Amp3
Oct 13, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #1,501 of 2,090
Anyone tested just how much can be loaded onto a 16gb card?

I'm at 13.5gb out of 14.8 total space (just over 90%) and it still loads fine. Haven't had the time to find out exactly how much it can load yet. I'm also currently using 2.99gb out of the 3.69gb internal memory.

I'd post updated impression but I haven't had time to sit down and compare to something else. I've been listening to it so much I'm certain most of the change is probably in my head (adapting to the sound of the amp3) and not actual so I'll try to sit down and compare to my D3 again Friday perhaps (having a busy week -_-).

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #1,503 of 2,090
OK, don't have the Pro2 yet (my Pro 1 eats memory cards for lunch), but none the less, wanted to share my recent (and yes, repetitive) listening experience.

I have the RE252's, which are the next in line after the RE0, the Zino's, IE8, Mingo WM2, etc. and have been doing comparative listening when I have the time, which seems like way too little recently.

So, for example, I will listen to the RE252 with my AMP3, then go to my sound card amp, back to the AMP3, then from my Fuze HP out, E5, etc. The amazing thing about the AMP3 is it can make fine space in the RE252 really come out and be a magical pairing with plenty of bass, or it can make my $19 Philips SHE9500 compete with $50-$80 IEMs with another DAP/amp, even though the 9500 doesn't have the space of the 252.

Almost everything just sounds better, and it doesn't matter if I am using the Fuze, my sound card, or the DAP function of the AMP3, as the amp portion is just great!

And how does it compare to the D2? I don't know, but the Fuze and D2 are supposedly similar, and the AMP3 totally blows away the Fuze IMO. Not that the Fuze sounds bad, it doesn't. But the AMP3 just has better space and overall presentation making the sound more 3D, realistic, and natural sounding.

And if you want headphones that require or benefit from an amp (such as the PK1, or IE8 IMO), the AMP3 will power them like champs.

Of course, the AMP3 is not perfect, and I can't comment on the improvements of the AMP3 Pro2, but damn Gina, it sounds so very good to my ears.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #1,504 of 2,090
well, i only had a d2 for a short while, but amp3 is much more 'total' sound - a more seious bit of kit for the discerning ear - i feel that the amp3 will scale better with music material and headphones than the more 2 dimensional d2 ever would

Quote:

Originally Posted by lars9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who can compare AMP3 with Cowon D2? I'm trying to choose one from those two...

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,505 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Below is a link to a post I made in this thread about the AMP3 driving HD650. I've gone back to this combination a number of times since making this post, and all of my experiences have only solidified for me everything that I wrote in that post.

HD650 are not particularly sensitive (rated at 102 dB/mW), and I have never heard any of the low-level background sounds from the AMP3 using HD650 that I HAVE heard from the AMP3 using the much more sensitive SE530 IEMs (rated at 119 dB/mW). So hearing the "hiss" from the AMP3 that is discussed in this thread is not related to how "audiophile" (or good-sounding) a set of headphones is but, more directly, to its sensitivity. Impedance is also a factor. For low impedance phones with high sensitivity where "hiss" is a problem, increasing the impedance of the phones with an impedance adapter or an in-line attenuator has often been reported to reduce or eliminate the "hiss" problem. And, good news, the HD650 is a relatively high impedance phone, at 300 ohm. So, even if the HD650 WERE a high-sensitivity phone (which it is not), it would still not be a good candidate for a "hiss" problem because of its relatively high impedance.

Here's the link to the HD650/AMP3 post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...ml#post6043801

Thank you for your answer sbulack :wink:

Greg

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #1,506 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by lars9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who can compare AMP3 with Cowon D2? I'm trying to choose one from those two...

amp3 has better detail and a bit larger soundstage, in my opinion. not to mention amp3 can drive phones d2 needs a separate amp for. i have both and since i've got amp3 i've used d2 only once. i still like d2 but i think amp3 is better sound-quality-wise.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #1,507 of 2,090
I know someone said that the PAA1 earbuds look identical to the sennheiser mx500s, but do they sound the same? MX500s are reputable but the PAA1s have been compared in to yuin earbuds in this thread.. completely different price range.

Also, does the 5.31 firmware for the pro1 fix the battery issue? Maybe I just missed it but I don't recall ever reading about the battery

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,508 of 2,090
Holy cow - I didn't think I'd ever reach the end of this thread - although I will admit I did skip a couple of pages. I have ordered my AMP3 and can't wait to get them in. I'll post my own tid bit of information after I get to taste the sound!

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #1,509 of 2,090
The 5.31 firmware does not fully fix the issue of the charge light going out when charging is complete. That said, I have not had any issues with incomplete charges requiring another charge cycle.

Battery life is so long that I have only had about 3 recharges since updating the firmware. Perhaps the charge light will never go out, as the AMP3 continues to play while on the external charger. I have not yet tried recharging via the computer USB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know someone said that the PAA1 earbuds look identical to the sennheiser mx500s, but do they sound the same? MX500s are reputable but the PAA1s have been compared in to yuin earbuds in this thread.. completely different price range.

Also, does the 5.31 firmware for the pro1 fix the battery issue? Maybe I just missed it but I don't recall ever reading about the battery

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #1,510 of 2,090
I'm really liking the AMP3 Pro2. So far, the comments about difficult navigation doesn't hold true in my books. I didn't even read the manual and I have a feel of how the buttons work and where to find songs quite effortlessly, it's very similiar to the Sansa Clip/Fuze in that regard. My only gripe is going "HOME" proves a bit tricky. The only problem is that while you're navigating during playback, you'll get "pauses" in the song.

Additionally, another issue is that if you unplug your headphones and switch to another one, with the Pro2 (FW 5.31) it will freeze on you.

Faults aside, I'm not sure if I've gotten past burn-in period but it does sound very lovely. Very musical and detailed, with a relatively wide soundstage. So far my HF-2 -> Grado Adapter Cable -> AMP3 is my reference portable rig.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #1,511 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really liking the AMP3 Pro2. So far, the comments about difficult navigation doesn't hold true in my books. I didn't even read the manual and I have a feel of how the buttons work and where to find songs quite effortlessly, it's very similiar to the Sansa Clip/Fuze in that regard. My only gripe is going "HOME" proves a bit tricky. The only problem is that while you're navigating during playback, you'll get "pauses" in the song.

Additionally, another issue is that if you unplug your headphones and switch to another one, with the Pro2 (FW 5.31) it will freeze on you.

Faults aside, I'm not sure if I've gotten past burn-in period but it does sound very lovely. Very musical and detailed, with a relatively wide soundstage. So far my HF-2 -> Grado Adapter Cable -> AMP3 is my reference portable rig.

The Pro2 also runs with FW 5.31?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5.31 firmware does not fully fix the issue of the charge light going out when charging is complete. That said, I have not had any issues with incomplete charges requiring another charge cycle.

Battery life is so long that I have only had about 3 recharges since updating the firmware. Perhaps the charge light will never go out, as the AMP3 continues to play while on the external charger. I have not yet tried recharging via the computer USB.

Any plans to change to the Pro2?
ph34r.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #1,512 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ph34r.gif

The Pro.2 in my possession runs FW V5.41

When I recharge my Pro.2, when it is done charging (as shown by constant full bars on the battery graphic on its display), the red led goes out, every time.

With my Pro.1 (even with the latest FW V5.31), most of the time, the red led remains on - even after the AMP3 is showing constant full bars on the battery indicator on its display. Once or twice (running FW V5.31) the red led on the Pro.1 has gone out when the battery was finished charging. It appears to me (using the Pro.2 that I have) that there is a difference in the display of the battery charging indicator red led between the Pro.1 and Pro.2.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #1,513 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ph34r.gif

I have a Pro.2 enroute. I will be comparing the various characteristics of each.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #1,514 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With my Pro.1 (even with the latest FW V5.31), most of the time, the red led remains on - even after the AMP3 is showing constant full bars on the battery indicator on its display. Once or twice (running FW V5.31) the red led on the Pro.1 has gone out when the battery was finished charging. It appears to me (using the Pro.2 that I have) that there is a difference in the display of the battery charging indicator red led between the Pro.1 and Pro.2.

Are you experiencing this when you're using the wall charger or when you're charging from your PC?

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #1,515 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you experiencing this when you're using the wall charger or when you're charging from your PC?

That's a good detail to make explicit. All of my AMP3 charging experience has been obtained using the wall charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back