Amp3
Jul 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #242 of 2,090
The 150 USD deal seems like a really good deal but I'm just afraid that after I buy this, the hisoundaudio company is going to start pumping out "better" players, such as the Golden Hall, the Master, etc.

Could you comment on where the Amp3 stands on the whole chain SACD-Man? I mostly listen to acoustic, especially kpop / jpop. I'm wondering whether this would be the ideal buy for me.

Also, the hiss seems like it might be a problem. Would it be easily fixed with an impedance adapter?

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #243 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so that everyone is aware, all of your comments are being heavily looked at as they build new models. They take this VERY serious and welcome to listen to your opinions.

I can't really comment on the future, but i will say this, the new models will address lots of these request/interests!!
L3000.gif

Larger onboard memory would be nice too. 32gb flash memory packaged/housed for end use retails for under US$70 -- the wholesale/bulk price is probably less than half that.

I'm intrigued by this product and coming second generation products, but it's now 2009 and I simply refuse to buy any more 2gb or 4gb players, SD slot or not. My minimum requirements are 16gb onboard + 16gb SD/microSD slot (with 32+32 even better).

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #244 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 150 USD deal seems like a really good deal but I'm just afraid that after I buy this, the hisoundaudio company is going to start pumping out "better" players, such as the Golden Hall, the Master, etc.

Could you comment on where the Amp3 stands on the whole chain SACD-Man? I mostly listen to acoustic, especially kpop / jpop. I'm wondering whether this would be the ideal buy for me.

Also, the hiss seems like it might be a problem. Would it be easily fixed with an impedance adapter?

Somewhere I saw the next models are six months out. I decided not to wait, but the prices, even full price, is pretty reasonable for the potential. And the fact they package high-end ear buds a la Yuins (even if they are not in fact Yuins) is a nice feature. How often go you get hi-fi phones with a DAP/Amp? But I am with you. I will be looking at the next models as well, and I can always give this one away or sell it later.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #245 of 2,090
Looking at tracking, mine may be in my hands a little later today. Looking forward to hearing this thing.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #246 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at tracking, mine may be in my hands a little later today. Looking forward to hearing this thing.

Well, it goes without saying (but not without typing lol!), that I am super curious to hear what you think of the amp3 compared with the X. I heard it requires burn in, but you know I expect out-of-the-box impressions asap
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #248 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it goes without saying (but not without typing lol!), that I am super curious to hear what you think of the amp3 compared with the X. I heard it requires burn in, but you know I expect out-of-the-box impressions asap
ksc75smile.gif

Of course! I'll make sure it has some charge, put a few albums on it, and take it for the first spin. I'll post here when I've got some sort of idea as to the initial sound- and will keep in mind that it takes some run in like the X.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #249 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Well, add me into "want to know asap" list. Read some good review in other forum. It makes comparison to other good player I knew. Don't want to say much to cloud cn11 judgment. If the review is all true, it rocks!!

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #250 of 2,090
Quote:

Of course! I'll make sure it has some charge, put a few albums on it, and take it for the first spin. I'll post here when I've got some sort of idea as to the initial sound-
and will keep in mind that it takes some run in like the X.

Yes, definitely. It will be exciting to hear your views because you'll be the only person here (who's not a seller of the amp3), that has both daps and who can truly give a fair and credible comparison. Can't wait
ksc75smile.gif

I never did find out if Craig burned in his X or not when he did the comparison. Hopefully he did.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #251 of 2,090
Quote:

Of course! I'll make sure it has some charge, put a few albums on it, and take it for the first spin. I'll post here when I've got some sort of idea as to the initial sound- and will keep in mind that it takes some run in like the X.

Can't wait!!!
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #252 of 2,090
I just received 3 Amp3's from HiSoundAudio today. I'm currently charging them.

Initial impressions:

1. It has a MICRO SD slot
2. It has 4GB onboard memory. There is no micro SD card in it and it is reading 3.68 GB Fat 32.
3. It shows up as a Sigmatel SDK USB Drive in Windows XP.

I will update this thread after charging.

-Andy

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #253 of 2,090
Mine's charging too. Updates coming very soon. It really is a simple little device, well constructed, and rather retro looking.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #254 of 2,090
Why 3? Curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received 3 Amp3's from HiSoundAudio today. I'm currently charging them.

Initial impressions:

1. It has a MICRO SD slot
2. It has 4GB onboard memory. There is no micro SD card in it and it is reading 3.68 GB Fat 32.
3. It shows up as a Sigmatel SDK USB Drive in Windows XP.
4. The supplied Mini-USB wallwart is not United States compatible therefore you must charge the device through your USB port on your computer. The wallwart accepts 100-240 VAC 60HZ electricity, but you will need an adapter plug to use it in the United States.

I will update this thread after charging.

-Andy

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #255 of 2,090
Well I have the amp3 to start to dig into. These will be brief, initial impressions that will deal with SQ only, nothing about user interface, build quality, etc.

I took a quick listen to a few Radiohead songs on both the amp3 and the Sony X. Keep in mind that this is right out of the box with no burn in. Also, I'm using my Victor FX500's. I am much more keen to listen to the player with my personal everyday earphones, not the buds that were included, good as they may be. And I think most audiophiles would prefer their choice gear as well. So I'm considering this to be normal practice for most Head-Fi’ers.

On first listen I hear about the same level of ultimate detail between the players. Soundstage is also dead on equal. But bass goes to the X, no doubt. I hope it deepens with some burn in on the amp3. The difference in upper end is that the amp3 seems to my ears to be colder in its presentation. The Sony seems more mellow, natural, and more intimate by comparison. This is not a subtle difference. Unfortunately my taste leans toward the X's naturalness, so at this point I'm wondering if I'll be able to deal with the amp3's coldness. I hope this warms up somewhat with burn in. The hiss mentioned is definitely very present. It's quite distracting on quiet passages with my FX500's. The Sony's background is much more quiet. Fans of vocals will perhaps like them better on the amp3 since I think I’m hearing them a tad more forward than on the X.

Of course I will be doing burn in and much more listening over the next several nights, and be coming back to update as things develop with the amp3. At this point though, the Sony X is the better sounding player by a good margin.

Hope this is helpful at this initial stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back