Amping the Grado SR80i's? (TTVJ Slim, PA2V2, etc.)
Aug 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
So I got my first pair of Grado's yesterday after deciding it;s time to take a break from listening to high end IEM's and get me a pair of decent cans. I usually amp everything I have but was wondering if the SR80i's will have any benefit whatsoever. My setup is an iPod Nano 2G to LOD to amp. My portable amps are the TTVJ Slim, Audinst AMP-HP, SoundMagic A10, & the EA PA2V2. Any thoughts?

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 7
the sr-60 sounds a little more opened up and lush with an amp like the cmoybb, so i don't see why the sr-80 wouldn't benefit as well.

try a slightly darker amp for better synergy with those beauties. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7

I used an Fiio E5, until I decided to upgrade and gave it away, and it definitely helped the SR80i's sound a lot better. And that's just a 30 dollar amp. I've been told that the Fiio E11 does a phenomenal job as well, while being only $60 give or take.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 7
I believe the pa2v2 has adjustable gain if you open it up and adjust it(unless it's already adjust for low gain headphones then your good.). since you are moving from IEM to Fullsize and this might be useful in the future with your pa2v2 unless you have an really old model.

The grado does benefit from amping as previously stated. They benefit more so than with iem.

If possible can you do a quick comparison of a10 vs pa2v2 with the grado.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, I actually did just test them out, and in an honest, through my personal ears, no overhyped BS opinion, the SoundMagic A10 made the bass bigger and more impact, with a slightly thicker sounding midrange. The PA2V2 still had the same basic sound, but sparkled up the treble and the midrange ever so slightly. Maybe that's just my ears though.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 7

you're hearing it right then - i think the a10 is supposed to be a bit darker and musical vs the pa2v2 which is slightly brighter. if you like what the a10 does for the grados, i think you'll love the cmoybb even more. it just depends on the kind of synergy you're hoping to achieve.
Quote:
Well, I actually did just test them out, and in an honest, through my personal ears, no overhyped BS opinion, the SoundMagic A10 made the bass bigger and more impact, with a slightly thicker sounding midrange. The PA2V2 still had the same basic sound, but sparkled up the treble and the midrange ever so slightly. Maybe that's just my ears though.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 7
I do like the SoundMagic, the bass increase is rather nice, not a huge fan of the mids, but I am more of a treble head. Increased bass but still a detailed sound. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back