Amplifier under around 500 GBP for newly converted Head-Fier
Jul 31, 2011 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

2oldnslow

New Head-Fier
Hi there my first post so please be gentle 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've recently moved into an apartment and had to make some serious compromises to the way I listen to music.  Headphones would seem to make sense so I'm about to treat myself to a head amp/headphone package. 

Apart from ear-buds my only current headphones are a pair of Sennheiser HD25P's I bought when I was into home recording many years ago and a pair of Bose QC15's I bought for travelling.  

Of the two the Bose sound much more "my cup of tea"  but then of course the HD25P's are monitoring phones so I guess a little "clinical".

Most of my listening these days is sourced from my PC either FLAC rips (dbpoweramp)  replayed through FOOBAR through an EMU 0404 USB connected to a pair of Roland active monitors.  

So the new system would I'm thinking be laptop - EMU -  amp - phones.   I know the EMU has a headphone amp and it does seem to drive the HD25P's ok but I'm sure I can do better.

I've seen a package for 615 GBP  of Graham Slee Solo SRG  and HD650's that appeals going by what I've read ( I live in Cyprus so a demo is pretty much impossible).   Any other suggestions ?  

Budget is flexible

thanks in anticipation

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 3
I would prefer the HD-600 over the 650, you'll be substituting a grey and black plastic finish for the 650s' fancy titanium metallic housing, but you'll still be getting a high-end pair of open-air headphones while saving enough money to buy a really nice amp as you listen to your music of choice, ongoing rate is around £200, from amazon uk.
For the amp, consider the Portable-Desktop amp from Qes labs, it is battery operated, can come with USB DAC option, so you directly hook up to your laptop. A review is here.
SQ is superb, and both would fit your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back