Amp3
Oct 15, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #1,516 of 2,090
Interesting experience. I have in my possession a completely modded Amp3 from a member named Germania. She sent it to me after some back and forth. She spent like $100 on new parts, and it sounds fantastic. Even more air than the original. It's silver, mine is black. I prefer the silver.

Anyway, the mods are very technical. Here is what she did (from her PM to me). Very interesting, and I have no idea what all of it means, but it's fun to listen to. The battery is new (60 hours not 100), but it makes the unit much lighter. Anyway, very cool. Germania is a MOT, but this is not a sale. She just wanted me to hear her work. I like it.

(this is verbatim from her email)

I did all of the cable leads for the caps in natural teflon sleeving.

4x Cerafine 47uf 6V for the DAC
1x Military grade ceramic decoupling capacitor for the op-amp
3x Rubycon 470uf low ESR Power caps in various places. Unfortunately one of the 100uf smd caps could not be removed and replaced due to location, but it isn't in a critical location where it would affect the analog sections)

1x 950maH Sony Li-Ion with built in charging and overcharging circuit (from their high end radio handsets - even the cable leads are Silver plated copper in teflon (no joke)) . So 60 hours of battery life wah wah. In the future though I would use nice Motorola Radio batteries as this was just too expensive for one battery.

Plus Damping foam on the inside to minimize vibrations of the capacitors.

I de-stickied the buttons as well, so it is no longer a mushy feel (now actually clicks).

I ditched the Vishay film bypasses because well, cerafines have great highs. That and with the film bypasses, the soundstage had a bit of echo to it.
The etched sound is gone. No sibilance. Unfortunately, you loose a tiny bit of treble detail.

Best part.......the DEEPEST bass you will ever hear from equipment less than $500.

I am not joking when I am telling you that I am listening to 120ohm SFI orthos with it right now.
The overall gain of the circuit is also higher, but the noise is basically gone. With these power hungry phones, it isn't the greatest that these can do. You need a high current output Mosfet, BJT, Speaker amp, or Tube design to do that and a minimum of 12-15V voltage swing.

The chip in the Amp3 only has a 2.5V voltage swing.

The noticeable sources of noise are:

- When the OLED display is on - tried to get rid of it, no dice.
- When paused there is a bit from not getting any signal to the amplifier chip (which also converts balanced to SE in this amp).

Otherwise, I can use it with my 8ohm IEMs and hear very little noise (which is due to the output impedance mis-match).

If someone ever desired, this unit could be turning into an iMod of sorts pretty easily if someone did not need the amplifier section. Replace the line in with a 4 pole mini out and send a balanced signal out.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #1,518 of 2,090
No problem. I really do like the sound changes, though subtle. And I favor the silver over black, and the lighter DAP is also a plus. Not that the black one is heavy, but I am amazed at the difference.

Kinda of cool someone did all that.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #1,520 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pro2 also runs with FW 5.31?

Any plans to change to the Pro2?
ph34r.gif

Oops my fault it runs the latest firmware 5.41

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #1,521 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem. I really do like the sound changes, though subtle. And I favor the silver over black, and the lighter DAP is also a plus. Not that the black one is heavy, but I am amazed at the difference.

Kinda of cool someone did all that.

I prefer the silver unit too, I'm not sure if there's a SQ difference between a silver and a black unit, unless one is of them is modded
bigsmile_face.gif

I wish I was able to do the described modification, but my eyes have by age become more long-sighted and my fingers are trembling too much to be able perform any kind of micro soldering at this level....

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #1,522 of 2,090
The mod that you described tsarn06 is definitely very technical. But i think i really want to hear it just to be able to compare the differences lol. I think i like the difference in weight too, the amp3 is not heavy. Just heavier than its size suggests.

Thanks Germania for opening the door to modding.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #1,523 of 2,090
It arrived today
biggrin.gif

Predictably I'm a happy man, really nice sounding unit. It's the Pro 2, 4GB Memory, yadda yadda.

Only thing is I am not a massive fan of earbuds. I'm more an IEM man. Does anybody know of decent IEMs that work well with the player?

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #1,524 of 2,090
If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive pair that matches up well, I have had great synergy with the Klipsch S4, about $79. One caveat: You must burn the S4s in for 100+ hours before they will shed their somewhat harsh out of the box sound. Just the way it is. I didn't care all that much for them new, but after hooking them up to my extra PC for a week or so, they bloomed big time.

Of course, you also need to burn in the Amp3 as well, just one of those things.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #1,525 of 2,090
IMO the Mingo WM2 sounds excellent with the AMP3, as does the IE8. IMO most IEMs sound great with the AMP3, for example my Philips SHE9500 sounds much more expensive IEMs with the AMP3. However, the NE-7 doesn't match well with the AMP3 IMO.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #1,526 of 2,090
Just got the AMP3 plugged it into my computer, downloaded Joan Baez, Pete Fountain Dixieland Jazz Flamenco and a score of other music and tried to listen to it. No manual made if a Mistery how to play it. I went to head fi and found a review where it said to press and hold the round button and so it opened. Using AMP3 version 2 with JH13 pro (are IEMs. )

First the sound. The details of the imaging in space are sculpted as if vivid crisp sounds of a Myriad of locations each distinct and clear sprinkled spherically in a rain of music to delight the soul in perfection not hitherto heard, every tincle every bass every mid they all pour out seamlessly. Not like I was there in real space but as if transported to a pure music space where there are only expectations of surprise and the fulfillment or the dispersed instruments dancing from a sphere of locations creating the experience that makes me fulfilled. Finally there is what I want to ask.... What took everyone so long to find this combination? I am in satisfaction heaven and I want to say no more.... can you sense my enthusiasm?!!!!

Now to the problems. I tried loading folders with music but the player could not find them so I had to empty the files into the player and deleted the folders. it plays them one by one in line now. I cannot find the way to Shuffle the player into selecting at random. I did not receive any warranty nor a manual and I am unfamiliar with how to use it.

I emailed Craig about the lack of manual and lack of Warranty, but since then I read someone say that there is a one year warranty though I have no written info to that effect.

Can anyone post how to get into the shuffle option? and generally how to navigate through this wonderful sounding device? Is there a way to upload folders and have the player play them from folders?

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #1,527 of 2,090
To scroll to Settings, you press the right arrow and the center button down simultaneously. Once you see "Music" you use the right button to get to the next screen. In Settings, use Play Mode to move to Random. One word of warning...Before you turn off the Amp3, go back to Normal, or it takes forever to start (assuming it's loaded with tracks).

Yes, the GUI can be a pain when you are starting out, but it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I don't have the manual on this PC, but it's available. Will someone send it to Tungfree. I know Craig posted a link to it on the Whiplash forum somewhere too. If I can find it, PM me your email and I will send it.

And the Amp3 only gets better with burn-in/use. Glad you like the sound.

I also find it much easier to charge using the USB cable and my PC, and not the AC adapter. I leave it hooked up overnight.

There are quirks to overcome, but it's well worth it. Enjoy.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #1,528 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It arrived today
biggrin.gif

Predictably I'm a happy man, really nice sounding unit. It's the Pro 2, 4GB Memory, yadda yadda.

Only thing is I am not a massive fan of earbuds. I'm more an IEM man. Does anybody know of decent IEMs that work well with the player?

I have to add that unfortunately the UM3X do not play well with the Amp3, mainly due to the overbearing hiss. But not sure you wanted to spend $330 on an IEM. THere are several IEMs that mesh with the Amp3, and some are already posted here. Expect more.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #1,529 of 2,090
Quote:

To scroll to Settings, you press the right arrow and the center button down simultaneously. Once you see "Music" you use the right button to get to the next screen. In Settings, use Play Mode to move to Random. One word of warning...Before you turn off the Amp3, go back to Normal, or it takes forever to start (assuming it's loaded with tracks).

Yes, the GUI can be a pain when you are starting out, but it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I don't have the manual on this PC, but it's available. Will someone send it to Tungfree. I know Craig posted a link to it on the Whiplash forum somewhere too. If I can find it, PM me your email and I will send it.

And the Amp3 only gets better with burn-in/use. Glad you like the sound.

I also find it much easier to charge using the USB cable and my PC, and not the AC adapter. I leave it hooked up overnight.

There are quirks to overcome, but it's well worth it. Enjoy.

Am I understanding that you recommend, not to leave it in shuffle but to exit it to normal? before shutting it down and reset to shuffle once I restart? I use the player 2 times a day once to drive to school teaching in the morning for an hour and then to go home.

What I do to shut it off now is I press the round button for 3 seconds or so. am I shutting it off that way or need to hold it longer? is it safe to do that kind of a shut off or is this the kind you say not to?
I will reread what you recommended. I assume I am to do a right arrow and middle button until I reach music then reach the new screen with right button and change shuttle to normal each time I am about to shut it off?

tstarn06 thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #1,530 of 2,090
Quote:

I have to add that unfortunately the UM3X do not play well with the Amp3, mainly due to the overbearing hiss. But not sure you wanted to spend $330 on an IEM. THere are several IEMs that mesh with the Amp3, and some are already posted here. Expect more.

Sound like a bad news to me, my IEMs are UM3X and PFE. I can hear the hiss on E5 really clear and if the hiss is anywhere closer to what Fiio E5 then it is too much for me. I should stick with my Clip+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back