An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #8,521 of 9,499
That's essential what I run on the street during the warmer months, a modern equivalent of a Group-B car, or Group-N as the case may be. Very conservatively tuned, setup for corners. It's an adrenalin pump that urges one to go faster and faster. Doing 35MPH takes quite a bit of concentration. One look away from the road, and we're in the next lane. I do love it, I won't lie, but there's a serious chance of a Miata appearing in the garage.

[Come to think of it, I need to change all fluids including the diffs. Good times.]

Edit: After re-reading the post, I just realized that in 30+ years I've never owned a car with traction control, an automatic trans - sans our minivan - or a machine capable of achieving anything even close to 30MPG. The Miata should at least change the latter. :)

Minivan notwithstanding, there are times when one needs to get around without having to work the vehicle every second it's on the road. Thats where the Deuce's and Miata's come into play. Forgiving little creatures that won't toss you over a guardrail while you're changing music.

Still again all said and done. Nothing ever did slow with the alacrity and style of either the  X1/9 or 924. Magique will stomp my eyes out here but I'd actually take a 924 over a 944 any day of the week.
eek.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #8,522 of 9,499
Minivan notwithstanding, there are times when one needs to get around without having to work the vehicle every second it's on the road. Thats where the Deuce's and Miata's come into play. Forgiving little creatures that won't toss you over a guardrail while you're changing music.

I don't mind the concentration and being one with the machine. In fact, I love it. YMMV

Still again all said and done. Nothing ever did slow with the alacrity and style of either the  X1/9 or 924. Magique will stomp my eyes out here but I'd actually take a 924 over a 944 any day of the week.:eek:

Seriously? :D

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #8,523 of 9,499
Somehow, I suspect that going home in the Fezza with the trophy wife eased his pain...
tongue.gif

Not really in fact.

I was really amused by how childish he was.

He, according to the track's owner, planned to spend 2/3 hours there yet got off in just 3/4 of an hour. 

But really, his face and body language said it all. He just let the car cool down for 5 minutes (which wasn't really necessary given how slow he was) then yelled at his girlfriend and burned rubber on the way out. As if it was going to make him any faster.
rolleyes.gif

What was even more funny is that he was just like his car, angry and shouty yet unable to catch me in my smiling 7. Meanwhile, I was drinking a Schweppes looking at the 7.

It has a very appealing look this car, just like those small dogs who always want to play. Here it was, looking at me and I'm sure that if it could have talked it would have said : "Hey buddy, now that the ********'s out, what about shagging tires ?"

It's not just the Ferrari which has aftermarket parts I suppose.

No, the girlfriend had been artificially "enhanced" here and there as well. Typical Ferrarista girlfriend, probably was a stripper of some sort before she met him.

Not really attractive, yet just like the car she's going to be remarked anywhere she goes.

I felt sorry for her though, I wouldn't bear spending any meaningful amount of time with such a fool.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #8,524 of 9,499
I think the MGs, Triumphs & AH Sprites do slow better than the 924. They have the sound and the wind in your hair (or scalp as the case may be). So do Alfas and Fiats. The trick to all of them is keeping them running long enough to actually enjoy the drive... :p

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #8,525 of 9,499
I think the MGs, Triumphs & AH Sprites do slow better than the 924. They have the sound and the wind in your hair (or scalp as the case may be). So do Alfas and Fiats. The trick to all of them is keeping them running long enough to actually enjoy the drive... :p

Someone would have to pay me to run a 924. A 924S, different story.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #8,526 of 9,499
Someone would have to pay me to run a 924. A 924S, different story.

An S is even better.

With the exception of the 7 there are very few cars without roofs I would want to own. The Anglais flavours just never did it for me overall.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #8,527 of 9,499
So - I'm cruising down the freeway on my way home from work, and I start to see red tail lights come on ahead of me. OK - this is SoCal - a traffic issue is not exactly news.

However, the traffic does keep moving, but it is just slowing. We start bunching up, and then I notice a truck moving very slowly in the right-hand lane. However, this is not just a slow truck, it has a load of fruit bins stacked very high, and the entire truck is swaying a huge amount. This is not a weave - it is rolling back and forth like the S.S. Minnow on a 3 hour cruise.

I've never seen anything like this. I really don't know what the issue was - I didn't see a flat tire, but I really didn't get a good look. Maybe he broke a rim or part of his suspension? He was moving exactly like an old cartoon car!

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #8,528 of 9,499
I had a guy behind me today leaning on his horn, because, apparently, 40MPH in a 35MPH residential area was not fast enough. I was in my Evo. Call me a jerk, I slowed him down to ~20, then hit the throttle back to 40. The honking stopped. I guess seeing what I looked like, as we sat next to each other at a light, helped. Where do these people come from?:rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #8,529 of 9,499
Must be a slow day if the traffic reports are the news.

Lemme help you out.

The SCUD is back!

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #8,531 of 9,499
So much for their road cars, it was a good run while it lasted.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #8,532 of 9,499
So much for their road cars, it was a good run while it lasted.

Well as it is late how about a bedtime story. As I have a rather odd background you may appreciate this.

Many, many years ago, while walking with my father ,this wonderfully throaty vehicle goes past. I asked him what kind of car that was. His reply was it's a Ferrari. I was absolutely aghast and stopped dead and turned to him. "They make road cars?" until that point my only experience with the marque was at racetracks. The reply I got was yes of course they do. Which in turn led to my own and all young childrens favourite of all interrogatives. "Why?"

It's one of those moments that sticks with me all through life. The absolute incredulity that someone so adept at making a track car would bother with a road vehicle. It seemed somehow to be inappropriate if not outright degrading that the maker of Phil Hill's shark nosed 156 was somehow coerced into this, because a race car builder would not of course, build a road car willingly.

Odd how experiences form opinions.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #8,533 of 9,499
I'm so disillusioned and bored with cars now, it's way too much hassle and expense than it's worth. I'm seriously thinking about selling them all off and giving the money to charity. :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #8,535 of 9,499
I'm so disillusioned and bored with cars now, it's way too much hassle and expense than it's worth. I'm seriously thinking about selling them all off and giving the money to charity.
frown.gif

OK I'll bite. What brought this on? The Pagani decide to disassemble itself again or something more horrific?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back