An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Dec 8, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #1,231 of 9,499
I agree - running through the gears under hard acceleration while coming out of a tight turn is one of the great joys of driving. Your left foot is working the clutch, your right foot the throttle, your left hand the wheel and your right hand the shift lever (unless your steering wheel is on the other side of the cockpit). It is BIG fun!
I was never very good at the heel-toe technique. I tried for many years, but I never felt very comfortable with it. Maybe I need the flappy paddles as I go *into* the turn, but I want the clutch and shifter as I power out! :D

One of the few things I excel at is driving, and there are few things I love more in this world than the feel of a good manual.

There are lots of fun & games when she becomes a teenager - but they are just fun for her, not for Dad...

I own guns, many many guns. :wink:

and I'm not "daddy", we've decided it's going to be "papa". I like the old fashioned ring to that.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,233 of 9,499
My daughter doesn't call me anything - all I ever get is the world's biggest eye-roll.

Gotta love the Onion. Though the Youtube comments make me weep for future of mankind. :blink:

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,234 of 9,499
M5 arriving tomorrow, that should be cool. The Cobra is fixed and is being stripped and painted, I think my mechanic works every day, but then if I were married to his wife, I'd hide in the garage too. She's a rather bitter and angry person.

Even though it's okay, we're going to strip out a lot of the vinyl interior. It feels a little cheap and isn't going to look right with the blue, I'm thinking about going with a brushed alloy look or something like that. We're also attaching a skid plate and tube bumpers.

billy, you should grab this RX-7, it looks like a real gem.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121207/CARNEWS01/121209887

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,235 of 9,499
M5 arriving tomorrow, that should be cool. The Cobra is fixed and is being stripped and painted, I think my mechanic works every day, but then if I were married to his wife, I'd hide in the garage too. She's a rather bitter and angry person.
Even though it's okay, we're going to strip out a lot of the vinyl interior. It feels a little cheap and isn't going to look right with the blue, I'm thinking about going with a brushed alloy look or something like that. We're also attaching a skid plate and tube bumpers.
billy, you should grab this RX-7, it looks like a real gem.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121207/CARNEWS01/121209887

I like that RX-7; I agree - billy you *should* get it! :)

Magick - you're gonna have to do a double shoot with the Cobra and the Aston once they're both done. :cool:

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,236 of 9,499
I like that RX-7; I agree - billy you *should* get it! :)
Magick - you're gonna have to do a double shoot with the Cobra and the Aston once they're both done. :cool:

You're talking about sometime in Spring of next year, if not later. Apparently the people who do the interior have their own timetable, and they get to it when it's your turn. No big deal, they do a better job than anyone else in the US and it really does duplicate the original perfectly.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,239 of 9,499
Well, covers are the least of its issues, it doesn't even have seats right now... or a dash, console, steering wheel, shifter... it's pretty much bare metal.

Edit: Oh, and, it's coming....

or rather, it's soon on the build floor.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,243 of 9,499
300k for a car does cause some pucker, for sure. Wait until I track down the F40 I want.

Not a single soul has asked about the M5 and in some ways it's the coolest car I've gotten since this thread started,

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #1,244 of 9,499
I'm on a business trip, and I'm renting a car with Hertz. I'm a Hertz Gold member and Hertz was running some sort of special for renting a Nissan Altima 2-door coupe. Ok - whatever, it was the same price as the typical Chevy Cruze of Ford Fusion that I typically rent, so fine. I get to the airport and go to pick-up my car - and they gave me a Chevy Equinox. Hmm - reserve a 2 door coupe, end-up with an SUV crossover. Yeah, that makes sense. Why do companies even bother running nationally advertised specials like that? I made this reservation at hertz.com - they knew where I was going - and (I hope) they know what cars they have in inventory. Is it really that hard to manage their inventory? I made this reservation over a month ago - how about an email telling me "sorry, we don't have the car you reserved, here's what we do have, please choose one" I don't know why, but this irritates me - why is it that any service connected to travel is allowed to be so horrible?

As far as the Chevy Equinox - it is actually a nice vehicle. I was very surprised - it drives well, and it's quiet and comfortable. The rear-view camera is pretty cool - I've never had a car with that feature before. Chevy really is making some decent vehicles now - I'm pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back