Amp3
Oct 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #1,486 of 2,090
The Amp3-Pro.2 that I ordered arrived at my home via Priority Mail this afternoon. Thanks to Santa Sanborn and all of the Post Office Oompa Loompas for bringing this special package to my front door.

Here are a few things I've tried with the Pro.2 and my results and observations that I can share with you all:
1) The Original FW version in a Pro.2 is 5.41.
2) The maximum volume setting withi this Firmware is back to 31.
Default Sleep Time is "Off" in this Pro.2 5.41 FW.
3) So far, the buttons are behaving as I would expect them to from being familiar with using the Pro.1, and working well.
4) The SQ, during its early period (after the first 20 minutes, but before it starts to get into its (what I call) "too bright" period, is close, close, close to the Pro.1. Any difference, at all, that I hear can easily be attributed to a new unit that hasn't been properly run in yet. The main such difference being a subtle one: the sound from the Pro.2 is a little milder and warmer than the fully broken-in Pro.1, just a little. The bass is either "a little fuller" or "a little less tight". And, with se530, the background sound (I call it a slow, soft exhale, rather than a hiss) is an appreciable step softer and lower in volume on the new Pro.2 than on the fully used Pro.1. How any of these differences (and they are small and subtle) will evaporate or becore more marked with more use of the Pro.2 is something that I'll just have to hear as the hours of use accumulate on the Pro.2. I heard nothing compelling in this early phase of the Pro.2 which enables me to say that the Pro.2 sounds better than, or even really different from, the Pro.1. While doing some A/B listens between them, I was equally likely to get "lost" just listening to the music on either unit, and had to prod myself to get back to the A/B comparison.
5) I copied a single .flac file onto the internal storage of the Pro.2, and it played without discontinuities - it sounded really beautiful as a matter of fact. The sound from this same .flac file played from the internal storage of my Pro.1 running 5.31 FW was so full of small discontinuities as to be unlistenable to me. So, this is a definite step in the direction we were hoping for.

I have a spare 8GB microSDHC card, which I'll load up 90% with .flac albums later to see how that works. If that works, I'll be able to put about 1.7 times as many albums on a microSDHC as .flacs relative to .wav files. I'll try that later, and post the results that I get.

6) I was able to just pop a full 8GB microSDHC card (that I'd filled while it was inserted into the Pro.1) into the Pro.2 and it has worked fine while I've navigated, selected and played selections from it. I'll need to try this later with the 16GB microSDHC card (90% filled) that I'm currently using in the Pro.1 (5.31 FW) to see how it works as well. A 16GB microSDHC card 90% full of .flac albums could be really nice IF that all turns out to work OK with the Pro.2. Many small steps to take first before that leap can be checked out.

OK, so those are the things I've tried so far and the results. As far as SQ is concerned, MY Mileage May Vary as my hours of use accumulate on the Pro.2.
So far, given the first few things I've actually tried with the Pro.2, it's all good!!!

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #1,487 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, with se530, the background sound (I call it a slow, soft exhale, rather than a hiss) is an appreciable step softer and lower in volume on the new Pro.2 than on the fully used Pro.1.

so, to compare, does pro2 have less hiss than pro1 with low impedance phones? i feel i'll be asking this question a lot from all the ppl who own both :p ; it's just i really want it to work with my triple.fi's without attenuator...

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #1,488 of 2,090
Quote:

The Amp3-Pro.2 that I ordered arrived at my home via Priority Mail this afternoon. Thanks to Santa Sanborn and all of the Post Office Oompa Loompas for bringing this special package to my front door.

Here are a few things I've tried with the Pro.2 and my results and observations that I can share with you all:
1) The Original FW version in a Pro.2 is 5.41.
2) The maximum volume setting withi this Firmware is back to 31.
Default Sleep Time is "Off" in this Pro.2 5.41 FW.
3) So far, the buttons are behaving as I would expect them to from being familiar with using the Pro.1, and working well.
4) The SQ, during its early period (after the first 20 minutes, but before it starts to get into its (what I call) "too bright" period, is close, close, close to the Pro.1. Any difference, at all, that I hear can easily be attributed to a new unit that hasn't been properly run in yet. The main such difference being a subtle one: the sound from the Pro.2 is a little milder and warmer than the fully broken-in Pro.1, just a little. The bass is either "a little fuller" or "a little less tight". And, with se530, the background sound (I call it a slow, soft exhale, rather than a hiss) is an appreciable step softer and lower in volume on the new Pro.2 than on the fully used Pro.1. How any of these differences (and they are small and subtle) will evaporate or becore more marked with more use of the Pro.2 is something that I'll just have to hear as the hours of use accumulate on the Pro.2. I heard nothing compelling in this early phase of the Pro.2 which enables me to say that the Pro.2 sounds better than, or even really different from, the Pro.1. While doing some A/B listens between them, I was equally likely to get "lost" just listening to the music on either unit, and had to prod myself to get back to the A/B comparison.
5) I copied a single .flac file onto the internal storage of the Pro.2, and it played without discontinuities - it sounded really beautiful as a matter of fact. The sound from this same .flac file played from the internal storage of my Pro.1 running 5.31 FW was so full of small discontinuities as to be unlistenable to me. So, this is a definite step in the direction we were hoping for.

I have a spare 8GB microSDHC card, which I'll load up 90% with .flac albums later to see how that works. If that works, I'll be able to put about 1.7 times as many albums on a microSDHC as .flacs relative to .wav files. I'll try that later, and post the results that I get.

6) I was able to just pop a full 8GB microSDHC card (that I'd filled while it was inserted into the Pro.1) into the Pro.2 and it has worked fine while I've navigated, selected and played selections from it. I'll need to try this later with the 16GB microSDHC card (90% filled) that I'm currently using in the Pro.1 (5.31 FW) to see how it works as well. A 16GB microSDHC card 90% full of .flac albums could be really nice IF that all turns out to work OK with the Pro.2. Many small steps to take first before that leap can be checked out.

OK, so those are the things I've tried so far and the results. As far as SQ is concerned, MY Mileage May Vary as my hours of use accumulate on the Pro.2.
So far, given the first few things I've actually tried with the Pro.2, it's all good!!!

Pro1 and Pro2 sounds similar? Just that Pro1 bass is tighter?

Possible to extract the FW from the Pro2 to install on Pro1? =X

So that we can know if its the FW that make the sound milder and warmer.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #1,489 of 2,090
Wow thanks sbulack for the impressions so far and i look forward to hearing more as you spend some more time with the pro2.

I am jealous at least so far the changes in the sound sig seem subtle but would definitely be welcome.

If it is possible to upgrade to 5.41 FW i would be very interested.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #1,490 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro1 and Pro2 sounds similar? Just that Pro1 bass is tighter?
Possible to extract the FW from the Pro2 to install on Pro1? =X

So that we can know if its the FW that make the sound milder and warmer.

My SQ observations are not final. I am sharing with you all what I am hearing with my new Pro.2, comparing it with my well broken-in Pro.1. I don't know yet how the SQ of the Pro.2 may change as I accumulate hours of use on it - I'll share those observations as I make them over time. So far, the difference in SQ that I am hearing between the two units is not sufficient to warrant an attempt at a FW transplant experiment between them to see if that is where the SQ difference is coming from. The main SQ experiment that I am currently engaged in is to continue to observe and compare the SQ between the two units as I accumulate more hours of use on the Pro.2.

As I wrote in my original "sharing my initial observations" post:
Quote:

As far as SQ is concerned, MY Mileage May Vary as my hours of use accumulate on the Pro.2.

When I'm waiting for impressions of a new piece of audio gear, I find it annoying when folks who get it first post something like, "I'll be back in a few weeks, after complete burn-in, to post my final description of its sound."
I'd rather get their early impressions, and follow the progress of their impressions as their hours of use and listening experience with the new piece of gear accumulate. So, this is what I'm attempting to do. Until I've used the Pro.2 for somewhere in the 200-400 hours range, I'm not intending for my observations of its SQ to be final at all - just progress updates of what I'm hearing. I'll make it clear when I'm not hearing any more changes in the sound of the Pro.2 and my impressions of its sound can be taken as my "final answer". We're SO far from there at this point, if my listening experience with the Pro.1 can be used as an indication (and I am prone to think that it can). What I can still say about the Pro.2 at this point (at about 8 hours of use) is that it sounds as wonderful as I would expect it to as a member of the AMP3 product line, which for me is pretty darned wonderful.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #1,491 of 2,090
Thanks sbulack for first impressions, looking forward for more to come. I am also very interested if it's possible to upgrade to FW 5.41? (flac support?!/16gb card) btw, with pro2 no gapless playback?

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #1,492 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagatti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... with pro2 no gapless playback?

I have a CD of tracks that I know was produced to give seamless playback as one continuous, CD-length performance. With other mp3 players on which I have played back the mp3's of these tracks, I get seamless playback. With the AMP3-Pro.2, there is a very brief moment of discontinuity between the tracks during which nothing is playing. It is so brief that, by the time I realize it is there, the next track is already playing. My observation of this behavior of the AMP3-Pro.2 with this set of tracks is one indication that it does not, yet, support gapless playback. The gap is very brief and unobtrusive, though, to my listening.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,493 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, to compare, does pro2 have less hiss than pro1 with low impedance phones? i feel i'll be asking this question a lot from all the ppl who own both :p ; it's just i really want it to work with my triple.fi's without attenuator...

I've had the Pro 2 burning in for about 20 hours, and I am using it as an amp, feeding it with a 4G Imod, and with that set up I do not hear appreciable hiss with the Triple-Fi until the volume is in the high 20s, but that is overwhelmingly loud with music, so with the volume set about 22 or 23, with no music I heard very little if any hiss, and of course with the music playing there is none. Can't say how that compares with the Pro 1, but the Triple -Fi seems not to hiss much with the Pro 2, using it as an amp.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,494 of 2,090
thanks vorlon1; volume in high 20s with triple.fi? that would be so loud it'll border on epic, don't think i'll risk that :p. good to hear you don't get any appreciable hiss there.
how's the sound overall with triple.fi's for you? on pro1 i couldn't stand that combo.

sbulack - the hiss did not really diminished on pro1 with burn in, as we all know; the new firmware did help somewhat though. so, my question stands - hiss on pro2 vs. pro1 (new firmware) with low impedance phones, how does it compare?

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,495 of 2,090
Quote:

... sbulack - the hiss did not really diminished on pro1 with burn in, as we all know; the new firmware did help somewhat though. so, my question stands - hiss on pro2 vs. pro1 (new firmware) with low impedance phones, how does it compare?

I'm not sure what you are asking for from me. In your last post on this: # 1487 above, you quote my comparison of the two (which, so far, stands). You already know how I compare the two, again so far. If you are asking me for updates as the sound using the Pro.2 changes, then those updates will have to wait until those changes have taken place (which they have not yet). When those changes occur, and I have heard them, I will post about what I have heard. If you are asking me for something else, you'll need to describe more explicitly what additional comparative information you are asking me for.

When you say low impedance phones (related to hiss), I take it that you mean high sensitivity phones (which would pick up on subtle background sounds, like a hiss), which less sensitive - even if low impedance - phones would not pick up on. My most sensitive phones are the SE530, which is why I used them to compare the background sound level between my Pro.1 (5.31 FW) and my new Pro.2. Is there another comparison for which you are interested in the result and for which I have the gear to readily perform? Please keep in mind that I don't own, or have ready access to, a set of Triple-Fi's, so I can't do that compare.

Here's something I just thought of: Post the impedance and sensitivity measured for the model of Triple-Fi's that you own, and I'll compare the background sound between my Pro.1 (5.31 FW) and my Pro.2 using a phone that I own which best matches and post my comparison for you. How's that?

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #1,496 of 2,090
Quote:

thanks vorlon1;
how's the sound overall with triple.fi's for you? on pro1 i couldn't stand that combo.

Not so good. The bass is kind of boomy, and the overall sound seems kind of lifeless. Odd, because the sound is excellent with other phones.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #1,497 of 2,090
sbulack - sorry man, didn't mean to be such a pest. just wonted you to elaborate a little bit. and yes, you are right - high sensitivity will reveal hiss. i've noticed, however, that low impedance phones i've tried with amp3 do reveal more hiss than higher impedance ones.

plus, i suppose, the perception of "hiss" is pretty subjective. for example, i can't even listen to ATH-A900 straight out of amp3 because of it. the FM update helped a bit but not enough.

didn't mean to offend, apologies if came out like that.

vorlon1 - yah, that's pretty much spot on - i would have described amp3 plus triple.fi as "dead" sort of sound. except with pro1 version they are also pretty "hissy".

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #1,498 of 2,090
Hi,

This is the first time I post on Head-Fi although I have been reading it for a long time...I am building at the moment a headphone system and I am also interested in adding an "audiophile" quality player (for travelling needs) that would match correctly with ambitious headphones such as the Senn HD 650 or the Precide Ergo 2.

In your opinion, does the amplifier section of the AMP3 have enough muscle to drive these headphones and particularly the HD650 which is by far more demanding than the Ergo 2 ?

Besides, do you think the use of audiophile headphone with the AMP3 could enhance even more the hissing issue I read about in this thread ?

Many thanks for your attention to my questions.

Greg

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #1,499 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
In your opinion, does the amplifier section of the AMP3 have enough muscle to drive these headphones and particularly the HD650 which is by far more demanding than the Ergo 2 ?

Besides, do you think the use of audiophile headphone with the AMP3 could enhance even more the hissing issue I read about in this thread ?

Many thanks for your attention to my questions.

Greg

Below is a link to a post I made in this thread about the AMP3 driving HD650. I've gone back to this combination a number of times since making this post, and all of my experiences have only solidified for me everything that I wrote in that post.

HD650 are not particularly sensitive (rated at 102 dB/mW), and I have never heard any of the low-level background sounds from the AMP3 using HD650 that I HAVE heard from the AMP3 using the much more sensitive SE530 IEMs (rated at 119 dB/mW). So hearing the "hiss" from the AMP3 that is discussed in this thread is not related to how "audiophile" (or good-sounding) a set of headphones is but, more directly, to its sensitivity. Impedance is also a factor. For low impedance phones with high sensitivity where "hiss" is a problem, increasing the impedance of the phones with an impedance adapter or an in-line attenuator has often been reported to reduce or eliminate the "hiss" problem. And, good news, the HD650 is a relatively high impedance phone, at 300 ohm. So, even if the HD650 WERE a high-sensitivity phone (which it is not), it would still not be a good candidate for a "hiss" problem because of its relatively high impedance.

Here's the link to the HD650/AMP3 post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...ml#post6043801

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,500 of 2,090
I have a little question. I searched this thread and read a few comments of some saying the PAA-1 (stock phones) were better than PK1 and some that say vice versa... (of course with the amp3 player)

I'm interested only in the bass reproduction of the two. Do either of these PK1's or PAA's distort this?: http://94.23.217.59/bass.mp3
And if neither distorts, which brings out the bass in that sample better (stronger, more noticeable)?

I just want some opinions from those of you who own both before I spend $150 for some PK1's, I want to be sure they will do my hip-hop/R&B music justice
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back