An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 4, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #931 of 1,492
Perhaps my TT2 / MS combo is good enough and I should not scratch the R2R itch with the angst of what version, May + Serene or HS 3, to buy!
@nwavesailor I have Rockna WaveLight next to M Scaled TT2 and this is end game for me. At the same time I am very happy that I took a chance and explored all different paths: off the shelf delta-sigma, R2R and Chord FPGA. I do not really care what is inside a dac as long as it sounds brilliant and gives me joy of long listening sessions. I still have a long list of dacs and amps I want to test one day. The exploration gives me a lot of fun too but at the same time I know I can return to my home and enjoy music.

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #932 of 1,492
What is the sound quality difference between L2 and KTE May? I've had the spring 3 KTE for a month, while it sounds fine, I'm thinking about taking a chance and go with the May.

From what I gathered from reviews and from talking to Holo team is, the difference between L2 and KTE is not significant. KTE will have a tad better transient response so a bit more snappier which one cannot make out until they do a test side by side but other aspects such as resolution, SS will be almost the same.

EDIT: and for the big difference ... you will miss that Kung Fu panda Fox thingy logo at the top if you dont get KTE .. LOL

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #933 of 1,492
From what I gathered from reviews and from talking to Holo team is, the difference between L2 and KTE is not significant. KTE will have a tad better transient response so a bit more snappier which one cannot make out until they do a test side by side but other aspects such as resolution, SS will be almost the same.

EDIT: and for the big difference ... you will miss that Kung Fu panda Fox thingy logo at the top if you dont get KTE .. LOL
@GoldenOne noted the same when he had the two side-by-side. He said the KTE was just a hair faster than the L2.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #934 of 1,492
@GoldenOne noted the same when he had the two side-by-side. He said the KTE was just a hair faster than the L2.

Yeah, I am quoting from the experts themselves :) in fact you and me also had a call on the version differences few months back ! Thanks for helping me out in the call to give pointers on HQp setup, I still think HQp is not that intuitive per what we see folks struggle through while using it . I am trying to follow HQp forum in Audiophile site but it gets very technical and that gives me a feeling that I need a degree in Audio engineering to follow those threads Ha Ha.

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #935 of 1,492
Arrived today.

when i plugged it in there was an issue with the volume being too low.
the may xlr outputs are at 5.8 vrms whereas my current dac is the usual 4vrms but volume level was less with the may for some reason.

after sussing many things out i realised my auralic streamer had dropped (and frozen) it’s volume output. No idea why. Maybe it shat itself with the new dac with the higher output, maybe it’s a protective mechanism. Having said that, the power is not going from dac to streamer. But i just needed to toggle off and on a few settings on the streamer software and that sorted it out.

now just burning in the dac whilst i try to deal with the heat of the weather (in australia)
I'd love to hear your experience/SQ impressions pre and post burn in

Jan 4, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #936 of 1,492
Jan 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #939 of 1,492
I am reading this entire entire forum and read that @GoldenOne had a level 2 May in an old post. Is this still the version you are using?
This would be helpful in my decision making prior to placing an order for a HS 3 or May.

Thanks

My humble take, May should be noticeably better than Spring so please stick with May. Within May, while KTE is the best , L2 is the sweet spot and many people go with sweet spot in a purchase whether it is audio or say, in a car trim

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #940 of 1,492
My humble take, May should be noticeably better than Spring so please stick with May. Within May, while KTE is the best , L2 is the sweet spot and many people go with sweet spot in a purchase whether it is audio or say, in a car trim
No doubt the May is a better DAC.
Just looking for the level of May since I will also need a Serene.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #941 of 1,492
I was told from a couple of suppliers that (with the May) there will be a noticeable difference between the level 2 and 3 (kte) particularly if you have better gear for the differences to show up with.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #945 of 1,492
Reading some advice from here I finally got over some hurdles with HQPlayer setup ... streaming some chillout from Apple Music upsampling to 1.4112M May -> Oor -> 1266 TC ... this is pure blis, the synergy is strong with this one. I can't get over how good this sounds :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::beerchug::beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back