An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
May 5, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #1,321 of 1,492
For any M1 users, ASDM7EC-light plays nicely at DSD512 rates on the M1 Mini (and is a significant step up in SQ from AMSDM7EC 512 + fs at DSD512). Plenty of new filters to play with as well, but ASDM7EC-light is worth the price of admission. Be sure to get your discount if you have an existing HQP4 license.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,322 of 1,492
For any M1 users, ASDM7EC-light plays nicely at DSD512 rates on the M1 Mini (and is a significant step up in SQ from AMSDM7EC 512 + fs at DSD512). Plenty of new filters to play with as well, but ASDM7EC-light is worth the price of admission. Be sure to get your discount if you have an existing HQP4 license.
I’ve been running light 512 at 512 and super at 256 with the new sinc-MGa filter. Lots of new options to try

May 6, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,323 of 1,492
I’ve gone back and forth on a few different modulator / DSD rate combos for the M1 Mini. The following two are the standouts for me. DAC is a Holo May KTE (using an NAA with Jussi’s image)

DSD512 / ASDM7EC-Light (Sounds incredible, I could be happy with this honestly. Don’t let the “Light” fool you its no slouch. Right at the cusp of processing power for the M1 Mini)

DSD256 / ASDM7ECv3 (Clear winner, and not just an incremental improvement over v2. Sounds like a completely different modulator. I can’t believe what I am hearing. There is something about v3 that is intoxicating, ethereal and just sucks you in with the music enveloping you from all sides. Better sense of space between instruments, massive 3D stage with pinpoint instrument placement and natural decay, notes just hang in the air. Less processing power over DSD512 / ASDM7EC-Light as well which is a welcome bonus)

May 6, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,324 of 1,492
I’ve gone back and forth on a few different modulator / DSD rate combos for the M1 Mini. The following two are the standouts for me. DAC is a Holo May KTE (using an NAA with Jussi’s image)

DSD512 / ASDM7EC-Light (Sounds incredible, I could be happy with this honestly. Don’t let the “Light” fool you its no slouch. Right at the cusp of processing power for the M1 Mini)

DSD256 / ASDM7ECv3 (Clear winner, and not just an incremental improvement over v2. Sounds like a completely different modulator. I can’t believe what I am hearing. There is something about v3 that is intoxicating, ethereal and just sucks you in with the music enveloping you from all sides. Better sense of space between instruments, massive 3D stage with pinpoint instrument placement and natural decay, notes just hang in the air. Less processing power over DSD512 / ASDM7EC-Light as well which is a welcome bonus)
With which filter(s)?

May 6, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #1,325 of 1,492
With which filter(s)?
1x gauss-long
Nx gauss-hires-lp

My tried and true and I wanted a reference point that I was familiar with to really test the modulators as there are now numerous combos that work on an M1 Mini. I’ll probably play with filters later but honestly can’t stop listening. It’s perfect

May 6, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #1,326 of 1,492
1x gauss-long
Nx gauss-hires-lp

My tried and true and I wanted a reference point that I was familiar with to really test the modulators as there are now numerous combos that work on an M1 Mini. I’ll probably play with filters later but honestly can’t stop listening. It’s perfect

those two are my preferred filters too. and add in gauss xla. I briefly tried the EC-light and ECv3 modulators and they're indeed very good.

May 6, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #1,327 of 1,492
those two are my preferred filters too. and add in gauss xla. I briefly tried the EC-light and ECv3 modulators and they're indeed very good.
EC-super is great at DSD256 rates as well, but there is just something so compelling about ECv3

EC-light / DSD512 & EC-super / DSD256 sounded very similar to me

Jussi mentioned over at AS that ECv3 is the latest progression in the traditional lineage (ASDM7EC, v2, v3) while EC-light & EC-super are brand new modulators built from the ground up. Processing power is pretty close to equal on ECv3 and EC-super but they sound totally different to my ears (in other words EC-super isn’t a super ECv3)

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 10.26.06 PM.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,328 of 1,492
I spent first evening with ASDM7ECv3 (DSD256, gauss-long, gauss-hires-lp), - really nice improvement over v2, which was already great.

Today was an ASDM7EC-super night. Wow! This one I like even better. This modulator makes bass so fast and snappy and at the same time make high frequencies dmoother and more refined.

Going to try ASDM7EC-lite at 512 tomorrow.

HQPlayer already was a great thing, but with these upgrades it became much better.

May 7, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #1,329 of 1,492
sinc MGa
7EC-light
dsd256

very nice tones. good low end and very smooth pleasant highs. I think quite ideal for long listening sessions.

May 7, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #1,330 of 1,492
When others running the gauss-hires-lp filter are ready to dabble, check out poly-sinc-gauss-halfband for Oversampling Nx

May 13, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,332 of 1,492
Hi all, how do you use Mscaler with the Holo May? Since Mscaler requires dual BNC out? Does May take 2 coax simultaneously? Thank you!
I don't think there are many using the M-Scaler with the May, as the May only can accept 1 coax input. HQPlayer and May are the route many take.

May 13, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,334 of 1,492

Users who are viewing this thread

Back