An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Aug 28, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #571 of 1,488
Aug 28, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #572 of 1,488
Aug 28, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #574 of 1,488
Would the May sound better with the Wavedream and do we know if that i2s layout is compatible with the May?
I've not found a digital source yet that offered an improvement compared to just using the internal pll or usb. I will test it though

The i2s pinout will be compatible yes as the may can change its pinout. Can't remember which one fits ps audio though

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #576 of 1,488
There are some of us taking a USB 705 or 768kHz output from PGGB and HQP and converting it to dual BNC to play into our Chord DACs because we find that the the dual bnc sounds better than the usb.
I think it’s because of the DAC or HMS itself. Not because “USB vs. SPDIF” thing. I can’t say I’ve did a lot of testing on different sources, but I did some. I came to a conclusion that:

1. Chord HMS USB is very good, but it’s not the best possible input. SPDIF might slightly outperform USB. It feels more rhythmic to me. Not a big difference, I would not bet that I could find out which is which in blindtest.

2. Holo May USB is outstanding. Definitely the best input in this DAC. Might be the best USB implementation available today.

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #577 of 1,488
I think it’s because of the DAC or HMS itself. Not because “USB vs. SPDIF” thing. I can’t say I’ve did a lot of testing on different sources, but I did some. I came to a conclusion that:

1. Chord HMS USB is very good, but it’s not the best possible input. SPDIF might slightly outperform USB. It feels more rhythmic to me. Not a big difference, I would not bet that I could find out which is which in blindtest.

2. Holo May USB is outstanding. Definitely the best input in this DAC. Might be the best USB implementation available today.
Definitely wouldn't be a usb thing given as the src-dx has a usb input itself.

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #578 of 1,488
Definitely wouldn't be a usb thing given as the src-dx has a usb input itself.
^^^This.

In fact, when your source is PC, S/PDIF usually performs better than USB. It is a case when theoretically jitter-free data delivery (which most of current implementations support) is wasted in a presence of a hudge noise entering a DAC. S/PDIF is inferior to USB on the aspect of asynchronous data transfers (and PLL/ASRC clock recovery is not able do remove jitter completely), but quality transformers block most of the noise coming from a source. It is what matters.

This dual S/PDIF link is intended to double transfer speed, but it also makes easier job to recover clock from the data stream.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #579 of 1,488
Honestly, you can't really make a bad choice.

Personally I would say in order of my preference:

1) May and use the saved cash for an amp/transducer upgrade

2) Rockna wavedream

3) dave

But realistically any of these you're going to be very happy with

Let me a disagree with you in case of Dave a bit: not everyone is happy with Dave signature, I am one such example preferring HTT and there are other usability factors that differs Dave from HTT2 which may also lead somebody more towards HTT2 so I would rather write Dave/HTT2 than just Dave.

I am looking forward to hear both Rockna dna May finally.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #580 of 1,488
You push Audio-GD while ]eep pushes Denafrips. Nothing wrong with that, just let everyone know beforehand. That would show etiquette.
You are so completely mistaken. Don't judge before you have information. And no, opinions are not facts.

The fact that I bought a Denafrips does not mean I feel the need to 'push' them in any way. And no, I don't support any American car manufacturer either. I don't even have a drivers license. It's an anagram of my initials. If you would have kept track of my posts you would know that I prefer my own modified €45 filterles NOS dac over the Ares II (save the DSD capability). So much for me pushing Denafrips.

If ever I have any 'agenda' it is to make people think, be helpful, share my experience of 40 years in audio and get a great sounding system for the least amount of money.

If I am sympathetic towards Denafrips it is because they share the same goal (they say, although their equipment is pretty darn expensive in my book). Also, I am sympathetic towards any good, small Chinese audio manufacturers. I know all the pro's and contra's but I have some really bad experiences with prices of western equipment and the ridiculous prices for repairs and upgrades. They have the stuff made in sweatshops and sell us the exact same stuff (rebadged) for 10x the price. I rather buy direct and fix it myself if ever it's possible/worth it. I can buy a new one for less than the repair and have a huge upgrade in sound. I have bought and modified/upgraded about 50 units so far I think, ranging from headphones and speakers to dacs, amps, tube gear, phono amps, dacs, turntables etc.

So yes, that is my agenda, and it's pretty full.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #581 of 1,488
Honestly, you can't really make a bad choice.

Personally I would say in order of my preference:

1) May and use the saved cash for an amp/transducer upgrade

2) Rockna wavedream

3) dave

But realistically any of these you're going to be very happy with

If one were to take option 1, do you have any inclinations as to what type of amp would pair well with the May? For instance, I have a Topping A90 driving Focal Utopias. Would that setup get the most out of the May, or is there another amp you’d recommend?

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #582 of 1,488
For you yes. You see the point is everybody defines this word in a slightly (or completely) different way.
It's one of the most empty words in our hobby.
Maybe... But... Who's fault is that? People don't give a s#1t about language and the meaning of words. Bad education system, disinterest and ignorance of the value of words and their proper definition. Read '1984' by G Orwell and you will see that if you change the meaning of words you can make the people believe anything. It causes cognitive dissonance that stops any original thought and makes you go along with anything.

Also music and thus musical is derived from 'inspired by muses'. That means it is not a cognitive process. So it is pretty close to the definition I gave. If you think about it. I think. 🤔

So, whenever a journalist or professional writer uses terms and definitions to describe an experience he is normally, or should be, aware of some sort of consensus about the proper meaning of certain phrases. Words should be discriminating. And that is a big 'no no' in today's higher education system. (even that is word inflation in action, one 'no' should be quite enough).

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #583 of 1,488
If one were to take option 1, do you have any inclinations as to what type of amp would pair well with the May? For instance, I have a Topping A90 driving Focal Utopias. Would that setup get the most out of the May, or is there another amp you’d recommend?
With amps, it's generally way more dependent on what you intend to be driving. Different amps are ideal for different headphones.

The singxer SA-1 would definitely be my pick for under $1000, and would take it over an A90 without any hesitation.
If spending a bit more, then the GS-X mini, or Holo Serene might be good choices.

Tubes are of course an option but then it's most definitely a preference thing as they can sound so different.
The WA22 and HA6A are lovely.

Holo also has a headphone amp coming out later this year which could make a nice stack with the may so we'll have to see what that's like

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #584 of 1,488
With amps, it's generally way more dependent on what you intend to be driving. Different amps are ideal for different headphones.

The singxer SA-1 would definitely be my pick for under $1000, and would take it over an A90 without any hesitation.
If spending a bit more, then the GS-X mini, or Holo Serene might be good choices.

Tubes are of course an option but then it's most definitely a preference thing as they can sound so different.
The WA22 and HA6A are lovely.

Holo also has a headphone amp coming out later this year which could make a nice stack with the may so we'll have to see what that's like

Thanks! Yes, forgot about the forthcoming Bliss. The May + Bliss would still be less than the Dave, certainly less than the M+Dave. That might be the end of all games right there.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #585 of 1,488
Thanks! Yes, forgot about the forthcoming Bliss. The May + Bliss would still be less than the Dave, certainly less than the M+Dave. That might be the end of all games right there.
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for their new headphone amp. I wonder if it will pair well with the focal line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back