Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #151 of 587
The 430HAD is a very good combo amp at used pricing if you find someone looking to sell quickly.

At retail it doesn't compete very well anymore, as it did in 2015.

Internal DAC isn't great beyond convenience.

IMO the best is trying to pick up a used 430HA without the DAC and pair with favourite DAC. Very good in that scenario if you get the right DAC (pro iDSD is a good option.)
Very true.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #152 of 587
The 430HAD is a very good combo amp at used pricing if you find someone looking to sell quickly.

At retail it doesn't compete very well anymore, as it did in 2015.

Internal DAC isn't great beyond convenience.

IMO the best is trying to pick up a used 430HA without the DAC and pair with favourite DAC. Very good in that scenario if you get the right DAC (pro iDSD is a good option.)
I often run my Susvara on a 430HA with a Dangerous Music Convert-2 DAC in front of it and find the results very pleasing. Bought both used in new condition for around 1.5k each.
The Convert-2 has a lot of detail, dynamics and punch and the 430HA enough power and that little bit of laid back sound signature to make this combo a great match with the Susvara imo.
It's not easy to find a setup that has great detail, airiness and speed but is also smooth, euphonic as well as engaging and punchy when it needs to be. Another thing I really like about the 430HA is that it's absolutely dead silent when there is no sound and the volume knob implementation is the best I've seen yet.

I would be really courious to test and compare this setup with other/more expensive ones to see how much room there is to improve :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #153 of 587
I often run my Susvara on a 430HA with a Dangerous Music Convert-2 DAC in front of it and find the results very pleasing. Bought both used in new condition for around 1.5k each.
The Convert-2 has a lot of detail, dynamics and punch and the 430HA enough power and that little bit of laid back sound signature to make this combo a great match with the Susvara imo.
It's not easy to find a setup that has great detail, airiness and speed but is also smooth, euphonic as well as engaging and punchy when it needs to be. Another thing I really like about the 430HA is that it's absolutely dead silent when there is no sound and the volume knob implementation is the best I've seen yet.

I would be really courious to test and compare this setup with other/more expensive ones to see how much room there is to improve :wink:
That sounds like it would be a great combo, great price performance at 1.5k each too!

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #154 of 587

It does sound like a good combo

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #159 of 587
Thanks for your quick reply. I am still hesitating between Susvara and LCD5, my slim wallet won't allow me have both:slight_frown:
Both excellent options.

I don’t think the LCD5 makes the Susvara redundant but the LCD5 is even better tuned!

A picture for your viewing pleasure lol

D88DF360-0261-4578-A5E0-4533A7A20DEB.jpeg

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #160 of 587
Thanks for your quick reply. I am still hesitating between Susvara and LCD5, my slim wallet won't allow me have both:slight_frown:
I have both...IMHO they are both outstanding...if you have the proper amp for the susvara I think it is better on the other hand if you want to get by without a big effort involving amps then the LCD-5 is the better choice because for example it is terrific straight out of the dave

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #161 of 587
I have been considering getting into IEMs more as normal work from office resumes all around me.

I currently own the Kann Alpha and have been considering upgrading, mostly due to the Alpha's rather smallish screen.

I am not one to be overly possessed by pride of ownership. If someone shows me a better product than what I own, I will usually try to sell mine and get the better one (within reason, of course).

I wanted to like the Shanling M8 over the Kann Alpha because the latter’s screen is small and O/S is mediocre at best. I had the opportunity of trying the M8 recently at a meet-up with a fellow HeadFi-er and friend.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have to report that M8 sound signature was in no way more preferable to me, than the Kann Alpha’s. In fact, I might far prefer the Alpha’s sound to that of the M8, iBasso DX300, and other comparables.

Brief impressions: Kann Alpha VS Shanling M8

IMG-0398.jpg

Build:
About equal. Both are well-built DAPs.
Aesthetics: The M8 is much prettier. The larger screen is nice to look at as is the nice shape to the device.
OS: The M8 O/S is as bad as the Alpha’s if not worse. God, its slow. Very slow.
Sound Quality:
  • They are both “colored” (in fact, I don’t know what isn’t. We should stop using this word as audio reviewers, as it confuses more than it clarifies).
    🙂
  • I noticed a roll-off at both ends of the FR with the M8, particularly with the Thieaudio Monarch OG. The subbass roll off was more noticeable with an IEM that has insane amounts of subbass. Note that the roll-off was only noticeable in A/B-ing. It’s not noticeable if you are only running the M8.
  • The Alpha has a tighter bass, noticeably more defined, and a crisper treble, while maintaining a natural, pleasant midrange.
  • The M8 sounds relatively more midrange forward and “relaxing” but in a way that made metal and rock music sound unsatisfactory to me. So this was not relaxing-sounding in a good way, but in an attempt to be “natural sounding” that works better with vocal-based genres than others. Eletronica didn’t sound right to me, the way it did on the Alpha.
  • Also important to mention that the Alpha does some amazing vocals.
Overall, I still prefer the Alpha for SQ and I dare say, the OS. Once I got used to side loading Tidal and Qobuz on the Alpha, its actually snappier than the M8, which also has issues with Tidal and Qobuz apps for many users (as per the M8 headfi thread it seems).

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #162 of 587
More gear impressions from some recent audio-meets. Not covering every gear I tried, but only those that left an impression on me, whether positive or negative.

-Audeze LCD i4: Not a traditional form factor - more like a mini headphone you put on your ears while you are on the go. Moreover, these IEMs are best used in a quiet environments since they do not isolate you from external noise. But all said and done, what a gorgeous sounding IEM, the i4 is. The i4 has a beautiful creamy sound that’s not too wet, while possessing tight, impactful bass, the kind you get from headphones, and a nice midrange and an interesting take on treble. Ear gain is a tad wanting, so the presentation is far from neutral, but I loved it. Really did. The pairing with the Kann Alpha was outstanding and reminiscent of proper full-sized headphones with large drivers.
Score: 8.5/10

IMG-0443.jpg

-FiiO M11 Plus LTD: Terrible DAP. Period. The treble sounds wrong. Harsh, bright and unpleasant. The DAP looks and feels beautiful though. The DAC paired with the KSE1200 sounded quite good. Its the amp section that they screwed up, it seems.
Score: 4.5/10

IMG-0457.jpg

-Hiby RS6: A better proposition than the M11 Pro. It’s an R2R DAC-based DAP. Vocals sound good. Intimate. Overall, treble and bass are not its forte. But of course, it is not an R2R thing to be midrange-forward, necessarily. Its just this DAP. Overall, not a bad DAP if you like intimate vocals but not my cup of tea.
Score: 6.5/10

R6.jpg

-Shure KSE1200: I tried this for a second time, this time using the FiiO M11 DAC section. The DAC section of this DAP is decent and synergizes well with the KSE1200. The KSE1200 is a resolution monster, while retaining a sound signature that is pleasant, easy to listen to, and quite natural sounding, other than lacking the lowest reaches of bass as well as lacking bass impact.
Score: 7.5/10

IMG-0448.jpg

While at the meet, folks also tried and were mighty impressed by the Astell&Kern Kann Alpha and the Thieaudio Monarch MK1. The Alpha, as usual, surprised people with its neutral but engaging sound, good macro dynamics, and excellent staging and imaging. Meanwhile, the Monarch impressed people with its clarity, tuning, imaging, overall technical performance and for being the subbass king (monarch?).

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #163 of 587
If you will be using your DAP in the office and plan to stream audio, make sure to consider the quality of the Wifi connection. It can be really problematic in some DAPs. That was why I chose the Hiby R6 Pro back in pre-virus times. The balanced out did a great job driving my work closed backs (DCA Aeon Flow C, back then). I don't use IEMs for work in the office, because I can't wear them comfortably for more than about an hour. (Plus, they get annoying if you work in an environment where people often come by to talk to you a lot and you have to remove them each time.) However, I do occasionally use them when traveling and I can confirm that the R6 Pro has no hiss or anything like that with sensitive IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #164 of 587
More gear impressions from some recent audio-meets. Not covering every gear I tried, but only those that left an impression on me, whether positive or negative.

-Audeze LCD i4: Not a traditional form factor - more like a mini headphone you put on your ears while you are on the go. Moreover, these IEMs are best used in a quiet environments since they do not isolate you from external noise. But all said and done, what a gorgeous sounding IEM, the i4 is. The i4 has a beautiful creamy sound that’s not too wet, while possessing tight, impactful bass, the kind you get from headphones, and a nice midrange and an interesting take on treble. Ear gain is a tad wanting, so the presentation is far from neutral, but I loved it. Really did. The pairing with the Kann Alpha was outstanding and reminiscent of proper full-sized headphones with large drivers.
Score: 8.5/10

IMG-0443.jpg

-FiiO M11 Plus LTD: Terrible DAP. Period. The treble sounds wrong. Harsh, bright and unpleasant. The DAP looks and feels beautiful though. The DAC paired with the KSE1200 sounded quite good. Its the amp section that they screwed up, it seems.
Score: 4.5/10

IMG-0457.jpg

-Hiby RS6: A better proposition than the M11 Pro. It’s an R2R DAC-based DAP. Vocals sound good. Intimate. Overall, treble and bass are not its forte. But of course, it is not an R2R thing to be midrange-forward, necessarily. Its just this DAP. Overall, not a bad DAP if you like intimate vocals but not my cup of tea.
Score: 6.5/10

R6.jpg

-Shure KSE1200: I tried this for a second time, this time using the FiiO M11 DAC section. The DAC section of this DAP is decent and synergizes well with the KSE1200. The KSE1200 is a resolution monster, while retaining a sound signature that is pleasant, easy to listen to, and quite natural sounding, other than lacking the lowest reaches of bass as well as lacking bass impact.
Score: 7.5/10

IMG-0448.jpg

While at the meet, folks also tried and were mighty impressed by the Astell&Kern Kann Alpha and the Thieaudio Monarch MK1. The Alpha, as usual, surprised people with its neutral but engaging sound, good macro dynamics, and excellent staging and imaging. Meanwhile, the Monarch impressed people with its clarity, tuning, imaging, overall technical performance and for being the subbass king (monarch?).
Thanks for the quick reviews. What full sized headphone does the Audeze LCDi4 make you think of?

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #165 of 587
I have been considering getting into IEMs more as normal work from office resumes all around me.

I currently own the Kann Alpha and have been considering upgrading, mostly due to the Alpha's rather smallish screen.

I am not one to be overly possessed by pride of ownership. If someone shows me a better product than what I own, I will usually try to sell mine and get the better one (within reason, of course).

I wanted to like the Shanling M8 over the Kann Alpha because the latter’s screen is small and O/S is mediocre at best. I had the opportunity of trying the M8 recently at a meet-up with a fellow HeadFi-er and friend.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have to report that M8 sound signature was in no way more preferable to me, than the Kann Alpha’s. In fact, I might far prefer the Alpha’s sound to that of the M8, iBasso DX300, and other comparables.

Brief impressions: Kann Alpha VS Shanling M8

IMG-0398.jpg

Build:
About equal. Both are well-built DAPs.
Aesthetics: The M8 is much prettier. The larger screen is nice to look at as is the nice shape to the device.
OS: The M8 O/S is as bad as the Alpha’s if not worse. God, its slow. Very slow.
Sound Quality:
  • They are both “colored” (in fact, I don’t know what isn’t. We should stop using this word as audio reviewers, as it confuses more than it clarifies).
    🙂
  • I noticed a roll-off at both ends of the FR with the M8, particularly with the Thieaudio Monarch OG. The subbass roll off was more noticeable with an IEM that has insane amounts of subbass. Note that the roll-off was only noticeable in A/B-ing. It’s not noticeable if you are only running the M8.
  • The Alpha has a tighter bass, noticeably more defined, and a crisper treble, while maintaining a natural, pleasant midrange.
  • The M8 sounds relatively more midrange forward and “relaxing” but in a way that made metal and rock music sound unsatisfactory to me. So this was not relaxing-sounding in a good way, but in an attempt to be “natural sounding” that works better with vocal-based genres than others. Eletronica didn’t sound right to me, the way it did on the Alpha.
  • Also important to mention that the Alpha does some amazing vocals.
Overall, I still prefer the Alpha for SQ and I dare say, the OS. Once I got used to side loading Tidal and Qobuz on the Alpha, its actually snappier than the M8, which also has issues with Tidal and Qobuz apps for many users (as per the M8 headfi thread it seems).
You mention the DX300, did you hear that one too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back