ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #226 of 1,259
You could be right, just have to buy the tubes and convertors and try for yourself. You might find the 12B4A/5755 work well with your Abyss. Does take a couple of weeks to get the convertors from Hong Kong. The three tube convertors you can get off eBay; add in tubes total cost about $100.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #227 of 1,259
You could be right, just have to buy the tubes and convertors and try for yourself. You might find the 12B4A/5755 work well with your Abyss. Does take a couple of weeks to get the convertors from Hong Kong. The three tube convertors you can get off eBay; add in tubes total cost about $100.
I really appreciate your intup on this. I love negative comments on things if they put it in context. Yours wasn’t totally negative but you said what you didn’t like and I very much appreciate that. Different headphones can make all the difference. Most of mine are planars so could be the difference.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #228 of 1,259
I really appreciate your intup on this. I love negative comments on things if they put it in context. Yours wasn’t totally negative but you said what you didn’t like and I very much appreciate that. Different headphones can make all the difference. Most of mine are planars so could be the difference.

Thanks! I just try to report what I am hearing and we need more Kenzie/Encore owners trying the 12B4A/5755 and posting their experience. Justin builds great tube amps at very competitive prices and ships fast. My Kenzie build only took a month and Justin is a pleasure to work with. My rig is sounding so good now that I pretty much consider it end game. I have zero desire to upgrade anything which is pretty rare for an audiophile:)

I read such good posts (many on another forum I can't link to from here: the moderators don't approve and will delete) about the fully optioned Mogwai SE I would love the chance to compare it to my Kenzie. Could be dangerous though as my audiophile nervosa now in remission might relapse.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #229 of 1,259
Thanks! I just try to report what I am hearing and we need more Kenzie/Encore owners trying the 12B4A/5755 and posting their experience. Justin builds great tube amps at very competitive prices and ships fast. My Kenzie build only took a month and Justin is a pleasure to work with. My rig is sounding so good now that I pretty much consider it end game. I have zero desire to upgrade anything which is pretty rare for an audiophile:)
Not saying this thread but too many rave about what they have and never mention the drawbacks as there is always something nothing is perfect. Yes I love the Kenzie also and only have heard a few that I like as well but at a much higher price as you said. Yes Justin is great to work with and is also a really nice guy met him at CanJam SoCal last year. He told me about the 5755 that he had found that works well with the Kenzie and said I should pm him for the adapter and I did looking to find where to buy it but no he sent me a tube and adapter that is loving what you do and wanting to share it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #230 of 1,259
Not saying this thread but too many rave about what they have and never mention the drawbacks as there is always something nothing is perfect. Yes I love the Kenzie also and only have heard a few that I like as well but at a much higher price as you said. Yes Justin is great to work with and is also a really nice guy met him at CanJam SoCal last year. He told me about the 5755 that he had found that works well with the Kenzie and said I should pm him for the adapter and I did looking to find where to buy it but no he sent me a tube and adapter that is loving what you do and wanting to share it.

I really like the Raytheon 5755 in my Leeloo. I think my favorite tube is still the Raytheon windmill getter 5751 though.

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #231 of 1,259
For what its worth, the 12B4A/5755 combo has been compelling for me when wanting a more neutral sound with more power.
It might not be for everyone. Id agree with that for sure. The Kenzie doesn't have the breadth of rolling options, so having any options seems like a win.
On ebay, there are pairs of 12B4A for $18 shipped. The adapters are $25 for a pair shipped. So for $45 or so, you can nearly double the output and open yourself to roiling options.
Ive seen 5-7 different 12B4A which is way cool. The draw of the 5755 is that they are 9pin. Though I truely love the 12SL7... they are more prone to microphonics than other tubes.
5755s are about $10 shipped and the adapter are $15 for shipped... So for $75 you can now experiment with 2 different tube types.

I dig the power, but hate adapters as a general rule... I end up switching back to my RCA 1626s.

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #232 of 1,259
cool, thank you) I see it can drive speakers as well? what kind of speakers would be good?

and what is dimensions and weight of this amp? I am thinking about new tube amp for me, preferable 300b or 2a3, this one definitely in my short list.

15.5" wide by 11,5" deep. ~30lbs.
Speaker recommendations: 96db and up but always matters what size room. We have a Kenzie 2ch amp pushing the snoot out of a KEF LS50 in the office.
That said, Tekton Lore or Mini Lore Monitors, Zu Cube, Zu Dirty weekend. I use a pair of Zu Omen Deffs, The Soul Supreme's are pretty incredible and the Spatials all would pair really well.
The Agartha will run just about any headphone other than IEMs with ease.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #233 of 1,259
Wow, new amp, Agartha 2 looks amazing Justin! Great to get more US-made 300B offerings.

upload_2018-6-9_14-54-2.png

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #234 of 1,259
Hi Guys,
I am hoping some of you might own either the Kenzie Encore or the Mogwai SE and use them with Focal Utopias. Any chance you guys can tell me what you think. I am pretty close to deciding to purchase one and am trying to decide between the two. My goal is to have something powerful enough to drive the Utopias and the Ether Flows, with the utopias being the primary use.

I would be coming from a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with Telefunken NOS tubes. Also hoping not to spend more then $200 total on tubes if tube rolling is suggested.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #236 of 1,259
Hi Guys,
I am hoping some of you might own either the Kenzie Encore or the Mogwai SE and use them with Focal Utopias. Any chance you guys can tell me what you think. I am pretty close to deciding to purchase one and am trying to decide between the two. My goal is to have something powerful enough to drive the Utopias and the Ether Flows, with the utopias being the primary use.

I would be coming from a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with Telefunken NOS tubes. Also hoping not to spend more then $200 total on tubes if tube rolling is suggested.

Some people I have spoken to, who have tried both the amps, were more impressed with the SE than the Encore. Both amps should have more than enough power driving either Utopia or the Ether. SE is more powerful than the Encore, but its noise floor is also slightly higher than the Encore. Encore apparently has a slightly more romantic tone in the mid-range (just slightly). Where as the SE is slightly ahead in the technical aspects.

Their advise was 'if you have the budget, go for the SE'. And Justin recommends 32/300 combo. I remember reading somewhere that the Utopia actually works well on the 300Ohm port.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #237 of 1,259
Some people I have spoken to, who have tried both the amps, were more impressed with the SE than the Encore. Both amps should have more than enough power driving either Utopia or the Ether. SE is more powerful than the Encore, but its noise floor is also slightly higher than the Encore. Encore apparently has a slightly more romantic tone in the mid-range (just slightly). Where as the SE is slightly ahead in the technical aspects.

Their advise was 'if you have the budget, go for the SE'. And Justin recommends 32/300 combo. I remember reading somewhere that the Utopia actually works well on the 300Ohm port.

If you are getting a Mogwai SE:

The Mogwai SE comes with 3 jacks now, and as 8/32/300 standard (8 previously available through taps/banana adapter)
upload_2018-7-17_10-3-40.png

I personally much prefer the 8 ohm jack, and do probably around 75%/25% listening on 8/300 (yes, probably close to 0% on 32). ...and let's just say i was not surprised when the ZMF pendant was announced with default 8/300.
I absolutely think the 8 and the 300 are keepers, and the 8 being an absolute must to be honest.
I'd consider running a slightly higher Z on the middle Z jack (64 over 32) though, but that depends a bit on what kind of impedance headphones one thinks of running and wether or not for mid- or high Z.
FWIW, in hindsight I would probably do 8/64/300 as the Z effect of the 32 is a bit lackluster on a 300 ohm headphone for me.
There is no "right answer" here though.

FR/SPL of 800S on 1ohm-blue (Taurus 2), vs 8/32/300-yellow/red/green (Mogwai SE w input transformer):

upload_2018-7-17_9-45-55.png

Possible 32 ohm usage on the 50ohm rated Focal Clear. The Clear is not really something i'd prefer running on "high" Z at all, though but someone might like it:

upload_2018-7-17_10-13-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_10-0-0.png
    upload_2018-7-17_10-0-0.png
    156 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #239 of 1,259
@55Powers surprised to see a silver top plate on your Mogwai SE is that special order or standard now? The silver does look better than black IMO good choice. I was also under the impression that Justin was not able to take three taps off the output transformers. Seems he has been busy lately:)

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #240 of 1,259
@55Powers surprised to see a silver top plate on your Mogwai SE is that special order or standard now? The silver does look better than black IMO good choice. I was also under the impression that Justin was not able to take three taps off the output transformers. Seems he has been busy lately:)

Thanks, it's according to my flavor. Yeah, the top and base are somewhat custom. Saw the top on an old A&S picture, Justin made it haopen. I didn't know about the 3rd jack when i ordered it either, but turned out Justin had done some sweet design changes all along. Here's a shot with the base.

20180508_153710.jpg

Attachments

• 20180508_153710.jpg
    20180508_153710.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back