An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,236 of 9,499
I like the black.  I like the matte gunmetal.  I even like the tricolore.  But if we're talking Lambos, the LP550's stripe takes the cake.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,237 of 9,499
If you had to send that Aventador to one of the well known shops, you would probably be waiting 60 days for the *estimate*, let alone an actual start date for the work!

And if I sent it to someone like Hennessey, it's possible I'd never get it back at all. Hah. Foot-dragging is one of those things that drives me nuts, so I stay on top of the guys a bit. My business partner isn't a problem, he's a self-confirmed workaholic, but sometimes the others need a gentle kick in the pants from time to time.

-----------------------

Was going to talk about the new track. It's a private club; you apply, giving them information about you and your cars (including some financial info), and then members of their board interview you. If you're invited, which is a pretty big if, you go and have a sort of "trial day", where they gauge your personality and interest level, I suppose to see if you're a good match. You pay $1000 for that honor. Then you become a probationary member for 6 months, where you can be kicked out at any time, but after that you're instated as a full member with all the club rights and privileges, which are extensive. It isn't cheap, but you get full use of their tracks and facilities (they have fuel available, you pay for it at the end of your day), and it's a lot like a self-serve country club. They also have "club cars" that you can use, you just need to schedule a time to have access to them. Not anything too crazy; Gallardo coupe, GT-R, Z06, 997 Carrera S, and a Cayman S. Track time is often scheduled, though you can drop by and drive as well, so long as it isn't too crowded.

It's a very, very nice setup and most of the other members I've met are quite gracious and friendly, though there are a few exceptions. The facilities themselves, meaning the tracks, are excellent. There's a 1.25mi oval and road course that they can change at will (includes a section for timing 1/4 and 1/2 mile times). Memberships also cover your spouse, though not your kids, however you can bring up to 4 guests, if they want to hang out and spectate (only members can drive on the premises). Another cool thing is they'll help you get your SCAA license and they have special days, like "all 50s and 60s classics" or "muscle car weekends". There aren't any official races held there, you can race other members (that happens a lot), and legal tender has been known to change hands... though not cars, that's one of the rules. Rules, there are lots of rules, and it's a lot like Fight Club, where people aren't supposed to give out a lot of specific information about the place or the members, but I'm used to that, having been in more than my fair share of fraternal organizations. Overall, I'm seriously impressed.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2,238 of 9,499
Wow - that's very cool. The club owns the track? I always assumed clubs like that were renting time from an established race track or a track used for testing by automotive industry companies.

You could only do this in a place with lots of open land!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,239 of 9,499
Wow - that's very cool. The club owns the track? I always assumed clubs like that were renting time from an established race track or a track used for testing by automotive industry companies.

You could only do this in a place with lots of open land!

Yep, the founder is well-heeled, and a huge car nut, so he took some land he inherited and built his own track(s), I'd say he has several million $$ invested in tarmac alone. Then he started a club to pay for maintenance and make some money off of it. As I said, it's expensive but entirely worth it. I'd never even heard of it before, and it's only a half hour from my home. The best part is, my wife can drive there too, when she's ready (she hasn't worked up the nerve, yet). They don't require a roll cage or bars, unless the car is open-top, but full-face helmets and proper footwear are a must (flame retardant coveralls are preferred).

One little "trick" they pulled. They left a $100 bill on the floor in the lounge, with no one else around, to see what we'd do (I assume there's a camera there). I didn't see the bill but the Mrs did, and she picked it up and stuck it in the barkeeper/steward's tip jar. LOL! The guys thought it was hilarious, no one had ever done that before (though many had picked it up and kept it, and their applications were then summarily declined). She's something else.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #2,240 of 9,499
I like the black.  I like the matte gunmetal.  I even like the tricolore.  But if we're talking Lambos, the LP550's stripe takes the cake.

My own quick tricolore variation in PS:

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,241 of 9,499
No, no, no. If you were going to do that, it would have to be much, much more subtle. It would just be a hint of the tricolor down below the darker top coats, like stealth flames on a custom bike.

Subtle is cool - the car itself draws your eye, it doesn't need anything else to make you look. The subtle details are what you notice AFTER you are already staring at it with your jaw dropped and your tongue hanging out.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,242 of 9,499
And if I sent it to someone like Hennessey, it's possible I'd never get it back at all.

And that'd probably be best-case; worst case you'd probably get a carton of parts that once went into a Lamborghini and a huge bill...:ph34r:

Was going to talk about the new track. It's a private club; you apply, giving them information about you and your cars (including some financial info), and then members of their board interview you. If you're invited, which is a pretty big if, you go and have a sort of "trial day", where they gauge your personality and interest level, I suppose to see if you're a good match. You pay $1000 for that honor.

Stopped reading here and dismissed it as snob appeal for a bunch of rich duckies who can't find anything better to do but feel self-important because they can kick people out of their little sandbox. :ph34r:

One little "trick" they pulled. They left a $100 bill on the floor in the lounge, with no one else around, to see what we'd do

Yeah, I can't even put into words my issues with those kinds of people. It's an oval track. Good grief. :rolleyes:

My own quick tricolore variation in PS:

What about green, like a Miura? :p

Also +1 on billy's suggestion - it has to be blend, not smack you in the face. Like work it into the clear, or do otherwise "stealth" effects; not a big giant disco-ball that says "HEY, LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! REMEMBER ME!!!"

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2,243 of 9,499
Quote:
Stopped reading here and dismissed it as snob appeal for a bunch of rich duckies who can't find anything better to do but feel self-important because they can kick people out of their little sandbox.
ph34r.gif

I agree. What I didn't understand though, is that you have to pay them to evaluate you? Just like in private high-schools?

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,244 of 9,499
It's called supply & demand. We've already established you want what I have, now the only question is how bad you want it. Many places charge you to apply - ever taken out a home loan?

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,245 of 9,499
Out of context, their methods do seem draconian, however the amount of freedoms you're given with the facilities is unmatched with any other location I've seen (try going to VIR and just asking them if you can rent their track for a day). :wink: You'd really have to meet them. I encounter a lot of d-bags at different "events" in the city (college boosters are some of the worst) and these guys just want to make sure you're going to be responsible and take a respectful attitude towards property ownership. While part of that is taken care of with the background and credit checks, and whatever else they looked up, getting to know me takes time (I still don't fully know my own business partner, or wife, for that matter), hence the 6 month probationary period. From what I've seen, these individuals are quite trusting, comparatively, swapping cars for the weekend, or just outright letting another member borrow a car for a while. It's not just the very wealthy who join, either, some are business professionals who make real financial sacrifices to be there because they have a deep passion for motorsport.

Sure, there's some GOB action going on, I won't deny that, however the benefits, and opportunity to get acquainted with other petrolheads, outweigh those, IMO. One reason I sort of give the board members the benefit of some doubt is because they're fellow Masons, and craft brothers do a good job of looking out for each other, as a rule.

Also, as I said, it's not just an oval, there's a really nice tarmac road course too, as well as the car events and the club lounge (also includes tennis courts and a complimentary membership to their local golf course).

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #2,246 of 9,499
No, no, no. If you were going to do that, it would have to be much, much more subtle. It would just be a hint of the tricolor down below the darker top coats, like stealth flames on a custom bike.

Subtle is cool - the car itself draws your eye, it doesn't need anything else to make you look. The subtle details are what you notice AFTER you are already staring at it with your jaw dropped and your tongue hanging out.

Yeah, I suppose so, I'll work on another mock-up and put it up later. The one above is conservative compared to some of the Mansory and other customs I've seen, Middle Eastern owners are generally over the top with the way they have their cars painted. :rolleyes:

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,247 of 9,499
It's called supply & demand. We've already established you want what I have, now the only question is how bad you want it. Many places charge you to apply - ever taken out a home loan?

That's essentially it. Time is money and I don't fault them for requiring the fee. Besides, it does get taken off the first dues payment.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,248 of 9,499
I am traveling and my rental car this time is a Chevy Impala. First the good: the engine makes a very satisfying growl. Now the bad: I *hate* the interior. I have never had so much trouble finding a comfortable driving position. The seat is horrible. No support, too soft and it has both manual and electric controls. Recline is manual, front to back is electric - and the rest are a confusing mixture. The steering wheel is too high on the lowest setting. The a/c is either too cold or anemic and if I set it to blow at the windshield, it disable the a/c. I hate it!

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,249 of 9,499
A hex is at work...

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #2,250 of 9,499
Lol - maybe - but I did it to myself. I have a choice of any car in the green aisle (National) and I just got in the car that looked the newest. I did not know it was a Chevy until I got in it! As I was driving out, I saw a sonata that I could have taken. Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back