An alternative to the M50 if one has a somewhat higher budget?
Aug 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

csnut18

New Head-Fier
I am willing to spend more that what the M50 would cost me. I probably would go up to $200. What should I be looking at if I want to have all the positives of the M50 like good bass and overall sound, plus all the additional benefits the more expensive set would offer me? Thanks so much in advance for the recommendations.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 35
Honestly, I haven't heard headphones better than the M50 for under $200.

More importantly, what is your source and how are you planning on driving them? 

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 35
A Macbook laptop is the source for the most part. I probably would be more inclined to get the DT770 in a 32 ohm version. The reason being is that the open 990's would probably leak alot more sound. Am I correct?

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 35
Are you really going to be able to tell the difference between the M50s and a higher priced model with your source being a MacBook alone?  Serious question...I never thought the built in sound sources in laptops were worth a damn.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 35
To be honest, I'd think about splitting up your ~$200 price point and getting a pair of headphones and a little amp. If you get the M50s from amazon for around $100 and maybe pick up a used Headroom Total BitHead? I think cleaning up your source with the built-in DAC and getting more and cleaner power (than your MB) would make a much more drastic difference than buying more expensive headphones. 

A bad source will detract from any 'good' pair of headphones.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 35
Well, I might get an amp in the future, but I certainly want them to sound great with an unamped source as well. Do you think getting either a DT770 32ohm or an Ultrasone 580 is a worthwhile improvement over a M50?

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 35
Without an amp and source being onboard audio, I don't think so. I agree with the other members, split up your cash into amp and headphones. The M50s are great for the price. sp70.

Quote:
Well, I might get an amp in the future, but I certainly want them to sound great with an unamped source as well. Do you think getting either a DT770 32ohm or an Ultrasone 580 is a worthwhile improvement over a M50?

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 35
The M50s sound really good without a dedicated amp. They sound great with one.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 35
Chances are that I will purchase an M50. The reason I am debating it is that I read somewhere on this site(someone posted a link a headphone shootout) that the M50 is not good for electronica. I listed to lots of dance music and electronica so I was debating if either a 580 or DT770 may be better for me.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 35
Really? I listen to electronica and dance a lot during work and love them. The bass is tight and plentiful with nice, detailed highs. Nothing to complain about at all.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Well, I might get an amp in the future, but I certainly want them to sound great with an unamped source as well.

You need a DAC and amp. Trust me I have recently got a PA2V2 (great $60 portable amp) and it works wonders with my iPod and 192 kbps AAC's through good IEM or Koss Porta-Pro's. Today I got AKG 601's and they are basically unlistenable through iPod amped or PowerBook. They are 120 Ohm and I think the M50's are 38 which would be even harder to drive. Lastly the better the phones the more they call attention to poor source or material. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I might get an amp in the future, but I certainly want them to sound great with an unamped source as well.

You need a DAC and amp. Trust me I have recently got a PA2V2 (great $60 portable amp) and it works wonders with my iPod and 192 kbps AAC's through good IEM or Koss Porta-Pro's. Today I got AKG 601's and they are basically unlistenable through iPod amped or PowerBook. They are 120 Ohm and I think the M50's are 38 which would be even harder to drive. Lastly the better the phones the more they call attention to poor source or material. 

When it comes to headphones, isn't a lower impedance easier for a source to drive?

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
When it comes to headphones, isn't a lower impedance easier for a source to drive?

It's wayyy more complicated than that. Lower impedance means it's easier for them to get loud, but it also means it needs more current, technically. 

For top quality, get a decent amp and DAC. Improve from the source to the headphones, not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back