Amping Sennheiser HD 650
Sep 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jukebox

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Fiio e11 with the HD 515's, and I love the sound and all, best I've ever heard, but I want an upgrade. I am coming up on some funds and wanna buy a headphone that I will have for the rest of my life, so I look to top of the line Sennheiser products to fulfill my wants. I am very interested in buying the HD 650's but am afraid that my Fiio e11 won't power them the way the should be powered. I used the serch bar to see if anyone has talked about using this combo and found nothing, so what do you guys think, worth the buy? thanks for any input.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 33
Get the headphones, worry about another amp if you have problems. The E11 can apparently manage 35mW into 300 ohms on high gain, which is plenty. I don't know how it measures at that kind of output, but it'll be plenty loud and probably better than a lot of other stuff you could buy.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 33
Probably. They're a highly regarded headphone. Get it somewhere that takes returns if you can, in case you don't like the sound signature.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
So if I do get the HD 650, I will notice a considerable/enjoyable sound upgrade?

You're in luck ~ possibly some of the best luck actually.

If you think the HD 515 sounds great then be prepared to be blown away.

Sorry, I rarely ever slate a headphone and call it 'rubbish' but the HD 515
is terrible in my opinion, even amped.

The only way is up, let us know your thoughts after the upgrade.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 33
Okay thanks guys, I only bought the HD 515 on from an asthetics standpoint, not really researching, which I should of.

I will be purchasing the HD 650 in a couple of weeks and I will post my review in this thread.

Thanks guys.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 33
The e11 will probably be fine in all regards for your headphone use and can drive the hd650 to extremely loud volumes.  I wouldn't use high gain if you don't plan on using it with a portable player as the signal will likely end up clipping.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
The e11 will probably be fine in all regards for your headphone use and can drive the hd650 to extremely loud volumes.  I wouldn't use high gain if you don't plan on using it with a portable player as the signal will likely end up clipping.

What do you mean, I always use high gain, to get the most power out of them, and I blast them.

I use an ipod, with a fiio line out.

The get a little fatigue-ing when I blast them for long periods of time, also at high levels they get warm.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 33
High gain is fine for ipods and portable sources which have lower voltage capabilities compared to desktop sources.  A higher gain for a weaker signal of portable sources at 0.5-1V is fine as this will get to you similar voltage swings of desktop sources.  However, when you are using a desktop source which is capable of higher voltage outputs and you continue to use high gain you can possibly clip on your amplifier where your amplifier cannot produce the full sine wave due to the fact that it requires your amp to push more voltage than it can output.  Don't worry about your headphones in this scenario, the fiio cannot put out enough power to damage your drivers.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 33
Don't be too hasty to judge if it doesn't sound great from the FiiO. There's a reason these cans are so well regarded and people have chosen to build rigs around them.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Don't be too hasty to judge if it doesn't sound great from the FiiO. There's a reason these cans are so well regarded and people have chosen to build rigs around them.
Well that's my question...

I don't even want a possibility of me not liking the sound difference, with such a big upgrade I should hear it, night and day.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 33

What olor1n is suggesting here is that they 'scale' up and up as you upgrade your equipment.

I can personally testify this is the case after first hearing them out of a reasonable Onkyo receiver
and then trying to give them more juice when I brought around my solid state full sized Counterpoint
amp - they sounded good, but once I heard them through a Lehmann Black Cube - it was a different
story. They seemed faster, with more attack.

This should not deter you from buying them, rejoice in that the fact that they will respond to better
equipment.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Better equipment? I bought the e11 cuz it was reviewed as one of the best portable amps for that price.

Numbers wise it should be quite serviceable at LEAST.

I almost bought it too for portable use on the go but the added line noise was too much for me, its a great
product for the price but there is a tendency for a lot of portables to add graininess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back