Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,786 of 3,814
Quote: - tried :  Lorenz df96 + Tung-sol ken rad dl92  
- and tried : Telefunken DF904 / Tung-sol ken rad dl92

and did not likes it either of them...  
So, So far I much prefer  Telefunken DF904 / Philips DL92  or  Lorenz df96 / Philips DL92 

Originally Posted by GermanGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it's great that there are different tastes and opinions, so much to discuss. would be great if you describe your impressions and opinion more in detail.

btw, which impedance setting do you use, which headphone (i assume the fostex), what are your sonic preferences?

Well I am sorry, but my hear is not educated enough yet to be able to describe the difference as preciecely as you do. I have still a long way to go. So far I can only say if I like them or not.  All I can say is that I found the 2 solutions not as "rounded" as I likes the sound to be...  very amateur description I know :)

I used to use low impredance setting, but now I prefer high. I find it more lively".  And YES I use my TH-900

By the way, I am propsoed some Mullard DF96.  Should I get them to try ? Has someone found them to be part of a good combinaison ? 

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #1,787 of 3,814
bmichels, I think you and I have similar tastes. Though I like detail I also like a little warmth and the combinations you like are the same for me. I think one of my favourites now is the Mazda 1T4/ Phillips DL92 combo.

Something tells me you would very much enjoy French tubes. They have a sweetness and fullness but at the same time allowing lots of detail through. Have you any of the la Radiotechniques?

They are a tube that is readily available and cheap but of very high quality in the terms I mention as well as being very quiet tubes!

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,788 of 3,814
Quote:
bmichels, I think you and I have similar tastes. Though I like detail I also like a little warmth and the combinations you like are the same for me. I think one of my favourites now is the Mazda 1T4/ Phillips DL92 combo.

Something tells me you would very much enjoy French tubes. They have a sweetness and fullness but at the same time allowing lots of detail through. Have you any of the la Radiotechniques?

They are a tube that is readily available and cheap but of very high quality in the terms I mention as well as being very quiet tubes!

NO ian, I have not tried the Radiotechniques.  Which one will you suggest I try ?  Combined with what other tubes ?

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,789 of 3,814
They do both DL92 and DF91. Mullards go really well with these tubes as do Phillips in either stage but I think my favorites are Mullard or Phillips DL92/Radiotechnique DF91

Also GG, you really need a good twenty hours on the tubes I find to truly hear what they are capable of and to settle down any noise that may be present. I know from my experience with the Brimars I have my thoughts were exactly the same as yours but after a good twenty hours the tube changed considerably and sounds now more like a Mil spec US tube, quite crisp sounding I find and need a warmer tube to work with, Mullard/Brimar is a wonderful combo for just ease of listening and focus on the performance rather than detail.

I wish the guy would get in touch with me about those stamp Brimars, might try and message him again!

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,792 of 3,814
GG, that is some inventory! I love the red boxes, what brand are they?

You know. I have been thinking of putting all of mine in a slim glass fronted frame and mounting it on the wall, the boxes are pure art!

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,793 of 3,814
yes, they are. as you can see i also bought some single tubes, for example the single orange blue standard electric df91, you know

standard electric schaub lorenz ?!

the tube looks exactly as the lorenz df91 but is suoer rare! the red green ones are haltron tubes.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,794 of 3,814
The red Brimar (stamped) valves are definitely worth persuing, as they're decorative and sound very good after a suitable run-in period. The Brimars are very transparent, yet not harsh nor overly tizzy, so they have sublime synergy with NOS Mullards.

Andy.

They do both DL92 and DF91. Mullards go really well with these tubes as do Phillips in either stage but I think my favorites are Mullard or Phillips DL92/Radiotechnique DF91

Also GG, you really need a good twenty hours on the tubes I find to truly hear what they are capable of and to settle down any noise that may be present. I know from my experience with the Brimars I have my thoughts were exactly the same as yours but after a good twenty hours the tube changed considerably and sounds now more like a Mil spec US tube, quite crisp sounding I find and need a warmer tube to work with, Mullard/Brimar is a wonderful combo for just ease of listening and focus on the performance rather than detail.

I wish the guy would get in touch with me about those stamp Brimars, might try and message him again!

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,795 of 3,814
Thanks Andy. I have written to the seller. Hopefully this time they will respond! They say they will ship to Canada but ask to write to them to ascertain shipping costs.

BTW, I think you would very much enjoy the AK120!

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,796 of 3,814
I'm happy to order a pair for you and ship them on.

Andy.

Thanks Andy. I have written to the seller. Hopefully this time they will respond! They say they will ship to Canada but ask to write to them to ascertain shipping costs.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,797 of 3,814
I think that the red Brimar (stamp) valve seller must be on holiday as I've just ordered another couple of tubes and the estimated delivery date is mid September!

Andy.

P.S. These are yours Ian if you're happy to wait a few weeks to receive them.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,798 of 3,814
at the moment i listen to the RFT DF97 - TUNGSRAM DL91 combo (sic!). i wrote earlier that i tought they could be modified and really they can!

the dl91 can be modified in the same way as the 1l33 by just cutting pin 1 of the tube to use the tube instead of a dl92:

the df97 can be modified by just connecting pin 4 and pin5 of the tube to be used instead of a df91:

best of all it is possible to connect pin 4 and pin5 of the tube socket inside the amp because pin 4 is not used in the case of the df91, df96, df904, so the amp would be automatically compatible also with df97 tubes.

shikada san should be asked to do this as standard. if he then also adds a small switch for both dl92 sockets to connect or disconnect pin 1 of the dl92 sockets the amp would be compatible with much more tube types.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #1,799 of 3,814
Andy,
Thanks so much for your kindness. The seller got back to me and I have made the purchase. I think they should be here just about the same time as my amp arrives!

Now then, those who have these, what DL92's are you using with them?

GG, your adventurous spirit in cutting pins and trying different sorts of tubes is awe inspiring!

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #1,800 of 3,814
Has someone tried the Translucent 1plus2 with the TU-05 ?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back