An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Aug 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #481 of 1,488
May KTE vs Terminator Plus with Gaia DDC. Which would you guys buy?
You need to demo them and figure it out for yourself. As you can see there is clear bias when just asking people what they like because it’s expensive.

I have the May I like the May.

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #482 of 1,488
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #483 of 1,488
You need to demo them and figure it out for yourself. As you can see there is clear bias when just asking people what they like because it’s expensive.

I have the May I like the May.

Really good advice about having a demo. I went by what everyone was saying about the May and bought one sight unseen by mail order. I did not get on with it at all and sold it after three weeks, a decision that I do not regret at all.

I friend is bringing his new T+ to my house next month and I will listen to that with interest and in particular in comparison to the memory of the May.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #484 of 1,488
Really good advice about having a demo. I went by what everyone was saying about the May and bought one sight unseen by mail order. I did not get on with it at all and sold it after three weeks, a decision that I do not regret at all.

I friend is bringing his new T+ to my house next month and I will listen to that with interest and in particular in comparison to the memory of the May.
Is it too simple for me to presume that you won’t like that either since your extensive chord setup is what you are used to and particularly it is where your preferences lie?
With these other dac options being simply different seasoned options based around a similar (similar amongst them) different flavour?

Not that there is anything wrong with that of course

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #485 of 1,488

A demo is a good idea, but not that easy to arrange. Particularly hard when you want to compare 2 expensive models. I already found it hard to find what I like when there were still plenty of b&m stores.

The first thing that springs to mind when you say 'sold after 3 weeks' : doesn't any r2r dac require ample time to burn in? It can change quite dramatically even after weeks. 3 weeks would hardly be enough.

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #486 of 1,488
The first thing that springs to mind when you say 'sold after 3 weeks' : doesn't any r2r dac require ample time to burn in? It can change quite dramatically even after weeks. 3 weeks would hardly be enough.
Well, three weeks is enough time to evaluate sound properties, even if not fully burned. I'd like to hear from @Triode User more on the subject, thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #487 of 1,488
Problem is that r2r dacs as start measuring better, they sound like a good measuring ds dac. So don't worry about good sabre ds dac you have. 😂
I know you trying to rationalize yourself by r2r dac is not any better than DS. Don't be like child. You didn't hear holo audio dac variants.
r2r dac never sound like ds dac which is sounding like somewhat bull. For example, Chord mojo beaten by schiit mimby easily :편안한:
You know what, the only aspect that DS can best r2r was measurement, but look now haha :) Sorry, not even come close.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #489 of 1,488
You know what, the only aspect that DS can best r2r was measurement, but look now haha :) Sorry, not even come close.
What you would say if Holo DAC is partially Delta-Sigma (at least in one bits section)? :)

They call it R2R, but is not for two reasons. One, becaue it is segmented architecture (only a portion of a ladder is pure R2R). Second, they add an additional compensation ladder that further breaks R2R uniform impendance matching and a dynamic current flow.

They call it NOS, but it is not, because NOS DAC do not involve internal digital filtering, but Stereophile tests of May reveal use of digital filters in so called 'NOS' mode (in all three tested sample rates).

These two cases of wrong communication practice should give a thought that it can be a Delta-Sigma decoding on a portion of the ladder indeed. Not a first implementation of this kind, some chip-DACs are doing the same things.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #490 of 1,488
What you would say if Holo DAC is partially Delta-Sigma (at least in one bits section)? :)

They call it R2R, but is not for two reasons. One, becaue it is segmented architecture (only a portion of a ladder is pure R2R). Second, they add an additional compensation ladder that further breaks R2R uniform impendance matching and a dynamic current flow.

They call it NOS, but it is not, because NOS DAC do not involve internal digital filtering, but Stereophile tests of May reveal use of digital filters in so called 'NOS' mode (in all three tested sample rates).

These two cases of wrong communication practice should give a thought that it can be a Delta-Sigma decoding on a portion of the ladder indeed. Not a first implementation of this kind, some chip-DACs are doing the same things.
You’re doing it again

You seem to think that if you post this enough times people will start taking it serious to the point of what?

People will stop calling Holo dac NOS?when in fact it is. You just want it called “not true nos”?

Your hate for holo dacs aside i really am surprised how much you care.

am I putting words in your mouth lol

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #491 of 1,488
As long as it (or any other dac) sounds good.

Personally i couldn’t give two flying flucks how they work and whether they are (technically) or are not As they are purported by some to be or not to be

be it denafrips, be it holo audio, be it chord, be it anything

ymmv

all the best

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #492 of 1,488
People will stop calling Holo dac NOS?when in fact it is. You just want it called “not true nos”?
Call it as you want, but according to established standards Holo is not NOS.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #493 of 1,488
oh man, that after going on a cruisade against @GoldenOne for pointing out one of the denafrips wasn't nos and arguing till one got purple that a triangle is a square really, it's icing on the cake :)

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #495 of 1,488
oh man, that after going on a cruisade against @GoldenOne for pointing out one of the denafrips wasn't nos and arguing till one got purple that a triangle is a square really, it's icing on the cake :)
It is simply not true. The guy brought the Ares oversampling story in order to show that Holo is better (deemed a true NOS as Holo is not oversampling the same way as Ares). However both are cheating, each one just in a different way violate NOS. Denafrips is always ovesampling to 7xxkHz, Holo does digital filtering. As I pointed above, Holo may be even a Hybrid Delta-Sigma implementation, it is much worse in consequencies, please remember this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back