1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by luckbad, Mar 21, 2016.
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. exdmd
    Absolutely stunning @55Powers! That is the most gorgeous build I have seen to date from @ampsandsound. That is one heirloom for sure probably your end game amp.

2. Astral Abyss
    What wood type is that? Looks really good with the white top.

3. ampsandsound
    It’s an ebony.
    We have always offered custom veneers when asked. My favorites are rosewood and ebony.
    I got 400bd ft of birtch which will eventually make its way into rotation. Maybe time to buy a saw stop.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  4. 55Powers
    Yeah, big ups on the execution Justin. Will be staying on this amazing piece of audio bliss for a long time. Feels very much like "home" by now, and a nice one at that.

5. llamaluv
    So on the Kenzie alt tube front... What's the reasoning behind pairing 12B4A's with the 5755 tubes in particular -- as opposed to just the regular 12SL7 tube type?

6. ampsandsound
    The 12Sl7 for all their fantastic tone are prone to microphonics... least thats the prevailing wisdom. That said, 9pin tube are generally quieter than their octal counterparts.
    The 5755 is a super inexpensive NOS tube. Most 12SL7s are also very very in expensive... I believe most 5755s are JAN/Mil spec.
    A 5755 is ~ $10 each and he adapter is $15 to the door thus opening an additional option.
    I would suggest getting a 12AX7 to 12SL7 adapter too. Then you could use 5751, 12AT7, 12AX7s.. and tube rolling will truly be wide open.
    The 12B4A doesn't have the same tone as the 1626 but has a lot of punch and increases the power significantly.

Hope this helps

llamaluv and ButtUglyJeff like this.
  7. llamaluv
    Thanks Justin.

Since last night I've actually had two RCA 12B4A's (which I ordered through ampsandsound a couple days ago) and a Raytheon JAN 5755 running on my Kenzie Encore, and am liking it just fine. Sounds nimble and neutral, and my impression is that it does have more grunt. This is with it connected to the Abyss Phi.

I've actually been continually surprised at how much I've enjoyed the Kenzie Encore with hard-to-drive planars (viz., the HEKv2, LCD-4, and now the Phi).

8. vonnie123
    Justin, what is your preferred 12B4A (or 1626) for that matter. Thank you for building such an awesome Kenzie Encore Amp.

9. ampsandsound
    Honestly I don't sweat the power tubes though maybe I should. I have about 200 1626 tubes to pull from.
    I do however pay attention to the input... If you can get the 2C52... its a WONDERFUL choice.
    The Silyvanas are as well.
    I know 12SL7s are a but noisey or microphonic prone but that have the classic sound I love so much.

10. JoeDoe
    3CBDDEAC-1BEB-4D0C-9308-B14F498AB39E.jpeg

Good to be in the club!

llamaluv and Luckbad like this.
  11. buke9
    You will now know why I wouldn’t what to let my Kenzie go.

12. JoeDoe
    Loving this guy with my PS1000s. Best I’ve heard from them and I’ve heard A LOT of amps.

13. buke9
    Justin has a good amp for sure in the Kenzie I Love mine.

JoeDoe likes this.
  14. vonnie123
    You’ll like the Kenzie. I have a Kenzie Encore with the outboard black box input transformers (XLR to RCA). Pick up a Raytheon 2c52 input tube. It’s an easy tube upgrade tweak. If you need more power output the 12B4a output tubes (need adapters) will help....

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  15. JoeDoe
    Justin recommended the 2C52 also - will keep it on my 'to-purchase' list. I've always wondered what it's like to get to the end of the head-fi journey and now I know... :)

vonnie123 likes this.
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20
Next

Last