Analog Audio source selector?
Feb 1, 2008 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I need something that I can plug output to my Little Dot MK II then have about 2 or 3 inputs that I can plug my MP3 player etc into? It can't have any effect on the sound in any way.

Does such a thing exist?

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 33
Yes and it depends on how much you want to spend to get one as to what people will recommend. These items have come up before and search on the words Line and router and see what you find. Note the line router in my sig and you can search google for that name or hear as well for ampBoxAudio, Art Taylor built mine.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes and it depends on how much you want to spend to get one as to what people will recommend. These items have come up before and search on the words Line and router and see what you find. Note the line router in my sig and you can search google for that name or hear as well for ampBoxAudio, Art Taylor built mine.

I don't really want to pay much. No more than $40 if possible...

Googling ampBoxAudio seems to only come up with posts by you that have your sig in them and googling line router just comes up command line routers and other things....

What about something like this? 4 Way Audio/Video Switch Selector (quality unit) for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 33
It should work and like you said the prices can go very high depending on the parts involved. Some others will chime in here soon. I am sure you will get many suggestions people usually do.

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need something that I can plug output to my Little Dot MK II then have about 2 or 3 inputs that I can plug my MP3 player etc into? It can't have any effect on the sound in any way.

Does such a thing exist?

Sure. It's called a rotary selector switch...
You can buy the part itself, some RCA connectors and a metal box for probably your budget, including shipping and a cheap soldering iron... You can even add volume controls per input to equalize levels.
I built a similar gadget in a slightly different way. Instead of using a rotary selector, I used individual switches, one per input.
I also added a small series resistor per input and the result is a "mixer". It allows you to select one input or mix two or more. The volume controls are almost mandatory with this arrangement. It is not only a fun gadget but very useful for everyday listening. Music at 80% with the TV input at 20% for example...
It's a great weekend project!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. It's called a rotary selector switch...
You can buy the part itself, some RCA connectors and a metal box for probably your budget, including shipping and a cheap soldering iron... You can even add volume controls per input to equalize levels.
I built a similar gadget in a slightly different way. Instead of using a rotary selector, I used individual switches, one per input.
I also added a small series resistor per input and the result is a "mixer". It allows you to select one input or mix two or more. The volume controls are almost mandatory with this arrangement. It is not only a fun gadget but very useful for everyday listening. Music at 80% with the TV input at 20% for example...
It's a great weekend project!
biggrin.gif

Oh that sounds fun. Will be good to practice some soldering...

So what parts will i need? Just some RCA connectors and a box or do I need to do some sort of circuit thingy?

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 33
Just your switch cables some housing and jacks or if your crazy enough just switch and jacks:p

No extra circuitry needed =)

I dont know how much room there is inside your Little Dot but if it's possible space wise and you're ok doing so it would be recommendable to built the source selector into your little Dot , as to avoid the extra connectors (also more ost effective of course=)

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 33
Feb 2, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe jump over to the DIY area and post the 'how to..." questions.

I'm sure you will get all the help you need.

Check this site:
mb3k.com the place to be

This is by head-fi user mb3k.

I posted a thread in the DIY forum which should be some help.

That site is very interesting... The source selection box there looks a bit too complex for my needs though.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh that sounds fun. Will be good to practice some soldering...

So what parts will i need? Just some RCA connectors and a box or do I need to do some sort of circuit thingy?

The gadget from Radio Shack is only $20 and will do the job. If you want to DIY anyway, you need a box, RCA jacks and selector switches. If you go to all that trouble then I'd say you should add volume control (10K to 50K stereo potentiometer) per input and have real fun with it, listening to multiple sources mixed together...
Can you purchase these parts locally?

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gadget from Radio Shack is only $20 and will do the job. If you want to DIY anyway, you need a box, RCA jacks and selector switches. If you go to all that trouble then I'd say you should add volume control (10K to 50K stereo potentiometer) per input and have real fun with it, listening to multiple sources mixed together...
Can you purchase these parts locally?

Yeah I can get the parts from DSE, except for the box. I might just find something that suits or knock some bits of wood together...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back