Amps for Denon d7000
Dec 29, 2010 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

QbertEnhanced

New Head-Fier
Newbie here, heard this is a good place for some info.
I have a Fiio E7 + E9 setup with some HD 650s, these were my first amps after using the 650s unamped for...too long xD
I recently had the chance to try out the Denon d7000 at the local audio shop and really loved how they sounded for the heavy rock and metal that makes up about half of my music.  I've decided on getting a pair of those and was wondering 2 things,
1. Can the E9 sufficiently drive the 7000s?
2. Is it worth keeping the 650s at all? Or should i be looking to sell them.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
Newbie here, heard this is a good place for some info.
I have a Fiio E7 + E9 setup with some HD 650s, these were my first amps after using the 650s unamped for...too long xD
I recently had the chance to try out the Denon d7000 at the local audio shop and really loved how they sounded for the heavy rock and metal that makes up about half of my music.  I've decided on getting a pair of those and was wondering 2 things,
1. Can the E9 sufficiently drive the 7000s?
2. Is it worth keeping the 650s at all? Or should i be looking to sell them.

1. YES. Yes it can. On Low Gain, you won't even pass 10 o clock (E9 maxes out at 5 o clock). There's a ton of unused power there. The D7000 is pretty damn easy to drive to begin with. Amping tightens up spots, but a $600 transparent amp is not going to transform the D7000 compared to what the E9 is doing with it. You're looking at very subtle changes... but hey, go ahead and blow some cash if you think it's worth it. The changes you would experience are with tube amps, in which the D7000 is known not to synergize as well as SS amps.

There's quite a few very happy HD650/E9 owners.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 27
power does not equal volume. the denons are easy to drive in that an ipod will make them sufficiently loud too but i believe they need alot of current to sound good (much like the grados).

and iirc most of the recommended amps for the d7000 are solid state, but where did you see that theyr'e not 'known to synergize well with ss'? 

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 27
I said they are known to not synergize as well AS with SS amps. I didn't say they didn't synergize well WITH SS amps.

And I already know about volume =/= driving force.

However, people LOVE to exaggerate how much power these things need. I do notice a marked improvement going from unamped to E7, and then E7 to E9. The bass becomes tighter, and the mids come out more. However, there's only SO much a  transparent amp will do with the D7000. What else is there to do? Perhaps add more soundstage. I highly doubt the bass is gonna get any damn tighter with 10x more driving power. Everything else just sounds like delusions into thinking an amp will transform an easy to drive headphone into something else.

Sheer hyperbole.

Like I said, people can go ahead and spend x10 more for 5% improvement. IMHO, if I was gonna spend that much of an amp to alter the sound of the D7000 that much, you may as well go with tubes to change the signature, or go with another headphone.

I'm not saying there won't be improvements. I'm saying that I highly doubt the improvements will be anything as grand as the amp elitists want others to believe.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 27
No I haven't. But I have read enough on here to know the sheer exaggerations people post on a daily basis. Whether it is on how they view defects in headphones, amps, cables, etc.

I do see a reason to own a really powerful amp for a hard to drive headphone. However, easy to drive headphones? Consider me a realist.

All I had to do was read the A/B amp comparisons to see just how much people BS on here. It was something I knew from the get go.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 27
Thanks for the help, MLE 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 27
The X-Can v8 is excellent with the D7000s, and I suspect that the various flavours of Millet hybrid (Max, MiniMax, etc) would work very well also, within a reasonable price range, should you wish to venture into tube/tube hybrids.

o

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 27
I like the Audio-GD FUN for the D7000s.  Sounded pretty similar to how they sounded on a Benchmark DAC PRE 1.  Then again I'm not that critical when I listen as others (no offense).  Don't know the pricing of the other stuff you're looking at but I'm going to assume it's more expensive than what I recommended (which is around $400-450 USD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back