An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #571 of 9,499
I'm pretty sure it is GMC credit, I'm not kidding about the >80% GMs.

Dani's going to bid on a 2009 Mini Cooper S and she's talking smack in the bidders' chat area... this won't go well.

At least it's Racing Green.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #572 of 9,499
I'm pretty sure it is GMC credit, I'm not kidding about the >80% GMs.
Dani's going to bid on a 2009 Mini Cooper S and she's talking smack in the bidders' chat area... this won't go well.
At least it's Racing Green.

Is it at least adorable for you to watch? Also, gonna lol when you end up spending more on the Cooper than on the Cadillac.

And by "adorable" I mean in that "girlfriend at the local pub/sportsbar/etc and she got into the hooliganism while wearing a jersey and all that jazz" way.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #573 of 9,499
Oh yeah, like really far over into the cute area. Talking trash in her Oakland Raiders jersey and underwear. LOL

Well, she won, and it was a decent price, $14500 (including 7% premium). She's hyper-excited. It has leather and a ton of options on it, retail book is 19-ish. Also it's a manual, so now she has a modern car to learn on, which was part of the reason for getting it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #574 of 9,499
Oh yeah, like really far over into the cute area. Talking trash in her Oakland Raiders jersey and underwear. LOL

lol.

Well, she won, and it was a decent price, $14500 (including 7% premium). She's hyper-excited. It has leather and a ton of options on it, retail book is 19-ish. Also it's a manual, so now she has a modern car to learn on, which was part of the reason for getting it.

Not bad. I should mention here that I've always hated Minis, mostly because I can't physically fit into them. :xf_eek:

So have you exceeded the total number of car slots in your new garage before it's even built yet? :p

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #575 of 9,499
Quote:
Once it got over $25k most people dropped out, after $30k it was just me and one other person, and they dropped out at $32750. So, that, plus 7% buyer's premium puts it at almost exactly $35k + tax (and I can pay the tax myself later). That's pretty good, I'm happy. It's been the second most expensive car of the night so far, next to a 2011 Z06 `vette that went for a whopping $58k.
I'm thinking this is the GMC credit repo auction, at least 80% of the cars are GMs.

Quote:
lol @ GMC credit repo. Either that, or you're living in The Matrix.
tongue.gif
(Did that totally bug the crap out of anyone else?)
Watch her get a Prius or something.
tongue.gif

Also, nuttiest thing I've ever heard put on an AmEx (black card though) was ~14 day rental of a complete 4-star resort property (~$350,000/day + room charges for ~100 guests). The initial ~$400,000 deposit prompted a near immediate call from AmEx, a few moments with the cardholder, and lo and behold: Authorized. I have no idea why you'd want to run upwards of $4 million at 26%, but hey, they approved the charges!

I was in the wheel business for 20 years. Cars just have to be looked at as a luxury in general. A good deal is a state of mind. That state of mind is in the buyers head. You can scientifically do all kinds of estimates. We have all seen some really wealthy people driving super old cars just because they don't like the deprecation. I used a Kelly Blue Book but even then there was always a call to a wholesaler to find out what was soft at that point in time.

It was always a surprise as to how a particular car dropped! At times I would have to call 2 or 3 wholesalers to make sure my used buy bid was correct. One of the biggest surprises was in 08 with the top BMW series cars. In four years the cars were dropping 50K in value. Some stuff is just soft on the market. In the end nothing really matters. Just get a car you like and can afford. If it's safe and fun to drive then that's all it is. Some cars are high maintenance and some are not. Some have a high resale some don't. The crazy part about the phenomena becomes delineated when you look at an 84 Caddie and an 84 Toyota, now they are both worth $900.00 but new there was a 28K difference between them. That's what happens to all cars over time. So who cares, you can't take your money with you, learn to enjoy life with it!

Talk about big CC runs........check these kids out!

http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

Luxury cars take the biggest 1st year hit but who cares. If you like the color and did a car-fax it's still under warranty. I purchased my last used car used at one year old and it was great. Let the first guy take the biggest book drop.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #576 of 9,499
I was in the wheel business for 20 years. Cars just have to be looked at as a luxury in general. A good deal is a state of mind. That state of mind is in the buyers head. You can scientifically do all kinds of estimates. We have all seen some really wealthy people driving super old cars just because they don't like the deprecation. I used a Kelly Blue Book but even then there was always a call to a wholesaler to find out what was soft at that point in time.

It was always a surprise as to how a particular car dropped! At times I would have to call 2 or 3 wholesalers to make sure my used buy bid was correct. One of the biggest surprises was in 08 with the top BMW series cars. In four years the cars were dropping 50K in value. Some stuff is just soft on the market. In the end nothing really matters. Just get a car you like and can afford. If it's safe and fun to drive then that's all it is. Some cars are high maintenance and some are not. Some have a high resale some don't. The crazy part about the phenomena becomes delineated when you look at an 84 Caddie and an 84 Toyota, now they are both worth $900.00 but new there was a 28K difference between them. That's what happens to all cars over time. So who cares, you can't take your money with you, learn to enjoy life with it!

[COLOR=FF0000] Talk about big CC runs........check these kids out![/COLOR]

http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

Luxury cars take the biggest 1st year hit but who cares. If you like the color and did a car-fax it's still under warranty. I purchased my last used car used at one year old and it was great. Let the first guy take the biggest book drop.

Gotta +1 this.
And when you say wheel, do you mean actual "rims" - or you were a car dealer?

Also, the more I click through that tumblr, the more I lose faith in the ability of our species to survive for more than a few generations beyond today.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #577 of 9,499
Quote:
Gotta +1 this.
And when you say wheel, do you mean actual "rims" - or you were a car dealer?
Also, the more I click through that tumblr, the more I lose faith in the ability of our species to survive for more than a few generations beyond today.

Actually, I was the floor manager at one of the biggest motor home dealers so we received cars, boats and motor homes in on trade and had to turn em back into money again.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #578 of 9,499
Actually, I was the floor manager at one of the biggest motor home dealers so we received cars, boats and motor homes in on trade and had to turn em back into money again.

Oh I see.

And my god this tumblr, I'm still viewing it. Seriously our entire species is going to be gone by 2050. :ph34r:

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #579 of 9,499
Quote:
Oh I see.
And my god this tumblr, I'm still viewing it. Seriously our entire species is going to be gone by 2050.
ph34r.gif

So funny!
biggrin.gif

When Facebook purchased Instagram a while back for 1 billion there were only 13  employees in the company! There may be some real richkids of instagram!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #580 of 9,499
Quote:
going to bid on a 2009 Mini Cooper S and she's talking smack in the bidders' chat area... this won't go well.

LOL, so a pretty fun night then!  And productive to boot.  Are you guys gonna throw a goodbye party for her old car?  And by goodbye party I mean curse at it and throw rotting produce... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #581 of 9,499
Nope, she'll keep her beetle, she loves that thing, the Mini is just a "toy". Provided it runs right and has no major issues... :rolleyes: At least it won't take up much room.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #582 of 9,499
Quote:
Nope, she'll keep her beetle, she loves that thing, the Mini is just a "toy". Provided it runs right and has no major issues...
rolleyes.gif
At least it won't take up much room.

She can probably stack her Beetle and Mini in one slot at that.  And I guess you guys can always re-sell it after she learns manual (as she'll probably be driving the Porsche or the Aston by then).

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #583 of 9,499
I have a wonderful Mini Cooper story. A friend who was really into traditional muscle cars purchased a Mini Cooper on Ebay from Texas. It was drop-shipped to his house in Long Beach California. He did everything he could to hop up the engine and running gear.

1} Cold Air Intake
2} Blower/Turbo
3} Engine Frame Bracing
4} Car Lowering
5} Chip

He spent 23K in after market junk.

These are the things I can remember. It was the scariest car I have ever has the pleasure of ridding in.

He waited till the mods were done, and being I was one of his good friends decided to take me on the ride of my life. Needless to say I screamed like an 11 year old school girl.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #584 of 9,499
She's not driving the Aston unless I'm with her, nope, nu-uh. That's much more for her safety than me being worried about the car.

I get a truck and two car hauler and we go to Chattanooga to get the cars after the wife finished her morning class. We arrive and find where they're kept, I pay the people, and we're taken to the lot. The Caddie is fine, excellent shape, it just needs a full detail, basic service, and some new tires. No big thing. The Mini is trashed. Outside it looks okay aside from some scratches and a sizable dent, but the interior is a mess, likely deliberate since it was being repo'd. There's trash and this syrupy nasty crap all over the place, and it smelled like a pig had given birth in it. It doesn't turn over, has absolutely no fuel, and someone had taken a knife or box cutter to the seats and stabbed the dash. Instead of messing with it, I was irritated at this point, we pushed it out to the hauler and several dudes working there helped me get it loaded. The Caddie just started right up and I drove it right up the ramp, piece of cake.

We get it all secured and my wife is bummed over the Mini and starts the "blaming everyone else" game. I warned her about buying it sight unseen, she hadn't even looked at any interior photos and the ones that were on the site were blurry and poor, but she rushed right in. I just let her get it out of her system and bit my tongue. I love her with all my heart, but sometimes... :rolleyes: We grab some hibachi takeout and hop back on I-75 and head back to Knoxville and I call ahead to the service/detailing shop I know. So, when we get there we drop the cars off and I tell them to just do what they need to do, and if they can take them to NTB a half block down and get new shoes for them too, that would be great.

So we grab a taxi and head to the mall, watch a movie (Looper, it was good), walk around, shop, that kind of stuff, and the shop guys call. The Caddie is done; detailed, serviced, new Michelin Pilot SS tires, et al. and "they need to talk with me about it". :confused: They did what they could with the Mini, but it needs more work; blown head gasket, new dash, some new upholstery, new battery, new brakes, and one of the wheels is warped (warped??).

We go back and the Caddie is gorgeous, looks like a brand new car, inside and out. They'd even ran it on the dyno, they'd said they might, and they found out the car pulls 653bhp and 625 lb/ft of torque. That made them curious, heh, so they investigated and found out it had the Lingenfelter hardware and software upgrades! :blink: I feel bad for the guy who lost this car. The poor Mini? It looks much, much better, but they need a couple days to finish it up. Not sure what it will tally up to with the repairs.

The guys said they'd take the truck and trailer back, which was nice of them, so we left the other car in their capable hands and drove the CTS-V home. I will say this, I've never in all my born days drove anything quite like it. It's composed, calm, and very comfortable. You can drive it around town and it behaves like a Caddie should, it even said we were getting 24MPG just cruising along. Then, you put it in Sport mode aaaaand it rips your head clean off. Its acceleration is brutal, savage, and absolutely destroys the old CTS-V I had... and everything else. It is without a doubt the fastest car I've ever driven, and it handles very well, surprisingly well, though not on the same level as the Carrera S. I'll take it out some more tomorrow and give it a good run in the daytime and then I'll have a better impression.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #585 of 9,499
That's a bummer for her about the Mini, but that CTS-V sounds like an absolute blast! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back