An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,381 of 1,487
Perhaps it's because the Holo May processes true NOS and is R2R. But many people who reviewed the May preferred it in HQ Player.

I just do not hear it. At. All.

NOS is without upsampling is superior to me, and it isn't even close.

Has anyone else had this experience?
I don't trust reviewers, they failed to me many times. Your impression created my interest, but Spring 2 L2 did sound to me like Delta Sigma. So no, maybe later. It is a ladder DAC after all.

I must say, NOS is very special, not many people like it. It is why all this upsampling push. for EDM music DS DAC is better.

One question. Why you prefer PLL on? For the USB connection with asynchronous delivery it is not needed.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,382 of 1,487
I don't trust reviewers, they failed to me many times. Your impression created my interest, but Spring 2 L2 did sound to me like Delta Sigma. So no, maybe later. It is a ladder DAC after all.

I must say, NOS is very special, not many people like it. It is why all this upsampling push. for EDM music DS DAC is better.

One question. Why you prefer PLL on? For the USB connection with asynchronous delivery it is not needed.

I had read to have PLL on. I didn't know with USB it wasn't needed. I'll turn it off. I don't notice a difference really with it on or off.

What I definitely notice is that NOS untouched just sounds so much better than anything HQ Player can do to the audio...

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,383 of 1,487
I had read to have PLL on. I didn't know with USB it wasn't needed. I'll turn it off. I don't notice a difference really with it on or off.

What I definitely notice is that NOS untouched just sounds so much better than anything HQ Player can do to the audio...
Your ears, your decision. I don't know what is messed up in this DAC, so I can't recommend, just asking to try.

Merry Christmas!
:)

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #1,384 of 1,487
Your ears, your decision. I don't know what is messed up in this DAC, so I can't recommend, just asking to try.

Merry Christmas!

Yea, I don't think anything is messed up. I think in my system (Susvara and no speakers), NOS is just superior. I like the forward presentation and slam and better separation.

The upsampling just ruins it, imo.

Was curious if people had similar experiences with May KTE or Spring 3 KTE DACs.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,385 of 1,487
Holo Audio in NOS is the least NOS sounding DAC due to its linear correction secondary ladder stage. A more traditional NOS DAC sound would be similar to the sound of Sonnet Pasithea, Abbas 3.2SE DAC, SW1X DAC IV, Mystique X, Aries Cerat Helene, Aqua La Scala Optologic MKII, etc.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,386 of 1,487
Holo Audio in NOS is the least NOS sounding DAC due to its linear correction secondary ladder stage. A more traditional NOS DAC sound would be similar to the sound of Sonnet Pasithea, Abbas 3.2SE DAC, SW1X DAC IV, Mystique X, Aries Cerat Helene, Aqua La Scala Optologic MKII, etc.
Yes, except my Audio GD R2R-11 do not sound traditional, but like a true R2R NOS DAC. I don't know how to say in other words... Oh, forgotfen, Rockna Wavelight comes close.

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,388 of 1,487
Rockna DACs are oversampling though using Parks-McClellan FIR oversampling filter
Correct, I refered to Rockna, as it carries very modern dynamic sound as opposed to the DACs on the list where some are very smooth like Sonnet, other I expect present rather a vintage sound.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,389 of 1,487
I recently got a used Holo May KTE with my coming from a Chord Qutest, Chord TT2 with M Scaler, and eventually Chord DAVE with M Scaler.

My chain is QoBuz -> Roon -> USB AudioQuest Carbon Cable -> Holo May in NOS mode with PLL -> Auris Nirvana tube rolled -> Susvara.

I've been messing with HQ Player in my chain as well: 1.5 mil upscaling PCM, DSD 1024 upscaling, multiple decoders and filters based on reviews of the Holo May and suggested settings. My computer is very capable as well with 32gb DDR5 5000, i9-12900k, and a 4090 GPU.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, that HQ Player does sounds as good as the Holo May running NOS in exclusive mode through Roon. The HQ Player upscaling, regardless of decoder or filter or sample rate, always introduces a metallic sheen to the music and softens the impact of every single recording, even whippy electronic or rap. It's as though an artificial coating is tossed on the recording, like Vaseline, that smothers and smears fine details. Separation becomes muddy instead of concise and airy. Bass loses its punch 👊. The music becomes... anemic.

It's interesting to hear so many people praise HQ Player for making their music sound better. I suspect the Chord DACs could have some improvement or maybe other chip-based DACs. Perhaps it's because the Holo May processes true NOS and is R2R. But many people who reviewed the May preferred it in HQ Player.

I just do not hear it. At. All.

NOS without any upsampling is superior to me, and it isn't even close.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Did you prefer the May KTE over Dave/MScaler?

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,390 of 1,487
Did you prefer the May KTE over Dave/MScaler?

That's a tough one. I had the DAVE/MScaler combo for the last 2 1/2 years or so. I also ran an OptoDX in my chain to remove RF. It sounded absolutely sublime. I sold the M Scaler a few weeks ago and am selling the DAVE currently in order to do some home projects.

I bought the Holo May KTE used as a downgrade in order to pocket the difference in cost. I've been listening to the May since Monday, and since it's a used unit from May 2023, I assume it has had enough time to burn-in.

The DAVE and the May are very different DACs, and each have their own strengths. I'm still adjusting to the May's character. Initial impressions are that I am very, very impressed with what the Holo May is doing, particularly with its NOS mode. Recordings sound very, very...raw? Without any processing, I feel closer to the music. I get chills. Everything just feels more intimate and purposeful and filled with intent.

The DAVE and MScaler combo is the current pinnacle of the Chord sound, and it sounds wonderful: punchy, forward, and incredibly musical.

The May is a bit shy. But I think that's where its most beautiful characteristics lie. It takes the edge in separation for sure versus the DAVE, but this comes at the expense of some recordings not feeling quite as "fun" to listen to. What's there instead is a real sense of shape and character and soul to the music that DAVE constantly builds upon for better but sometimes for worse.

With May, the delicate nature of its sound is hypnotic, and a lack of punchy force makes me lean into it while listening. Especially because when a track calls for slamming bass or extreme transient response, the May rises to the occasion, and this feels more impactful to me than music that sounds like it's constantly throbbing with slam and artificial processing at 1.5 mil taps, etc.

DAVE vs. May would definitely, like most things in the hobby, be an EXTREME case of personal preference. But I am preferring the Holo May in my headphone-based system. It's reserved, transparent, and incredibly resolving. And when it makes impact, it feels more intentional and important. I've read and heard that people with speaker-based systems typically prefer the DAVE, and I can understand why. You want that energy of the DAVE to fill a room and make a space sing. With headphones, the May is just gorgeous to listen to and never fatiguing. It's also incredibly versatile and can do any genre of music well.

The best word I can use to describe it would be "effortless." Whereas the DAVE sounds incredible, it sounds incredible because there is a labor to the sound that gets it there.

With May, the music is just being itself more.

And currently, I'm in love with that. :)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,391 of 1,487
With May, the delicate nature of its sound is hypnotic, and a lack of punchy force makes me lean into it while listening. Especially because when a track calls for slamming bass or extreme transient response, the May rises to the occasion, and this feels more impactful to me than music that sounds like it's constantly throbbing with slam and artificial processing at 1.5 mil taps, etc.
If you only heard a stock Dave, you have only heard about 80% of what it is capable of when its analog power section is made rock stable like with the capacitor addon as described in the thread in my sig.

Once you hear it with balls and authority instead of 'thin' as stock youll be truly lost in the music.:)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,392 of 1,487
If you only heard a stock Dave, you have only heard about 80% of what it is capable of when its analog power section is made rock stable like with the capacitor addon as described in the thread in my sig.

Once you hear it with balls and authority instead of 'thin' as stock youll be truly lost in the music.:)

I read your project with swapping out the capacitors in the DAVE. All I can say is...wow. That's.... a lot. I'm comparing stock DAVE with MScaler to Holo May NOS mode. I don't think many people will be taking apart their DAVE to replace the capacitors in it.

I don't think the DAVE is in any way "thin" at stock. It's very forward and aggressive. I think most of the Chord sound is.

I'm really enjoying the true NOS mode of the Holo May KTE. It sounds more relaxed to me and not like it's trying to prove something. Just my preference for the time being after listening to a DAVE and MScaler for 2 1/2 years.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,393 of 1,487
I read your project with swapping out the capacitors in the DAVE. All I can say is...wow. That's.... a lot. I'm comparing stock DAVE with MScaler to Holo May NOS mode. I don't think many people will be taking apart their DAVE to replace the capacitors in it.

I don't think the DAVE is in any way "thin" at stock. It's very forward and aggressive. I think most of the Chord sound is.

I'm really enjoying the true NOS mode of the Holo May KTE. It sounds more relaxed to me and not like it's trying to prove something. Just my preference for the time being after listening to a DAVE and MScaler for 2 1/2 years.
It not so much replace but an addon and chance of circuit setup.

If you hear its effect next to stock youll know what i mean by 'thin'

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,394 of 1,487

I'm really interested in your opinion on these two compared...I love my Dave/MScaler pairing, though I have been eyeing the Holo May since a lot of the on the go listening I do is with R2R DAPS (LP6,P6Pro). Since I cannot demo it, I could use a Dave/MScaler load term owner's opinion on how the May complements , differs or bests the former.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,395 of 1,487
I'm really enjoying the true NOS mode of the Holo May KTE. It sounds more relaxed to me and not like it's trying to prove something.
Now give a try for a SR Purple or Master fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back