An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,416 of 9,499
Okay, call me captain obvious... but I think the presence of ACTUAL rednecks is probably the biggest clue there.

The Neons were notoriously crappy, IIRC.

And which body is most damaged in that shot, one of the men or the car? 
biggrin.gif

I can't decide which of these comments made me laugh more...:D

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,417 of 9,499
Quick question.  If someone is intending to repair an object, would that person be fixin' to fix something?  And if so, doesn't that present a minor recursive nightmare?

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #2,418 of 9,499
Something my wife sent, this is a Georgian church converted into a home, in Surrey.

That's just pure awesome, right there.

So, we're leaving paradise and heading to Auckland, for sightseeing and shopping. This has been pretty relaxing and I liked the locals. On a scale of 1 to 5; one being Quebec and the rude, snooty prats there (it can burn down before I'll go back), and 5 being the incredible Irish "everyone's our family, have a drink", the Kiwis have been a solid 4. Nice peeps. :cool:

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,419 of 9,499
Hey, don't take this in a bad way at all, but I'm honestly surprised that this hasn't happened to you yet.  I mean, you've had some colorful stories so I figured this would be old hat and all.

Well, it has been implied with a few other couples, but this was the first full-court press by both. My wife was quite upset, she takes our vows very seriously (as do I) and loathes cheaters and philanderers. She's of the "marriage is a sacrament" frame of mine, and while I'm not as religious, I do agree that marital bonds are sacred.

Interesting about the T50s, I may check out the UE700s, then.

No. Partly because if it hadn't started for 15 years, it would mean it was more or less DOA from Chrysler (then again...:rolleyes:).

Better example of a redneck vehicle:

The man on the left, from our perspective, is the Rt Honorable Judge Thomas Frierson (TN court of appeals). It was a staged shot, with him just goofing off. LOL! :D

The $150 Timberlands are a bit of a giveaway. :wink:

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,420 of 9,499
Quick question.  If someone is intending to repair an object, would that person be fixin' to fix something?  And if so, doesn't that present a minor recursive nightmare?

And I think to that, a redneck would respond: "what's recursive?" :p

But yeah, "fixin' to..." would be correct. :rolleyes:

The man on the left, from our perspective, is the Rt Honorable Judge Thomas Frierson (TN court of appeals). It was a staged shot, with him just goofing off. LOL! :D

The $150 Timberlands are a bit of a giveaway. :wink:

You can't be serious...

Also, those look more like Red Wings. :xf_eek:

I dig the church-house, but is it really just one big room?

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,421 of 9,499
I was just thinking, would a church converted into a house still be "Holy Ground" so you would be safe from getting your head chopped off by the Highlander?

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2,422 of 9,499
I was just thinking, would a church converted into a house still be "Holy Ground" so you would be safe from getting your head chopped off by the Highlander?

It could be deconsecrated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconsecration

The bigger questions I'd have, legally, are about the graveyard that appears to adjoin the property. :xf_eek:

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,423 of 9,499
It could be deconsecrated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconsecration

The bigger questions I'd have, legally, are about the graveyard that appears to adjoin the property. :xf_eek:

That's the best part, cemeteries are cool. In the pic, that's definitely Frierson. He's known to be a real character, you can kinda tell that by the portrait.

Indeed, but more than likely it has been deconsecrated, as Obobs suggests. If not, you could have a priest come in and do it (I can too). Looking at my list, I have the ritual on my iPad. :eek:

I believe it's one large room upstairs, and the basement has the kitchen, laundry, etc.. Looks like it would be a real bear to heat and cool, however. I'll bet the acoustics are pretty interesting.

----------------

We're all settled in, here in Auckland. The internet speed here is much more impressive, about 3x faster than home. I don't know if I've ever seen a city that's cleaner, either.

This evening we went to Italia Imports, to "get it over with", and I came away with valuable information (and more...). I found out that classic American muscle cars are big money in NZ, going for 40-80% over US prices. British and German cars are about the same as in the States, with a few exceptions, such as AM, McLaren, and vintage Porsches, which draw a premium. Italians, especially vintage Italians are either high or low, but generally trade at 60-80% of current US prices. Some aren't even on the classic car radar as being highly collectible. Case in point is car #1, a `54 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT.

65k km, restored ~8 years ago, A-2 condition, runs like a sewing machine (look at that fraking engine bay). :eek: This is a coveted 4th series, the first that had available LHD, 2.4L with dual carb setup (120whp), and Pininfarina body. Lancia lost money on every one of these they built, and build quality was far superior to Ferraris of the day (and more uncommon). It's been converted to modern electrics, which is good for reliability but bad for value, and has an updated suspension (same good and bad). It would go for ~$130k in the US, here it's priced at 2/3 that. Stunning little car. Sorry Kiwis, I'm taking this one home with me.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,424 of 9,499

I find the people like the ones who post these videoes annoying. I mean whats wrong with driving slowly with a supercar? Its people like these with the S2000 that make JDM look bad. Someone needs to school him with a school run 3 series, C class or a A4 (tuned of course 
wink.gif
) but that should lower his ego 
biggrin.gif
 better yet, a Volvo http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/volvo-s60-xc60-v60-r-design-new-york-2013/

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #2,425 of 9,499
Quote:

I find the people like the ones who post these videoes annoying. I mean whats wrong with driving slowly with a supercar? Its people like these with the S2000 that make JDM look bad. Someone needs to school him with a school run 3 series, C class or a A4 (tuned of course 
wink.gif
) but that should lower his ego 
biggrin.gif
 better yet, a Volvo http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/volvo-s60-xc60-v60-r-design-new-york-2013/

Better yet, use a transit van with an Xj220 engine.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,426 of 9,499
That's the best part, cemeteries are cool. In the pic, that's definitely Frierson. He's known to be a real character, you can kinda tell that by the portrait.
Indeed, but more than likely it has been deconsecrated, as Obobs suggests. If not, you could have a priest come in and do it (I can too). Looking at my list, I have the ritual on my iPad. :eek:

I believe it's one large room upstairs, and the basement has the kitchen, laundry, etc.. Looks like it would be a real bear to heat and cool, however. I'll bet the acoustics are pretty interesting.

----------------

We're all settled in, here in Auckland. The internet speed here is much more impressive, about 3x faster than home. I don't know if I've ever seen a city that's cleaner, either.

This evening we went to Italia Imports, to "get it over with", and I came away with valuable information (and more...). I found out that classic American muscle cars are big money in NZ, going for 40-80% over US prices. British and German cars are about the same as in the States, with a few exceptions, such as AM, McLaren, and vintage Porsches, which draw a premium. Italians, especially vintage Italians are either high or low, but generally trade at 60-80% of current US prices. Some aren't even on the classic car radar as being highly collectible. Case in point is car #1, a `54 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT.

65k km, restored ~8 years ago, A-2 condition, runs like a sewing machine (look at that fraking engine bay). :eek: This is a coveted 4th series, the first that had available LHD, 2.4L with dual carb setup (120whp), and Pininfarina body. Lancia lost money on every one of these they built, and build quality was far superior to Ferraris of the day (and more uncommon). It's been converted to modern electrics, which is good for reliability but bad for value, and has an updated suspension (same good and bad). It would go for ~$130k in the US, here it's priced at 2/3 that. Stunning little car. Sorry Kiwis, I'm taking this one home with me.

Wow. I have to be honest, I wasn't familiar with this car at all - Lancia is one of those brands that falls outside my radar. That car looks amazing! I love the interior - the combination of stark minimalism with luxurious leather. I would love to have that car as a daily driver - the smooth & elegant lines of the Pininfarina design with the nasty growl of the V6. I would feel just like Dino De Laurentiis or Federico Fellini driving to meet with Sophia Loren & Gina Lollobrigida. :D

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,427 of 9,499
Quote:
 Case in point is car #1, a `54 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT.

65k km, restored ~8 years ago, A-2 condition, runs like a sewing machine (look at that fraking engine bay).
eek.gif
This is a coveted 4th series, the first that had available LHD, 2.4L with dual carb setup (120whp), and Pininfarina body. Lancia lost money on every one of these they built, and build quality was far superior to Ferraris of the day (and more uncommon). It's been converted to modern electrics, which is good for reliability but bad for value, and has an updated suspension (same good and bad). It would go for ~$130k in the US, here it's priced at 2/3 that. Stunning little car. Sorry Kiwis, I'm taking this one home with me.

That's a cool looking car that I'd never heard of. I really like that color too.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,428 of 9,499
That video made no sense - all I saw was yet another Honda driver being obnoxious on a two-lane road...business as usual. :rolleyes: There's numerous vehicles that, for one reason or another, will outperform that car; but generally when faced with such an obnoxious driver, letting them pass and feel they've "won" is the best case scenario. :xf_eek: I'd rather they wrap their little car around a tree all by themselves, than involve my car in such an event. :popcorn:

I like the color on that Lancia - question though: what's the little silver "dot" under the door? Is that a mount for a curb whisker? :blink:

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2,429 of 9,499
That video made no sense - all I saw was yet another Honda driver being obnoxious on a two-lane road...business as usual. :rolleyes: There's numerous vehicles that, for one reason or another, will outperform that car; but generally when faced with such an obnoxious driver, letting them pass and feel they've "won" is the best case scenario. :xf_eek: I'd rather they wrap their little car around a tree all by themselves, than involve my car in such an event. :popcorn:

I like the color on that Lancia - question though: what's the little silver "dot" under the door? Is that a mount for a curb whisker? :blink:

That's where you put the key to wind it up... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back