 with TU-05? I would love to try those combination...

M8 (impedance 1, gain 2, bass +1, treble 0), 1/4 - 1/8 inch adapter, BTG 8 strand mini to mini, tu-05. Volume on M8 set to max. This is Centrance's recommendation for 'line out' (treble and bass settings personal preference). Try it and let us know how you like it! (Impedance of 1 is when the switch is to the far RIGHT).

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2,843 of 3,813
M8 (impedance 1, gain 2, bass +1, treble 0), 1/4 - 1/8 inch adapter, BTG 8 strand mini to mini, tu-05. Volume on M8 set to max. This is Centrance's recommendation for 'line out' (treble and bass settings personal preference). Try it and let us know how you like it! (Impedance of 1 is when the switch is to the far RIGHT).

Great...! Thanks a lot Woodcans, I'll try that set-up soon. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,844 of 3,813

xplosive : Have you compared the ESW-11 to W1000X or W3000ANV? I listened to ESW11 for once or twice, I couldn't recall how does it sound.

I have not had a chance to audition the other two. imo esw11 sounds great with the tur06. It really shine like never before.
it is the most "living" headphone i have ever heard. scary but i like it.. it has forward  vocal (sounds like the singer is singing private just for you, you can even tell the mood), nice bass detail with right amount of impact and nice high without getting any harsh to your ear. Trumpet, piano, drum and guitar sounds real with them. It does not have a perfect high end sounds technically, it just sounds different.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,845 of 3,813
M8 (impedance 1, gain 2, bass +1, treble 0), 1/4 - 1/8 inch adapter, BTG 8 strand mini to mini, tu-05. Volume on M8 set to max. This is Centrance's recommendation for 'line out'

Why " 1/4 - 1/8 inch adapter " ?? Is the output of the 1/8 M8 jack différent from the 1/4 M8 jack ?? Or you don't have 1/8 out on your M8 ?

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,847 of 3,813
  I have not had a chance to audition the other two. imo esw11 sounds great with the tur06. It really shine like never before.
it is the most "living" headphone i have ever heard. scary but i like it.. it has forward  vocal (sounds like the singer is singing private just for you, you can even tell the mood), nice bass detail with right amount of impact and nice high without getting any harsh to your ear. Trumpet, piano, drum and guitar sounds real with them. It does not have a perfect high end sounds technically, it just sounds different.

Thanks xplosive.
From the descriptions, it seems the ESW11 has the same characteristic as the other ATH wooden cans.
The vocal is so lush and it has its own character.
I think you may like the W3000ANV or W5000 then. If you have a chance, just give it a try... 
wink_face.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,848 of 3,813
Hey Folks
What's the story on the USB POWER OPTION? Does it replace the regular charger?

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2,849 of 3,813

Thanks xplosive.
From the descriptions, it seems the ESW11 has the same characteristic as the other ATH wooden cans.
The vocal is so lush and it has its own character.
I think you may like the W3000ANV or W5000 then. If you have a chance, just give it a try... 
wink_face.gif

Yes I really want to try the w3000anv, but it is very hard to find one.. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back