An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 27, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #2,402 of 9,499
Quote:
A *real* redneck vehicle would be parked sideways on the grass, not in the driveway...
tongue.gif

Well then it'd be a redneck guest bedroom wouldn't it? 
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,403 of 9,499
A *real* redneck vehicle would be parked sideways on the grass, not in the driveway... :p

I have to agree, the parking job is too accurate, and it isn't on blocks.

-------------------

Talk about awkward situations. Tonight we went to dinner with some folks we met here, fellow tourists from Holland whom we met on the island tour. They seemed like cool people, and in fact, they turned out to be too "cool". Tonight the fella kept coming on to my wife and his wife did the same to me. It turns out, they're swingers. :xf_eek: It reached a point, after they'd had some drinks, where we had to explain to them in no uncertain terms that we don't do that sort of thing. It definitely cast a pall over the evening. I thought it was kind of funny, my wife most certainly did not.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #2,405 of 9,499
Will you be coming to Australia Magick?

Unfortunately not, Auckland is as far west as we're going on this trip, we have to be back by Sunday.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2,407 of 9,499
I want this car.....although I can see it wouldn't be the best highway cruiser, at least without facial protection.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,408 of 9,499
On this trip I brought the Westone 4Rs, Fostex TH600s, and the Yamaha YH-100s, and I have to say I'm really liking the TH600s as travel headphones. For an amp I brought the Fostex HP-P1 and my CMOY, paired with my iPhone.

The Westones... I'm okay with hybrid tips, they don't bother my ears as much as the rubber ones, but my canals still get sore after prolonged use. Here's the thing, though, there seems to be a hump of ~2-3dB in the upper mids that I don't really care for. It adds a little coloration that doesn't suit some of the music I've tried (folk, bluegrass, and classical), specifically it makes violins sound too forward, drowning out other instruments. Also I'm not too keen on their soundstaging. It isn't very deep or wide, and that's okay because they're IEMs, but my issue is the way components seem jumbled and out of focus, if you will. While I'm not disappointed, I can't say that I'm too impressed, overall. I'll likely be sending these back to Amazon when we get home. I'll try some other IEMs in the future, but these just aren't for me. Maybe I'll just break down and get fitted for some customs, I dunno.

Also, there's a channel here that seems to show nothing but Dr. Who, 24/7. We're really liking that, but not so much the supposed "Hi-Fi" system that's in the house. Someone needs to let them know that tiny B&O satellites aren't "premium audio", the bass unit in the package is a tragedy. :rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2,409 of 9,499
On this trip I brought the Westone 4Rs, Fostex TH600s, and the Yamaha YH-100s, and I have to say I'm really liking the TH600s as travel headphones. For an amp I brought the Fostex HP-P1 and my CMOY, paired with my iPhone.

The Westones... I'm okay with hybrid tips, they don't bother my ears as much as the rubber ones, but my canals still get sore after prolonged use. Here's the thing, though, there seems to be a hump of ~2-3dB in the upper mids that I don't really care for. It adds a little coloration that doesn't suit some of the music I've tried (folk, bluegrass, and classical), specifically it makes violins sound too forward, drowning out other instruments. Also I'm not too keen on their soundstaging. It isn't very deep or wide, and that's okay because they're IEMs, but my issue is the way components seem jumbled and out of focus, if you will. While I'm not disappointed, I can't say that I'm too impressed, overall. I'll likely be sending these back to Amazon when we get home. I'll try some other IEMs in the future, but these just aren't for me. Maybe I'll just break down and get fitted for some customs, I dunno.

Also, there's a channel here that seems to show nothing but Dr. Who, 24/7. We're really liking that, but not so much the supposed "Hi-Fi" system that's in the house. Someone needs to let them know that tiny B&O satellites aren't "premium audio", the bass unit in the package is a tragedy. :rolleyes:

I can definitely see how a hump in the upper mids could bug you. It probably wouldn't bother me as much - I kind of like an upper mid-forward sound for rock guitar riffs, and especially for speech on audio books.

On the "premium sound", you have to remember that compared to the clock radio at the Marriott, that is most definitely premium! :p

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,410 of 9,499
Quote:
Talk about awkward situations. Tonight we went to dinner with some folks we met here, fellow tourists from Holland whom we met on the island tour. They seemed like cool people, and in fact, they turned out to be too "cool". Tonight the fella kept coming on to my wife and his wife did the same to me. It turns out, they're swingers.
redface.gif
It reached a point, after they'd had some drinks, where we had to explain to them in no uncertain terms that we don't do that sort of thing. It definitely cast a pall over the evening. I thought it was kind of funny, my wife most certainly did not.

Hey, don't take this in a bad way at all, but I'm honestly surprised that this hasn't happened to you yet.  I mean, you've had some colorful stories so I figured this would be old hat and all.

Quote:
I want this car.....although I can see it wouldn't be the best highway cruiser, at least without facial protection.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it'll kill you.

Quote:

Hmm, it's probably great for audiobooks and speech though.  In fact, I'll bet billybob might like it.

BTW, thought you might want to know.  I've been doing a little comparing... and the closest thing I have to the Magickal T50RP just happens to be a set of IEMs - the UE700.  I never would have thought that.

Quote:
I can definitely see how a hump in the upper mids could bug you. It probably wouldn't bother me as much - I kind of like an upper mid-forward sound especially for speech on audio books.

Yup. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,411 of 9,499
I just want the best road course in the world. The rest of that... no, thanks. :blink:

Yeah...I mean, I'm known for going pretty far, but that was kind of out of this world even by my standards...:ph34r:

Does this vehicle scream "redneck" to anyone else? lol.

No. As has been said:

- Parking is too correct
- Lawn is maintained
- House has a sidewalk
- House is a house
- All of the panels match in color and style, and it has no broken glass
- No gunrack
- etc

Talk about awkward situations. Tonight we went to dinner with some folks we met here, fellow tourists from Holland whom we met on the island tour. They seemed like cool people, and in fact, they turned out to be too "cool". Tonight the fella kept coming on to my wife and his wife did the same to me. It turns out, they're swingers. :xf_eek: It reached a point, after they'd had some drinks, where we had to explain to them in no uncertain terms that we don't do that sort of thing. It definitely cast a pall over the evening. I thought it was kind of funny, my wife most certainly did not.

lol.

I can't help but think about the part in Bruno where he goes to the swingers party...:rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2,412 of 9,499
Quote:
Quote:
Does this vehicle scream "redneck" to anyone else? lol.

No. As has been said:

- Parking is too correct
- Lawn is maintained
- House has a sidewalk
- House is a house
- All of the panels match in color and style, and it has no broken glass
- No gunrack
- etc

Would it change your mind at all if you knew that the car won't start... and that it hasn't started for nearly 15 years?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,413 of 9,499
Would it change your mind at all if you knew that the car won't start... and that it hasn't started for nearly 15 years?

No. Partly because if it hadn't started for 15 years, it would mean it was more or less DOA from Chrysler (then again...:rolleyes:).

Better example of a redneck vehicle:

Notice:

- Lack of pavement
- Lack of tires
- Addition of body damage

Or, for the redneck who wants to do it all:

Now you can plow your driveway, go rock crawling, and drag race your friends - all at the same time, in the same vehicle! And this can be yours for only $2500!

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,414 of 9,499
Quote:

Notice:

- Lack of pavement
- Lack of tires

Okay, call me captain obvious... but I think the presence of ACTUAL rednecks is probably the biggest clue there.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,415 of 9,499
Quote:
No. Partly because if it hadn't started for 15 years, it would mean it was more or less DOA from Chrysler (then again...
rolleyes.gif
).

Notice:

- Lack of pavement
- Lack of tires

The Neons were notoriously crappy, IIRC.

And which body is most damaged in that shot, one of the men or the car? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back