An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,396 of 1,487
It's very forward and aggressive. I think most of the Chord sound is.
If you heard the DAVE powered by an excellent power supply and fed by an excellent music server you would not think that.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,397 of 1,487
If you heard the DAVE powered by an excellent power supply and fed by an excellent music server you would not think that.

I had my DAVE fueled with a great power supply and an RF stop AC power cable. Had M Scaler on chain with Opto DX and LPS 1.2 power supply and Poweradd power supply for the OptoDX boxes. Upgraded BNC cables as well.

I had a great audio chain with the DAVE and MScaler. And I loved the sound. Again, I'm just preferring the NOS sound of the Holo May KTE, and I'm not the only one (GoldenSound is an amazing audiophile reviewer, and he also prefers May KTE to DAVE and MScaler):

Not sure how much of a difference a music server would make versus lossless bit-perfect audio from QuBuz fed through Roon and an AudioQuest Carbon cable via USB (hardly any, I'd wager).

It's all diminishing returns at a certain point beyond headphones/speakers > amp > DAC > power supply/cables/etc...

Of course the source lossless files are of moat important, but whether they are on a server or streamed via QoBuz in FLAC fueled through Roon...yea...

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,398 of 1,487
Not sure how much of a difference a music server would make versus lossless bit-perfect audio from QuBuz fed through Roon and an AudioQuest Carbon cable via USB (hardly any, I'd wager)
My gosh, why would you think that? You should really try to audition a proper server.
Again, I'm just preferring the NOS sound of the Holo May KTE,
We each have different ears and different systems so I would expect us to prefer different equipment. My point was only that we can’t really hear how good a DAC is unless we provide it with an excellent source and address obvious deficiencies. A friend has a DAVE and I’ve had the opportunity to hear it evolve as he has improved his source, his cabling and the power supplies feeding the DAVE. Tremendous improvements along the way.

I think too many bail too early on their DAC by switching to another model. Greater gains can come from prioritizing the rest of the chain.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,399 of 1,487
My gosh, why would you think that? You should really try to audition a proper server.

We each have different ears and different systems so I would expect us to prefer different equipment. My point was only that we can’t really hear how good a DAC is unless we provide it with an excellent source and address obvious deficiencies. A friend has a DAVE and I’ve had the opportunity to hear it evolve as he has improved his source, his cabling and the power supplies feeding the DAVE. Tremendous improvements along the way.

I think too many bail too early on their DAC by switching to another model. Greater gains can come from prioritizing the rest of the chain.

I think that minimal gains can be eeked out by spending exorbitant sums of money on cables, power supplies, etc. At that point, people are paying massive amounts of money for small improvements, imo. I've heard systems with 2k+ cables and expensive power supplies, etc... The differences in sound quality across multiple recordings was minimal at best.

Just my opinion. I loved my DAVE and MScaler for the 2 1/2 years I had it and spent a lot of cash on upgrading its cable, power supplies, an OptoDX, BNC cables, etc. Also spent close to 2k tube rolling my Auris Nirvana amp with some NOS tubes that I love and can actually discern substantial audio improvements.

I was satisfied and kept that system for over 2 years.

At some point, I think it is best to just enjoy the music instead of chasing the dragon of the "perfect" sound or setup.

And you are right; our ears are all different. I just couldn't tell much difference in the DAVE with added cables, etc etc.

And the Holo May simply sounds different. Not necessarily better but just different. And at the moment, I'm preferring it to the DAVE.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,400 of 1,487
I'm really interested in your opinion on these two compared...I love my Dave/MScaler pairing, though I have been eyeing the Holo May since a lot of the on the go listening I do is with R2R DAPS (LP6,P6Pro). Since I cannot demo it, I could use a Dave/MScaler load term owner's opinion on how the May complements , differs or bests the former.

Thanks in advance!

Main main takeaways after having the Holo May KTE for the last week (a used unit that was purchased new May 2023) are as follows:
That's a tough one. I had the DAVE/MScaler combo for the last 2 1/2 years or so. I also ran an OptoDX in my chain to remove RF. It sounded absolutely sublime. I sold the M Scaler a few weeks ago and am selling the DAVE currently in order to do some home projects.

I bought the Holo May KTE used as a downgrade in order to pocket the difference in cost. I've been listening to the May since Monday, and since it's a used unit from May 2023, I assume it has had enough time to burn-in.

The DAVE and the May are very different DACs, and each have their own strengths. I'm still adjusting to the May's character. Initial impressions are that I am very, very impressed with what the Holo May is doing, particularly with its NOS mode. Recordings sound very, very...raw? Without any processing, I feel closer to the music. I get chills. Everything just feels more intimate and purposeful and filled with intent.

The DAVE and MScaler combo is the current pinnacle of the Chord sound, and it sounds wonderful: punchy, forward, and incredibly musical.

The May is a bit shy. But I think that's where its most beautiful characteristics lie. It takes the edge in separation for sure versus the DAVE, but this comes at the expense of some recordings not feeling quite as "fun" to listen to. What's there instead is a real sense of shape and character and soul to the music that DAVE constantly builds upon for better but sometimes for worse.

With May, the delicate nature of its sound is hypnotic, and a lack of punchy force makes me lean into it while listening. Especially because when a track calls for slamming bass or extreme transient response, the May rises to the occasion, and this feels more impactful to me than music that sounds like it's constantly throbbing with slam and artificial processing at 1.5 mil taps, etc.

DAVE vs. May would definitely, like most things in the hobby, be an EXTREME case of personal preference. But I am preferring the Holo May in my headphone-based system. It's reserved, transparent, and incredibly resolving. And when it makes impact, it feels more intentional and important. I've read and heard that people with speaker-based systems typically prefer the DAVE, and I can understand why. You want that energy of the DAVE to fill a room and make a space sing. With headphones, the May is just gorgeous to listen to and never fatiguing. It's also incredibly versatile and can do any genre of music well.

The best word I can use to describe it would be "effortless." Whereas the DAVE sounds incredible, it sounds incredible because there is a labor to the sound that gets it there.

With May, the music is just being itself more.

And currently, I'm in love with that. :)

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,401 of 1,487
I think that minimal gains can be eeked out by spending exorbitant sums of money on cables, power supplies, etc. At that point, people are paying massive amounts of money for small improvements, imo. I've heard systems wirh 2k+ cables and expensive power supplies, etc... The differences in sound quality across multiple recordings was minimal at best.
You do realize that you put forth a logical fallacy? Just because you heard minimal improvements in those systems doesn’t mean it was the fault of the cables. No point in me pushing the point further though as your mind seems to be made up.
I loved my DAVE and MScaler for the 2 1/2 years I had it and spent a lot of cash on upgrading its cable, power supplies, IptoDX. BnC cables, etc.
I had a similar experience with TT2 and MScaler. They are both gone along with the optoDX, etc. So I can definitely say you gave them a fair shot. Difference though is that my TT2 was crippled relative to the DAVE in that TT2 couldn’t scale as far with better power supplies.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,402 of 1,487
At some point, I think it is best to just enjoy the music instead of chasing the dragon of the "perfect" sound or setup.
Honestly, I have found the pursuit to be a ton of fun. This year my system gained more than any other year in my 30 years of being an audiophile - particularly in the area of transparency. I lucked out too in that I didn’t spend that much to bring about that outcome. I love when I come across products that deliver a big bang for the buck so I keep my eyes open for such opportunities. I am enjoying music far more than in any previous year as even my worse recordings sound far more natural because they’ve lost rough edges. My goal has simply been to extract the most out of my scarce dollars and I think I’ve done exceptionally well at doing that.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,403 of 1,487
I had a similar experience with TT2 and MScaler. They are both gone along with the optoDX, etc. So I can definitely say you gave them a fair shot. Difference though is that my TT2 was crippled relative to the DAVE in that TT2 couldn’t scale as far with better power supplies.

TT2 has supercapacitors that go in between the PSU and the circuit hence why it won't scale as much as DAVE in power tweaks

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,404 of 1,487
TT2 has supercapacitors that go in between the PSU and the circuit hence why it won't scale as much as DAVE in power tweaks
Exactly right.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,405 of 1,487
Honestly, I have found the pursuit to be a ton of fun. This year my system gained more than any other year in my 30 years of being an audiophile - particularly in the area of transparency. I lucked out too in that I didn’t spend that much to bring about that outcome. I love when I come across products that deliver a big bang for the buck so I keep my eyes open for such opportunities. I am enjoying music far more than in any previous year as even my worse recordings sound far more natural because they’ve lost rough edges. My goal has simply been to extract the most out of my scarce dollars and I think I’ve done exceptionally well at doing that.

That's awesome! I'm glad you have noticed improvements and are enjoying the tweaks 😀

For me, I just reached a point where I want to enjoy the music and sound more than messing with tweaks that don't bring about any appreciable differences worth the money, hassle, and time away from the audio system itself. Stressing, any differences I notice.

Again, just my preference 😄

Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,406 of 1,487
For me, I just reached a point where I want to enjoy the music and sound more than messing with tweaks that don't bring about any appreciable differences worth the money, hassle, and time away from the audio system itself.
Just because there may be some tweaks that aren’t worth the price doesn’t mean they all aren’t.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!
Same to you.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,407 of 1,487
I find the Dave / M scaler to work for me in their stock form with a Envy amp and Sus.
Could they be improved? Sure, but what cant???

I briefly had a Holo Spring 2 and was underwhelmed compared to the Dave. Yeah, the May is a big step up.
I do 'think' about the May but then let it go.........YMMV

EDIT: I got thinking about my last 3 DAC's and I must like the Chord sound. I liked the Qutest, took nice step up to the TT2 / M Scaler and stayed with that for a year or so. I wasn't sure if the Dave would be worth the cost but, IMO, it was.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,409 of 1,487
I find the Dave / M scaler to work for me in their stock form
Me too. I just run the M-Scaler off a good battery and it sounds as good to me as anything I've ever heard.

I heard every high-end DAC at Munich High End this year thinking I'd upgrade from the M-Dave and the only one that caught my attention was MSB, which really did sound good, but quite different than the Chord stuff. Much smoother and euphonic. And I must admit, very pleasant. Chord DACs seem to just pass the recordings through, good, bad or ugly, which I love since I'm in the audio recording business. So I think people either have a preference for that sound or the smoother thing that other DACs do.

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,410 of 1,487
Much smoother and euphonic. And I must admit, very pleasant. Chord DACs seem to just pass the recordings through, good, bad or ugly, which I love since I'm in the audio recording business. So I think people either have a preference for that sound or the smoother thing that other DACs do.
I am pretty sure, in reverse. R2R if made well "just pass the recordings through, good, bad or ugly". I rediscovered my old CD library with R2R. Some details bring my memory, while it is generally smoothed in modern chip DACs making it pleasant, but for the long term uninvolving.

As you are in recording business, please tell us, do you monitor recordings on R2R DAC?
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back