Amplifier or portable Dac, do I need one?
Jun 15, 2018 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Renato Fury

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys, all right? Well, I would like to improve the sound of my smartphone that sucks, of course I do not expect an amplifier or a dac to do more miracles if they can improve by 30% maybe leaving the sound a little cleaner and clearer already good. I was even taking a look at some electronics and two of them caught my attention, JDS Labs cMoyBB and FiiO Q1, but I'd like to know more about how a portable amplifier or dac in this price range could influence sound, and also if one is more important than the other. Oh, and before anyone says, yes I know the headphone is the most important, and also intend to have a hi-end level ...... Well that's it, I'm waiting for your answers. Thank you. :L3000:

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 76
If you really want to be blown away, save up for a Chord Mojo.
If I really would be surprised, I would be surprised at the amount of taxes that I would have to pay when I arrived in my country. But as I said I do not expect these products to be of extreme quality like Chord Mojo, I just want a clean source of clear, but I do not know if I should go with an amplifier or a dac because I do not know how important they are on a portable system. And I also do not know if those electronics I mentioned would make any difference, even minimal. What do you think ?

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 76
If I really would be surprised, I would be surprised at the amount of taxes that I would have to pay when I arrived in my country. But as I said I do not expect these products to be of extreme quality like Chord Mojo, I just want a clean source of clear, but I do not know if I should go with an amplifier or a dac because I do not know how important they are on a portable system. And I also do not know if those electronics I mentioned would make any difference, even minimal. What do you think ?

Which phone are you using? I can speak for iPhones, but zero Androids (even though I prefer and primarily use an Android, just never used its headphone output).

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 76
Which phone are you using? I can speak for iPhones, but zero Androids (even though I prefer and primarily use an Android, just never used its headphone output).
Have you ever used the output of a smartphone? wow, but my dear you're not answering me what I asked. What I want to know is whether I use these electronics I mentioned or any other that is in the same price range will make a difference in sound quality. As for the headphone I intend to use an efficient and easy to drive.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 76
Have you ever used the output of a smartphone? wow, but my dear you're not answering me what I asked. What I want to know is whether I use these electronics I mentioned or any other that is in the same price range will make a difference in sound quality. As for the headphone I intend to use an efficient and easy to drive.

I can speak for the DAC quality of the iPhone 6 and 7, it's actually not bad for highly efficient headphones that don't require an amp.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 76
With the iPhone 6 or 7, I don't think so. I've even tried, with the Audio Technica ATH-A900X (42 ohms 100 dB/mW for reference).

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 76
With the iPhone 6 or 7, I don't think so. I've even tried, with the Audio Technica ATH-A900X (42 ohms 100 dB/mW for reference).
But I do not mean the power of the smartphone or the iphone, I wonder if a portable amplifier or dac of up to 100 dollars may or may not help improve the "quality" of the sound significantly.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 76
...I do not expect these products to be of extreme quality like Chord Mojo, I just want a clean source of clear, but I do not know if I should go with an amplifier or a dac because I do not know how important they are on a portable system.

An amplifier will just amplify the signal coming out of the analogue headphone output of the mobile phone. Some have line out mode but that's basically just running it at full volume and you just get less distortion and noise because of the very high impedance of the amplifier's input circuit.

A DAC will take the digital signal from the phone completely bypassing everything in it except for the CPU and any software DSP running (note that not all of Samsung's built in DSP features will work via USB output). It will then spit out an analogue line signal, but you still need to amplify that into a signal that will move a transducer properly. Even if such a transducer doesn't need more than 1.5V to destroy your eardrums, a DAC's output system will not be able to cope with the curent requirements if it's a low impedance headphone (that gets worse with low sensitivity headphones, but then again that's why I gave the 1.5V part).

What you have been referring to are DAC-HPamps, which have both the DAC circuit and a headphone amplifier circuit built into the same device. The difference is still the same - either you let the phone's audio chip run as both a DAC and analogue output chip - ie, think of how most mobile CPUs also have a GPU chip in the same module - and feed the amplifier an analogue signal, which might have some noise or non-linear response, or just use a DAC-HPamp and leave everything audio save for the DSP to the external, audio-specific device, in which case, some phones might not work with some devices. Or it works that it sends a signal, but it can still have noise.

So basically there's a risk that either way there's a probability that it won't work, either the amp picks up a crap signal, or your phone isn't compatible. It's hard to say which one is more likely other than if you can check on the Android DACs thread that your particular phone works with USB OTG audio, and generally flagship phones tend to have good audio output on their own (just not enough power for most headphones and a few oddball IEMs) while also supporting USB audio via USB OTG. If you have an iPhone, the same is pretty much true, although (just switch over OTG and 3.5mm to "appropriate dongle") there's less variance to troll through since every year there's really just one version every year (well, more than one, but audio functionality is consistent anyway).

In short: we can't give specific answers unless it's somebody with the exact specific same version as your phone. That's not just USB audio functionality but also sound quality of the analogue output, because some phones have alternate audio chips. Samsung makes Snapdragon versions for T-Mobile, and while they're not bad on their own, some Galaxy S versions suck compared to the Exynos+Wolfson versions of the same phones. My S3 had bloated bass regardless of whether you plug in a 16ohm or 32ohm IEM, or even if you feed the signal into a 1000ohm amplifier input stage.

As to how important they are, that also varies. Regardless of the system, all systems have a circuit or single chip that serves as a DAC and amplifier, which in the case of mobile phones is a single integrated audio chips (which on Snapdragon CPUs is built into the CPU itself, in some cases the performance is handicapped to favor battery life like how you

And I also do not know if those electronics I mentioned would make any difference, even minimal. What do you think ?

That depends on a lot of variables. Many flagship smartphones and next tier down (or different design/market, parallel lines, like the Sx and Note x, Gx and Vx0, etc) can do well enough on a 100dB/1mW sensitivity IEM that in only rare cases (like some Snapdragon Galaxy S phones) will you find some problem with the power (S3 Snapdragon has bloated bass) or noise; go a few tiers down and you'll find that problem more consistent across more smartphones (some old HTC my brother had, his old LG Stylo, my J7 Prime, my cousin's J7 Pro, etc). LG's G6 and V20 and up tend to be the best out there though, right up there with iPhones (if you can live with dongles; although technically the dongle reliant models have their own audio chips built into the dongles).

So in other words it depends on your phone and what IEM you're using. If you're using for example a Galaxy Note 8 or S9, and more so if you have the Exynos+Wolfson versions (more of the S9 probably; never had a problem on all of the Notes) and an IEM with an impedance of around ~32ohms (maybe down to 16phms on the Exynos+Wolfson versions) to ~120ohms and sensitivity of around 105dB/1mW, then an external device is probably not going to have any appreciable difference outside of using it on a desk where 1) you're doing more critical listening, ie, your attention isn't divided, and 2) the noisefloor is also lower, for the effort to lug something strapped on to the phone which you will end up bringing up to your mouth when a call comes in because even if your IEM has a mic, it won't go through DAC-HPamps which have no mic preamp inputs (much less an ADC).

He did (partially) answer what you asked...
HF_02.png

...but he can't answer beyond that because, surprise, he's only really used the digital output on the few Androids he has owned, while iPhones have very few models and have generally had consistent audio output driving IEMs directly since the iP5. At the same time, read back what I've been saying on this thread. Not getting a direct answer to a not even specific enough question isn't "not answering" (sic) your question, we're saying 1) we can't give a very specific answer and nobody can unless they have the very specific phone version and IEM in question (something I also already said above) and 2) no one can even begin to do so when nobody knows what phone and IEM (or headphone) you are using.

That's like asking "do I need a turbocharger or supercharger?" without stating what your car and your engine is and what you're going to use it for. If you already have an American car with a 7.0L V8 then probably not, unless you want to go into higher tiers of drag racing events; if you have anything else with a smaller engine, a high revving Honda typically would not work with well with the strong, pulsing waves of intake air from a screw-type blower, and requires either a turbo (which used to spool up slowly, especially with a smaller engine) or a centrifugal supercharger (which, like a screw-type, has parasitic drivetrain loss), but a lower revving Toyota engine can work with a screw-type supercharger the same way some Mercedes with long stroke engines also use them, from the four banger on the old SLK and C-Class all the way to the xx55 AMG models; then how much boost is needed or where depends on whether you just want to easily get past long, slow trucks before slamming into incoming traffic, or if you want a lot of power all the way to redline for the track but improve the low end for tight corners, or just not give a hoot about torque below 3000rpm because you're going to drag race anyway.

In the same manner, if you're using for example a Galaxy Note 8 or S9, and more so if you have the Exynos+Wolfson versions (more of the S9 probably; never had a problem on all of the Notes) and an IEM with an impedance of around ~32ohms (maybe down to 16phms on the Exynos+Wolfson versions) to ~120ohms and sensitivity of around 105dB/1mW, then an external device is probably not going to have any appreciable difference outside of using it on a desk where 1) you're doing more critical listening, ie, your attention isn't divided, and 2) the noisefloor is also lower, for the effort to lug something strapped on to the phone which you will end up bringing up to your mouth when a call comes in because even if your IEM has a mic, it won't go through DAC-HPamps which have no mic preamp inputs (much less an ADC).

But do you think an amplifier of up to $100 could improve the sound considerably ?

What IEM and what phone are you using? If you're using for example a Galaxy Note 8 or S9, and more so if you have the Exynos+Wolfson versions (more of the S9 probably; never had a problem on all of the Notes) and an IEM with an impedance of around ~32ohms (maybe down to 16phms on the Exynos+Wolfson versions) to ~120ohms and sensitivity of around 105dB/1mW, then an external device is probably not going to have any appreciable difference outside of using it on a desk where 1) you're doing more critical listening, ie, your attention isn't divided, and 2) the noisefloor is also lower, for the effort to lug something strapped on to the phone which you will end up bringing up to your mouth when a call comes in because even if your IEM has a mic, it won't go through DAC-HPamps which have no mic preamp inputs (much less an ADC).

But I do not mean the power of the smartphone or the iphone, I wonder if a portable amplifier or dac of up to 100 dollars may or may not help improve the "quality" of the sound significantly.

He was not talking about the power of the headphone, which it does not produce, only receives.

What he was saying was with regards to sensitivity and impedance. His headphone was a 42ohm headphone with a sensitivity of 100dB/1mW. 42ohms is not far out of where most circuits produce the most power, ie, at 32ohms, so power might not even have begun to drop off yet. The second figure means that given 1dB of input, and the right digital signal gain, it has the potential to hit 100dB with just 1mW of power. Smartphones have around 5mW at 32ohms (and probably still have as much by 42ohms), so there's the likelihood that with a Loudness War recording (ie, 99% of every album from the last ten years that isn't an audiophile release), you can blow out your eardrums with the same headphones even before you start clipping the signal.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 76
An amplifier will just amplify the signal coming out of the analogue headphone output of the mobile phone. Some have line out mode but that's basically just running it at full volume and you just get less distortion and noise because of the very high impedance of the amplifier's input circuit.

A DAC will take the digital signal from the phone completely bypassing everything in it except for the CPU and any software DSP running (note that not all of Samsung's built in DSP features will work via USB output). It will then spit out an analogue line signal, but you still need to amplify that into a signal that will move a transducer properly. Even if such a transducer doesn't need more than 1.5V to destroy your eardrums, a DAC's output system will not be able to cope with the curent requirements if it's a low impedance headphone (that gets worse with low sensitivity headphones, but then again that's why I gave the 1.5V part).

What you have been referring to are DAC-HPamps, which have both the DAC circuit and a headphone amplifier circuit built into the same device. The difference is still the same - either you let the phone's audio chip run as both a DAC and analogue output chip - ie, think of how most mobile CPUs also have a GPU chip in the same module - and feed the amplifier an analogue signal, which might have some noise or non-linear response, or just use a DAC-HPamp and leave everything audio save for the DSP to the external, audio-specific device, in which case, some phones might not work with some devices. Or it works that it sends a signal, but it can still have noise.

So basically there's a risk that either way there's a probability that it won't work, either the amp picks up a crap signal, or your phone isn't compatible. It's hard to say which one is more likely other than if you can check on the Android DACs thread that your particular phone works with USB OTG audio, and generally flagship phones tend to have good audio output on their own (just not enough power for most headphones and a few oddball IEMs) while also supporting USB audio via USB OTG. If you have an iPhone, the same is pretty much true, although (just switch over OTG and 3.5mm to "appropriate dongle") there's less variance to troll through since every year there's really just one version every year (well, more than one, but audio functionality is consistent anyway).

In short: we can't give specific answers unless it's somebody with the exact specific same version as your phone. That's not just USB audio functionality but also sound quality of the analogue output, because some phones have alternate audio chips. Samsung makes Snapdragon versions for T-Mobile, and while they're not bad on their own, some Galaxy S versions suck compared to the Exynos+Wolfson versions of the same phones. My S3 had bloated bass regardless of whether you plug in a 16ohm or 32ohm IEM, or even if you feed the signal into a 1000ohm amplifier input stage.

As to how important they are, that also varies. Regardless of the system, all systems have a circuit or single chip that serves as a DAC and amplifier, which in the case of mobile phones is a single integrated audio chips (which on Snapdragon CPUs is built into the CPU itself, in some cases the performance is handicapped to favor battery life like how you

That depends on a lot of variables. Many flagship smartphones and next tier down (or different design/market, parallel lines, like the Sx and Note x, Gx and Vx0, etc) can do well enough on a 100dB/1mW sensitivity IEM that in only rare cases (like some Snapdragon Galaxy S phones) will you find some problem with the power (S3 Snapdragon has bloated bass) or noise; go a few tiers down and you'll find that problem more consistent across more smartphones (some old HTC my brother had, his old LG Stylo, my J7 Prime, my cousin's J7 Pro, etc). LG's G6 and V20 and up tend to be the best out there though, right up there with iPhones (if you can live with dongles; although technically the dongle reliant models have their own audio chips built into the dongles).

So in other words it depends on your phone and what IEM you're using. If you're using for example a Galaxy Note 8 or S9, and more so if you have the Exynos+Wolfson versions (more of the S9 probably; never had a problem on all of the Notes) and an IEM with an impedance of around ~32ohms (maybe down to 16phms on the Exynos+Wolfson versions) to ~120ohms and sensitivity of around 105dB/1mW, then an external device is probably not going to have any appreciable difference outside of using it on a desk where 1) you're doing more critical listening, ie, your attention isn't divided, and 2) the noisefloor is also lower, for the effort to lug something strapped on to the phone which you will end up bringing up to your mouth when a call comes in because even if your IEM has a mic, it won't go through DAC-HPamps which have no mic preamp inputs (much less an ADC).

He did (partially) answer what you asked...

...but he can't answer beyond that because, surprise, he's only really used the digital output on the few Androids he has owned, while iPhones have very few models and have generally had consistent audio output driving IEMs directly since the iP5. At the same time, read back what I've been saying on this thread. Not getting a direct answer to a not even specific enough question isn't "not answering" (sic) your question, we're saying 1) we can't give a very specific answer and nobody can unless they have the very specific phone version and IEM in question (something I also already said above) and 2) no one can even begin to do so when nobody knows what phone and IEM (or headphone) you are using.

That's like asking "do I need a turbocharger or supercharger?" without stating what your car and your engine is and what you're going to use it for. If you already have an American car with a 7.0L V8 then probably not, unless you want to go into higher tiers of drag racing events; if you have anything else with a smaller engine, a high revving Honda typically would not work with well with the strong, pulsing waves of intake air from a screw-type blower, and requires either a turbo (which used to spool up slowly, especially with a smaller engine) or a centrifugal supercharger (which, like a screw-type, has parasitic drivetrain loss), but a lower revving Toyota engine can work with a screw-type supercharger the same way some Mercedes with long stroke engines also use them, from the four banger on the old SLK and C-Class all the way to the xx55 AMG models; then how much boost is needed or where depends on whether you just want to easily get past long, slow trucks before slamming into incoming traffic, or if you want a lot of power all the way to redline for the track but improve the low end for tight corners, or just not give a hoot about torque below 3000rpm because you're going to drag race anyway.

In the same manner, if you're using for example a Galaxy Note 8 or S9, and more so if you have the Exynos+Wolfson versions (more of the S9 probably; never had a problem on all of the Notes) and an IEM with an impedance of around ~32ohms (maybe down to 16phms on the Exynos+Wolfson versions) to ~120ohms and sensitivity of around 105dB/1mW, then an external device is probably not going to have any appreciable difference outside of using it on a desk where 1) you're doing more critical listening, ie, your attention isn't divided, and 2) the noisefloor is also lower, for the effort to lug something strapped on to the phone which you will end up bringing up to your mouth when a call comes in because even if your IEM has a mic, it won't go through DAC-HPamps which have no mic preamp inputs (much less an ADC).

What IEM and what phone are you using? If you're using for example a Galaxy Note 8 or S9, and more so if you have the Exynos+Wolfson versions (more of the S9 probably; never had a problem on all of the Notes) and an IEM with an impedance of around ~32ohms (maybe down to 16phms on the Exynos+Wolfson versions) to ~120ohms and sensitivity of around 105dB/1mW, then an external device is probably not going to have any appreciable difference outside of using it on a desk where 1) you're doing more critical listening, ie, your attention isn't divided, and 2) the noisefloor is also lower, for the effort to lug something strapped on to the phone which you will end up bringing up to your mouth when a call comes in because even if your IEM has a mic, it won't go through DAC-HPamps which have no mic preamp inputs (much less an ADC).

He was not talking about the power of the headphone, which it does not produce, only receives.

What he was saying was with regards to sensitivity and impedance. His headphone was a 42ohm headphone with a sensitivity of 100dB/1mW. 42ohms is not far out of where most circuits produce the most power, ie, at 32ohms, so power might not even have begun to drop off yet. The second figure means that given 1dB of input, and the right digital signal gain, it has the potential to hit 100dB with just 1mW of power. Smartphones have around 5mW at 32ohms (and probably still have as much by 42ohms), so there's the likelihood that with a Loudness War recording (ie, 99% of every album from the last ten years that isn't an audiophile release), you can blow out your eardrums with the same headphones even before you start clipping the signal.
That this my friend, you just wrote a book, you deserve to win all the trophies of this site. :p But I'm sorry for the fact that you asked for your time since I understood practically nothing, especially when you got to talk about cars since I also do not understand about them, so I told you a while back that analogies are not your strong point. But come on, my cell phone is a Lenovo Vibe C2 and the headphone I intend to feed is a Brazilian called Kuba Disco. Knowing this information could you repeat what you just said, in a more summarized and easier way for a noob as I understand it? :D

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 76
That this my friend, you just wrote a book, you deserve to win all the trophies of this site. :p But I'm sorry for the fact that you asked for your time since I understood practically nothing, especially when you got to talk about cars since I also do not understand about them, so I told you a while back that analogies are not your strong point.

They are if you're into cars, which is why other people say the complete opposite thing about the analogies. Problem is, if soemthing isn't my weak point (if one can even call it that), it's about making any analogies about something I do not understand myself, which is exactly why I'm only using the ones I do understand. If you aren't into what else I do understand, well, sorry, I can't make parallel examples based on anything I don't understand either, precisely because I don't.

Knowing this information could you repeat what you just said, in a more summarized and easier way for a noob as I understand it? :D

Dude...it's right up there. I already put the summary at the end or start of some of the paragraphs, or on paragaph/s at the start and end of each block. You need to slow down and comprehend instead of focusing on making a point about how analogies are not my strong suit, because it's starting to look like comprehension isn't your strong suit - you basically even told Rhamnetin he isn't answering your question just for asking more information so he actually might be able to give a more specific answer to your question.

Again, because you missed it up there: there are too many variables to consider, and you haven't even given us two that we need before this post, and even after you did, we'd have to have the exact same gear to make an educated enough guess, and one stumbling block here is if the smartphone in question is a different version from what GSMArena reviewed or from what we have, and whether we have accurate data on the IEM or headphone.

But come on, my cell phone is a Lenovo Vibe C2 and the headphone I intend to feed is a Brazilian called Kuba Disco.

OK, now that we have these, finally, we have something to work with.

On the phone: GSMArena doesn't even have any data on testing the audio performance, so there's no way to tell how much distortion and noise it has given an impedance load or how much output it has. That said, given it's a smartphone, and these use practically the same audiochips just with different implementations, safe to say it should at least have 5mW. Circuit design and whether it's a separate integrated audio chip or built into the CPU along with the GPU as with Snapdragon processors (although there might be some phones out there that use Snapdragon CPUs but then use a separate audio chip) makes separate audio chips slightly safer to assume to have cleaner sound, but as with T-Mobile Samsungs, it's practically not an issue with the Galaxy Note series unlike some in the Galaxy S line, but that could also be software related. Bottomline: let's assume it has 5mW of usable power.

Now, the headphone. The manufacturer claims 113dB/1mW. That basically means that, assuming it's an accurate figure, given a high enough gain on whatever you're listening to, 5mW is enough to hit the ideal theoretical target (for estimating whether an amp won't run out of power for dynamic peaks) 120dB with that headphone, if at least at the frequency that that figure was measured at, because they don't say. Almost universally though not necessarily as an enforced standard this is measured at 1000hz (even for speakers, but in that case it's measured at 1M away from the speakers), however some headphones - particularly those with a lot of bass, this is measured at a different frequency. So in such cases, if a headphone is measured at 100hz for example, that means it won't necessarily hit 120dB with 5mW, and not even close if for example it's got a bass plateau that has a +10dB difference between 100hz and 1000hz.

Given current technology I highly doubt that this headphone is 113dB/1mW at 1000hz. However, assuming that whatever frequency that's measured at isn't as much as 10dB louder than 1000hz, then it's still entirely possible that it could still be fairly sensitive at 1000hz, so unless the difference is that drastic, no, an amp isn't going to make a hell of a lot of difference. On top of which, if that were measured somewhere in the bass region, and assuming it goes as low as 40hz before the response is weaker than at 1000hz, then chances are even if you can't even hit the theoretical ideal target of 120dB at 1000hz, you won't stress your phone cranking it up trying to hear the bass either. If anything, it might even have too much bass, if the bass region is too strong compared to the midrange and treble. For comparison, enough people think the HD650 barely has any treble, despite the fact that it doesn't roll off the treble, it just has at its peak around ~3dB to ~5dB louder in the lower freqs vs 1000hz, though that goes up a little bit vs 2000hz.

So again, in case you didn't pick that up from what I said, chances are an amplifier is not going to make much of a difference with those headphones. And just to cover all my bases, neither will a DAC-HPamp, unless your smartphone is utter crap. For reference, even as a long time audiophile, for portable use I don't mind teh slightly crappy output of my J7 Prime on my beater IEMs, which are just 100dB/1mW (although the higher levels of isolation does allow for less ambient noise, so I'm not really pushing the audio chip's amplification on this one, even if it's integrated into the Snapdragon CPU).

One other bit detail that might be of higher consideration for you in daily usage: amplifeirs and DAC-HPamplifiers can not pas on the signal from the in-line remote on the headphones, something this headphone has. A few might, if they were some kind of "Made for iPhone" or similar product, because these were specifically intended to work with that by having the contacts on the DAC-HPamp, but even if an amp has it, you're going to need a cable connecting the amp to the phone to have that contact for the remote as well (DAC-HPamps that do allow this can do that via the USB connection, theoretically).

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 76
Seems like there should be a much easier answer to this...

An amplifier is not going to make anything sound better because it will only be amplifying the bad signal from your phone.

A DAC/amp (combo unit) might make it sound better, but that depends on 1) how good your headphones are, and 2) how good your phone already sounds.
Here's a test you can do that might help answer those questions: listen to the same file (not just the same song, but the same file copied between the devices) on two or more different devices (e.g., your phone and PC)-- does it sound different between devices? If you can hear a difference then your headphones might be resolving enough to benefit from a DAC/amp.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 76
Seems like there should be a much easier answer to this...

An amplifier is not going to make anything sound better because it will only be amplifying the bad signal from your phone.

A DAC/amp (combo unit) might make it sound better, but that depends on 1) how good your headphones are, and 2) how good your phone already sounds.
Here's a test you can do that might help answer those questions: listen to the same file (not just the same song, but the same file copied between the devices) on two or more different devices (e.g., your phone and PC)-- does it sound different between devices? If you can hear a difference then your headphones might be resolving enough to benefit from a DAC/amp.
Yes, I fully understand that the main thing about a system is the headset, and I did this test that you said and I could not distinguish the difference between the two, but explain one thing to me, if the amplifier only has the function of amplifying the So what are the advantages of having more expensive amplifiers besides of course the power they offer?

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 76
They sound different. Everything sounds different. If you want your setup to sound better, you'll need to start buying things. If you don't, you won't. Back in the day, people used to tell you when you joined, "Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet."

This one has orgasmic sound, and costs 400 usd.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-audio-xdsd.23046/reviews#review-20438

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back