An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,216 of 9,499
Quote:
Gotta love the class warfare that has been fostered over the years.

This I honestly don't get.  When someone is doing well (without being an evil ass), I am genuinely happy for them.

And, in my experience, successful people are very willing to help others (like myself) up the ladder as well - if people only asked.  There is a wealth of mentoring possibilities in this area that are oft-ignored.

Instead, some people like to gripe and moan about what they don't have instead working harder/smarter to get there themselves.  Then they work up all this crazy resentment, and it just goes downhill from there.  What a shame...

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,217 of 9,499
All part of the psychology of entitlement. Good heavens, you don't expect people to actually need to put in effort, do you? That is simply silly. It takes no effort whatsoever to hold your hand out and say "gimme".

I'm straying into politics here - but I think people that work hard should be able to benefit from that hard work. Those that are not willing to work hard should expect nothing.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,218 of 9,499
What I don't get - after reading magick's post - is why anyone would chop up a GT to make it sort-of look like a Ferrari. I mean no, the GT isn't the same, but they're headturners and roadburners in their own right, and there aren't too many of them out there to be hacking up willy-nilly. Seriously.

I mean this isn't like throwing the front casette from an Escalade on your GMC, or putting Audi badges on your VW. We're talking killing a beautiful car just to show everyone that you're a poser. Sheesh.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,219 of 9,499
I don't get creating a copy of modern car. Creating a copy of an easily recognized classic, like the AC Cobra, Porsche Speedster or Ferarri Daytona makes sense - but let's face it - the unwashed masses can't tell the difference between the MP4-12C, Gallardo, 458, Veyron or Zonda. To most non-car people they all look like weird flying saucers.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,220 of 9,499
Speaking of classics, I really think Magick should consider a Delta Integrale.  It won't resonate in his loins, but he'll have a blast driving it!

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,221 of 9,499
All part of the psychology of entitlement. Good heavens, you don't expect people to actually need to put in effort, do you? That is simply silly. It takes no effort whatsoever to hold your hand out and say "gimme".
I'm straying into politics here - but I think people that work hard should be able to benefit from that hard work. Those that are not willing to work hard should expect nothing.

Nail > head. Although it's uncommon, I do get some hostile reactions at times, and mostly from the late teens/early 20s. It's just about always directed at the cars themselves, though the vast majority of the time people are enjoy looking at them and whipping out their phones for a quick pic.

What I don't get - after reading magick's post - is why anyone would chop up a GT to make it sort-of look like a Ferrari. I mean no, the GT isn't the same, but they're headturners and roadburners in their own right, and there aren't too many of them out there to be hacking up willy-nilly. Seriously.
I mean this isn't like throwing the front casette from an Escalade on your GMC, or putting Audi badges on your VW. We're talking killing a beautiful car just to show everyone that you're a poser. Sheesh.

Not a real Ford GT, like I said, a kit GT. One company makes one that comes complete with frame.

I don't get creating a copy of modern car. Creating a copy of an easily recognized classic, like the AC Cobra, Porsche Speedster or Ferarri Daytona makes sense - but let's face it - the unwashed masses can't tell the difference between the MP4-12C, Gallardo, 458, Veyron or Zonda. To most non-car people they all look like weird flying saucers.

I'd say for people our age that's not far off, but the younger generations seem to be following modern supercars more closely, due to their idols driving them. I know when I was 10 I could give you specs of most of the great Italian, German, and British cars, but I was considered... unusual. :wink:

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,222 of 9,499
Speaking of classics, I really think Magick should consider a Delta Integrale.  It won't resonate in his loins, but he'll have a blast driving it!

Good luck finding one in decent shape on this side of the pond. An alternative is the Shelby Omni GLHS, even by today's standards it's fast.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #1,223 of 9,499
I think I am in love with this car.....listen to that engine! 

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #1,224 of 9,499
Makes me so sad to see manuals disappearing, better grab them while you can.

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,225 of 9,499
Magick - I found a stablemate for the Isetta - the Messerschmitt KR175 or KR200. Some of you might remember this as the car driven by "Cousin Itt" from the Addam's Family.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46gw8YMTeA[/VIDEO]

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #1,226 of 9,499
Magick - I found a stablemate for the Isetta - the Messerschmitt KR175 or KR200. Some of you might remember this as the car driven by "Cousin Itt" from the Addam's Family.

Cute little thing. Holy cow, a fully restored KR200 goes for 50k... pricey little so-and-sos, aren't they? Maybe down the road, for the Mrs' tiny car collection. I'll show it to her.

Between parental stuff, juggling calls, and business junk, I did finalize with the guy who owns the `88 M5. We agreed on $15,500 delievered, and that's very fair. He's only in Birmingham, so he's going to load it on a trailer and deliver it himself. I mentioned that I could pay a service $500 to deliver it or I could pay him, since he's relatively close, and he jumped on that. Also, this way I get to meet him, ask questions, and actually check out the car before buying. I swore, swore on my grandmother's soul, to my wife that this is absolutely the last car I'll buy until the Aston is squared away. The meatheads at my garage are fixing the Cobra and are going to go ahead and do the mods and paint. The Aston is coming along, slowly but surely, complete nut and bolt restos take time, especially when it's only 2 people doing it.

Oh, and everyone, meet Emma, our new foster daughter. Like I mentioned before, she is distantly related to my wife and we are planning to adopt when the system lets us. She's a real cutie, IIDSSM, and very curious.

Thoroughly investigating her nana's camera (before trying to chew on it a few seconds later).

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,227 of 9,499
Dec 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,228 of 9,499
Makes me so sad to see manuals disappearing, better grab them while you can.

I agree - running through the gears under hard acceleration while coming out of a tight turn is one of the great joys of driving. Your left foot is working the clutch, your right foot the throttle, your left hand the wheel and your right hand the shift lever (unless your steering wheel is on the other side of the cockpit). It is BIG fun!

I was never very good at the heel-toe technique. I tried for many years, but I never felt very comfortable with it. Maybe I need the flappy paddles as I go *into* the turn, but I want the clutch and shifter as I power out! :D

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,229 of 9,499
Quote:
Oh, and everyone, meet Emma, our new foster daughter. Like I mentioned before, she is distantly related to my wife and we are planning to adopt when the system lets us. She's a real cutie, IIDSSM, and very curious.

Thoroughly investigating her nana's camera (before trying to chew on it a few seconds later).

Nothing to say here except a collective,"Awwww....so cute!" 
Congrats Dad....it's all fun and games until she's a teenager! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back