An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #587 of 9,499
I would be careful with that Caddie - it sounds like it could transform into an Autobot at any time. That would make your wife Megan Fox... :wink:

:rolleyes: ***hole. How dare you say I'd touch that disgusting thing?! (Talking about Fox.)

Edit: Oh, quick trivia. What's faster than a Rolls/Bentley service center?

Answer: Everything.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #589 of 9,499
Most repos are stealth grabs, the guys come and take it without you finding out until it's too late. This jerk found out they were coming to get it, so he stabbed the seats and dash, sprayed a 2 liter Coke into it, and then dumped in his garbage. The warped wheel is a mystery, but the service fellas found an identical one at a salvage yard for cheap. Here's the deal, though. That's stupid. Because he or she's on the hook for whatever they still owe if the auction didn't pay off the car, and the creditor will nag the crap out of him and maybe even have his income garnished to get their money. It's a bad deal all around. Best just to clean the car up real nice and return it in good shape, so it will bring more and save a lot of hassle.

In any case, the manager said once they finish with it it'll be sound as a pound, and we'll still have less in it than it would have cost buying it used at a dealer, even at wholesale, so that's not so bad. They also have the software and system to update the ECU on hand, and are including that gratis. So there's a "free" 20hp. I'm annoyed, but it could be a lot worse.

The Caddie is good, but it really needs a manual or DC gearbox. The automatic is WAY too conservative, even in manual mode. It constantly wants to shift up, even when you're driving rather aggressively. You have to drive it like you stole it to keep the revs up, and that kills a lot of the fun factor of the car. That's the real meat of the issue, then. All that extra added horsepower, it isn't helping matters very much, in fact it may even be causing problems. To keep the RPMs high, you have to flog it, BUT if you flog it, that 650+hp is there to bite you and you'll kick the tail out or get wheelspin, even at >80mph. Combating that are the Pilot SS meats, which are ultra-grippy, and they make the difference, but just barely. To get the very best out of this car, with its AT, you have to take it right to the ragged edge and pay attention. If not, you'll be wearing a sign post as a bow tie and St Peter will be wagging his finger at you, faster than you can spit. Still, for the money, this is a hardcore sports sedan, the value is staggering. For what I bought it for, town cruising and trips, it's right on the money. Buy one if you're able, seriously, but just make sure to get a stick.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #591 of 9,499
The problem with that is it ruins regular driving. If there was a way to turn it on and off, then that would be great, but I'm not aware of a mod that does that, unfortunately.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #592 of 9,499
Edit: Oh, quick trivia. What's faster than a Rolls/Bentley service center?
Answer: Everything.

The time it takes for the Rolls/Bentley to break down again? :p

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #593 of 9,499
Most repos are stealth grabs, the guys come and take it without you finding out until it's too late. This jerk found out they were coming to get it, so he stabbed the seats and dash, sprayed a 2 liter Coke into it, and then dumped in his garbage. The warped wheel is a mystery, but the service fellas found an identical one at a salvage yard for cheap. Here's the deal, though. That's stupid. Because he or she's on the hook for whatever they still owe if the auction didn't pay off the car, and the creditor will nag the crap out of him and maybe even have his income garnished to get their money. It's a bad deal all around. Best just to clean the car up real nice and return it in good shape, so it will bring more and save a lot of hassle.

Yeah. Typical angsty youngins.

I also would think people would know their stuff is out for repo - if you're past 90 days, and have gotten the final notice, you should know. If not, shame on you.

In any case, the manager said once they finish with it it'll be sound as a pound, and we'll still have less in it than it would have cost buying it used at a dealer, even at wholesale, so that's not so bad. They also have the software and system to update the ECU on hand, and are including that gratis. So there's a "free" 20hp. I'm annoyed, but it could be a lot worse.
The Caddie is good, but it really needs a manual or DC gearbox. The automatic is WAY too conservative, even in manual mode. It constantly wants to shift up, even when you're driving rather aggressively. You have to drive it like you stole it to keep the revs up, and that kills a lot of the fun factor of the car. That's the real meat of the issue, then. All that extra added horsepower, it isn't helping matters very much, in fact it may even be causing problems. To keep the RPMs high, you have to flog it, BUT if you flog it, that 650+hp is there to bite you and you'll kick the tail out or get wheelspin, even at >80mph. Combating that are the Pilot SS meats, which are ultra-grippy, and they make the difference, but just barely. To get the very best out of this car, with its AT, you have to take it right to the ragged edge and pay attention. If not, you'll be wearing a sign post as a bow tie and St Peter will be wagging his finger at you, faster than you can spit. Still, for the money, this is a hardcore sports sedan, the value is staggering. For what I bought it for, town cruising and trips, it's right on the money. Buy one if you're able, seriously, but just make sure to get a stick.

Sounds like the STS honestly. How uggo.

The problem with that is it ruins regular driving. If there was a way to turn it on and off, then that would be great, but I'm not aware of a mod that does that, unfortunately.

Yeah, got no ideas there. Spend a fortune and have it switched to a manu? :p

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #594 of 9,499
Magic,

Why not do a compromise? Just have them move the shift points slightly. No need to go overboard. Or once you put the car in sport mode, Change the program settings in the ecu to move the shift points up, but in the regular mode, move them back down. My Pontiac gtp does that, it's a performance shift button that moves the shift points Up. You can just toggle preformance mouse on and off.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #595 of 9,499
That's actually in Sport mode, Tour mode is even worse. :D

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #596 of 9,499
Quote:

feel sorry for the people who do the repos
theres a tv show called repo men that i like to watch
they have to bring a baseball bat with them, but its no competition for the stuff they have to go after eg. bike from a biker gang, and they gets guns pointed at them all the time

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #597 of 9,499
Quote:
That's actually in Sport mode, Tour mode is even worse.
biggrin.gif

that sucks. Try contacting ligenfelter (sp?) See if they have anyone near you that could change some setting perhaps?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #598 of 9,499
I apologize, I was told by my wife that I'm b**ching about nothing. :rolleyes: Apparently what I think is sluggish and awful she says is fast and incredible. Obviously I have unrealistic expectations and there's nothing wrong with the car.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #599 of 9,499
Quote:
I apologize, I was told by my wife that I'm b**ching about nothing.
rolleyes.gif
Apparently what I think is sluggish and awful she says is fast and incredible. Obviously I have unrealistic expectations and there's nothing wrong with the car.

No just you can feel the car. Once you get to know how the car drives you should be able to feel how it drives and in that feel the flaws if there are any. Like I can feel the flaws in my car and it pisses me off because I know how it should run when it's perfect. Very smooth ride and balanced. Probably gonna have to get an alignment and change shocks.... So basically is your transmission shifting too often and when you shift it's then going too fast? I have this where a lot of the time my transmission will want to up-shift but that requires going faster yet I can feel it straining in the current gear. It's also irritating for me :).

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #600 of 9,499
Quote:
I apologize, I was told by my wife that I'm b**ching about nothing.
rolleyes.gif
Apparently what I think is sluggish and awful she says is fast and incredible. Obviously I have unrealistic expectations and there's nothing wrong with the car.

Hmm, the thought just occurred to me that she might actually read what is said here on occasion. 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back