Amp3
Oct 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #1,456 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The edges are pretty sharp on the front but smooth/rounded off more on the back. I would have liked the controls black or gray with white lettering better.

I have gathered my current phones towards the Pro2 coming. The only one that might hiss would be the JVC M750(32 Ohm, 115 sens.). At volume 20 and above hiss does start to occur. This is both as a player and as an amp. The JVC is pretty sensitive but 40mm drivers are not armatures. It seems that the hiss is lessened but not eliminated.

I do find the Pro2 quite bright as an amp. It does cross the line there. The test is minidisc -> Headroom Cardas HPI -> M750 and this is a bit bright for my taste. Even with more rolled off Atrac 132 bitrate and the darker minidisc and headphones it needs to tame down.

The stock buds are good but not as good as the buds that came with my SmartQ T5-II. With some burn-in they might catch up and could sound quite similar if the bass and treble each subside and allow a bit more detail. I tested on three players and always favored the SmartQ buds though the fit of the PAA-1 is more comfy and secure.

First little bug encounter(I assume): Switched from line in to resume now playing and volume seemed to be locked at about one(barely audible). Needed a reboot to regain control of the volume again.

The brightness will let up after burn in. This player needs a fair amount before the "magic" really kicks in.

Santa (aka Craig)

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,457 of 2,090
I barely noticed hiss with most of my music which is metal. But there is some hiss which is noticeable on tracks with quiet sections. Its no worse than my D3 and easily tamable with an impedance adapter. I used my shure volume attenuator when listening to some classical music. Didn't have to turn it down very far at all to get rid of the hiss on my se530. The hiss was only bothersome with the small selection of classical music I tried. Even with my jazz music it wasn't bothersome unless I listened at low volume (< 17ish). I found hiss to only increase from volume 20 onward, below that it is unchanging (and really below 20 is where it was most noticeable, above it the music tends to cover it up).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First little bug encounter(I assume): Switched from line in to resume now playing and volume seemed to be locked at about one(barely audible). Needed a reboot to regain control of the volume again.

I encountered this issue as well. Apparently its not switching back out of amp (line in) mode. The volume one you hear happens when you try to play music off the AMP3's dap while the it is in 'amp' mode (at least that's how the pro 1 was).

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #1,458 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... The pro1 needed about 200 hours for the brightness to subside and about 400-600 hours to get to it's final, fantastic sound.

And with bases loaded, average_joe hits his usual grand slam home run!!! (... and the crowd goes wild!!!)

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #1,460 of 2,090
Quote:

The pro1 needed about 200 hours for the brightness to subside and about 400-600 hours to get to it's final, fantastic sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And with bases loaded, average_joe hits his usual grand slam home run!!! (... and the crowd goes wild!!!)

I definitely plan on letting my AMP3 run 24/7 for the next 4 weeks. Twenty four. Seven.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #1,461 of 2,090
Judging from the reviews. I think Pro1 suits me better. I hate bright stuff. Anyone that own both Pro1 and Pro2 can compare the "brightness" out of box? Based on impression i guess.

And the bundled earbuds, J or Y cord? Cause i find the J cord very irritating, not sure if HiSound changed it to Y.

Can someone take a picture of Pro1 and Pro2 together? lol. Somehow i find Pro1 looks nicer, don't know if the back is the same.

Please tell me Pro1 sounds more musical. lol. I don't wanna get a new one ): I just get mine recently.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #1,464 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aww )=

but according to jant71 its more neutral?

Unless I misunderstand, jant71 is not comparing to the pro 1 but making general observations. I think perhaps getting someone to say the pro1 sounds better than pro2 will be a hard sell
tongue.gif

But I'm thinking if the pro2 was miles ahead of the pro1 it would be blowing my mind. And as much I'm loving it it is not quite THAT great. But we won't really know until pro2s get that good ol 600 hours burn in, by good reviewers that have pro1s with 600 hours burn in
evil_smiley.gif

The included paa-1 buds still have J cord btw and I agree, don't care too much for that style.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #1,466 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We should call him above average joe...

Thanks, blushing.

And I thank you sbulack for all your great posts about the AMP3, which I am sure have helped many people, they at least are valuable to me! Your typical draining of the clutch 3 pointer at the end of the game (NBA preseason is starting, yeah).

And a huge thanks to Craig who made this all possible by somehow finding Hisoundaudio and selling the AMP3 at a fantastic price. Oh, and providing kick ass service at the same time! The thunderous, unstoppable slam dunk!

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #1,467 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by acolyte289 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely plan on letting my AMP3 run 24/7 for the next 4 weeks. Twenty four. Seven.

Pull it off every couple of days to see what differences you can hear, and A/B with another source. For example, my Denon C710 was just too bright for me under 200 hours, but soon after was such a pleasurable paring.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,468 of 2,090
Quote:

Pull it off every couple of days to see what differences you can hear, and A/B with another source. For example, my Denon C710 was just too bright for me under 200 hours, but soon after was such a pleasurable paring.

I'm carrying it around during the day, still hooked up to phones and playing of course. Its my only portable player currently so I'll be listening to it daily. Not that I wouldn't be carrying it around if I had other working DAPs, cause I totally still would be
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #1,470 of 2,090
Received the Pro2 today. Smaller than I expected though I must say that the edges could hurt a man.
cool.gif

The hiss is discernible with both the UM3xs and my AD900s. The sound quality is top notch however. I would not say it's treble-centric but neutral. With my AD900s, the sound to my ears is surprisingly smooth. My diyMod (with Pico amp) is a considerably brighter source.

This is just my first impressions so the signature could change considerably in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back