An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,996 of 9,499
Okay.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,997 of 9,499
Classic cars age better than classic TV series - well, at least those from the 70's.

Regarding the fuse tweak [from another thread guys], yes, I replaced the 13A fuse in my UK mains plugs with a bit of silver wire soldered on, comparing that to a HIFI Tuning Gold fuse. And thus confirming that the best fuse is no fuse at all. So if you have the right sized bit of copper then yes that is a free way of finding out if the fuse tweaks are likely to work for you.

However, I should repeat my usual warning at times like this: "Death can be fatal".
The fuse in a UK mains plug is arguably redundant, so safe to bypass it as long as you have all the correct protection at start and end of the chain.
But I would never try to do that to an internal fuse inside an amp. That must have the correct rated fuse.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,998 of 9,499
Feb 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,999 of 9,499

Umm, right. :wink:

--------------------

Anywho, something of note, I got my Intel NUCs in, I ordered a few for various things; new multimedia server, HTPC, and primary server at work. In a few words, these kick amazing amounts of a**. Relatively cheap, hassle-free (if you have a basic understanding of PC innards), and very quick. Essentially, what you have is a notebook PC, sans LCD. MY primary reason for buying them is they make a perfect little hackintosh, and I can confirm that. For the HTPC, which will be what many of you are interested in, I installed 8GB of G.Skill SODIMM memory, a 64GB Crucial mSATA SSD, and away we go. All told, a little less than $400, which is great for such a small (4.5"x4.5"x2"), capable PC. For extra storage, I have the server farm with 30TB on tap, but any NAS or USB3 drive will do just fine, just add more drives as needed (2TB USB3 drives are $100 now, so that's an attractive option). It connects to a display via HDMI (2x HDMI with dual display support), has a gigabit ethernet port, and there are wireless options, either via internal slot (recommended) or USB dongle. You'll need to install the OS via network connection, flash drive, or with a USB DVD drive, but those are widely available. It's very attractive too, in a minimalist way.

Helpful links:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/next-unit-computing-introduction.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148611
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200113
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-External-Optical-Netbook-Notebook/dp/B005Q6HDTO
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-6235AN-HMWWB-Centrino-Advanced-N-Bluetooth/dp/B007QXLIWI
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B002QEBMCI

So if you want a Mac mini, but don't want to pay that much, or want something different, this is it. Much recommended, 4.5 stars.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,000 of 9,499
Quote:
Quote:

Umm, right.
wink.gif

Anywho, something of note, I got my Intel NUCs in

So if you want a Mac mini, but don't want to pay that much, or want something different, this is it. Much recommended, 4.5 stars.

Ooh, those are special stars! 
wink.gif

I've actually been thinking about doing this for a little while, as I have no appreciable home rig to speak of.  Just a Windows laptop piped into an HRT HeadStreamer at the moment.  My only hesitation at this point is the associated costs of moving into an Apple ecosystem.

BTW, what's a NUC?

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,001 of 9,499
You don't have to go Mac, you can install Windows 7. My HTPC has MacOS, Win7, and Xubuntu Linux in a multi-boot config.

NUC.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,002 of 9,499
Quote:
You don't have to go Mac, you can install Windows 7. My HTPC has MacOS, Win7, and Xubuntu Linux in a multi-boot config.

Wait, just realized that I don't even have a receiver (or home rig).  I should also think about getting a TV at some point.

Quote:

Well that's an acronym I would never have guessed.  I was thinking Network Utility Console or something like that.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,004 of 9,499
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,005 of 9,499
It's a good PC, though. If you want something cheap, innocuous, and hassle-free, that's a great option.

---------------------

Slackers. We're caught up at work with most big projects, they're milling around, "uh, what are we going to do now, uh?" I look at them, "see that big black car, the one that's smashed up and needs some help?" I point at the angry, black beast. "Now's a good time to get back on it." They hem and haw, my business partner then finds an excuse to go run errands... for the next 2 hours. :rolleyes: It scares them! I know, that's shocking. Grown men, certified mechanics, frightened of a car. My wife has dubbed it "Mr Evil", it seems to be a proper name, that.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,006 of 9,499
The video of the 458 is very cool. There needs to be more videos like that to show the driving technique of blending steering with power. Call it "Driving with your right foot"...

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,007 of 9,499
I've already replaced the tires on it once, and it's an expensive "technique", though the Goodyear Pilot SS meats I have on there now seem to be more durable than the original Pirellis (better grip and cheaper too). The most important thing I learned was how to effectively brake with my left foot, makes it a lot easier to induce oversteer, which is what you want for good power slides. The power slide masters are the `cuda and Cobra, they don't even need effort. Just go into a hard turn, feather the throttle, and "weeee", there goes the back end. Aftermarket TC has helped them tremendously.

---------------------

Toro Bello

There's a notion out there that the Countach is a crappy car to drive, and a person "should never meet their heroes". I'd never driven a Countach before, sat in a couple, but never actually taken one out myself. From the accounts of journalists and modern pundits, you'd believe that they're Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad cars (I use that reference because I'm reading the Abner books to my daughter). That you'll be blind and shaken to death, in a stylish, Italian-made iron maiden, suffocating on fumes and stale air, while listening to the interior panels ominously rattle and creak.

Horse excrement. Yes, visibility out the back is garbage, but there's a wide-angle rear view camera in this one, replacing the useless mirror. It's aftermarket, true, but not a large investment. The heater and AC actually work, no they aren't up to modern skin-liquefying/bone-chilling standards, largely because there aren't many vents, but they do the job. No awful fumes either, to quietly poison you while driving along. The interior panels do rattle just a little at times, but it's an antique car, strictly speaking, and it isn't so bad as to be annoying. So, how does it drive? Well, it isn't a Camry, or even a Ferrari 328, the clutch is heavy, the steering is heavy, it burbles and lurches, and the brakes aren't particularly very good until you stand on them. However, there's magic there, it's an event. Sure, it's not a light car, weighing in at 3300lbs, nor is it particularly powerful by today's standards, with 480bhp after a fresh rebuild, but it's still quick, still responsive, and even after all these years, very Italian.

It's fun. Remember that word? Fun? With new supercars gliding with the tranquility of a Rolls (the MP4), and a fit and finish to match (the 458), new enthusiasts will likely never know what it is to climb into a Mad Bull, feeling that there's a real possibility that the thing has a mind of its own and is trying to hurt them. More's the pity on that, because it's part of understanding where the cultural phenomenon came from. To quote B.B. King, "the thrill is gone", or at least it's hard to reach, with all the gadgets and electronic nannies, and the car hobby in many ways is poorer for them. Also, there's flare and swagger, an identity and look that causes the public to stop everything they're doing to have a gander. I filled up at the local station and everyone cleared out of the place, even the cashier, just to walk around it and take in the iconic shape. Shamefully, I have to admit that I may have caused a small fender-bender, when a driver was too busy watching Toro Bello go roaring by, and he bumped the car in front of him. It made me feel bad. Well, just a little. :wink:

Mood music:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueto_FU9fyE[/VIDEO]

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2,009 of 9,499
What cracks me up about that Countach is that it is not just white - it is WHITE! That interior looks like it was used as the stage set for the TV show Space: 1999.

Groovy Baby!

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #2,010 of 9,499
Yes, you push in on the turn signal stalk for the horn.

It's a hoot to drive, I'm not kidding. Not something to do every day, but a great special occasion ride. Worth every nickel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back