Amp3
Jul 9, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #272 of 2,090
Does anyone else have skipping with FLAC files? They are loaded on main memory with no card inserted and they all skip, some a lot, some a little.

And tried a 16GB card, didn't work as was suspected (or reported). Funny think is all the data was gone after trying it.
I had a 8Gb card get messed up, I think it was caused by a special character in the folder (ÿ).

Tried WMA lossless just to try, didn't work.

Burning in, will reserve my SQ comments until later. And I am using my IE8 (and burning in the buds separately). I will say it does sound very very good with the IE8. There is hiss. It was really bad out of the box, but is already better, but still there.

And thanks Craig for everything!

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #275 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it's better in boldface too.

You initial remarks comparing the two don't really indicate such a large disparity, yet your conclusion does. For example, you say they have the same level of detail, and soundstage is equal. Bass gos to the X, and your preference for warmer highs may not be everyone's, so that could be considered a toss-up as well (and you do say some might prefer the Amp3 for vocals). Interesting. On four factors, two ties, one for the X and one that you give to the X, but admit it's because of personal preference.

Sounds a lot closer to me, and this is without a whit of burn-in for the Amp3, while the Sony is fully broken in.

I'm not really an audiophile, so I guess I will at least try the enclosed buds at first, to see how they synergize with the Amp3. Would have been interesting if you had used the buds on both the Amp3 and the X to compare as well, just for kicks.

Bottom line, it's pretty obvious that comparing an amp/DAP that the manufacturer says requires 100 hours of burn-in with a quality DAP (at least for sound) that is burned in for at least 2-3 weeks is of little value, really. But you already know that.

I think I am going to order the X as well, see how it stacks up. Curiousity has gotten the best of me. And I always have that great Amazon 30-day return policy after I do my comparison.

Anyway, thanks for the early report. Based on your points, I'd say the Amp3 fared pretty well out of the box against a "seasoned" DAP known for its SQ.

I am looking forward to giving mine a whirl and eventually comparing it to the current King of SQ. Your early report is actually encouraging.

I did say it was an initial comparison, and mentioned several times that I know more burn in benefits it. Just because you said it was of little value doesn't mean other people shared your opinion. gameboy, Ihatepopupads and soozieq all wanted to know what my initial thoughts were and the comparison wasn't for you personally.

Also, I remember you making comparisons between the IE8 and W3 before your IE8's were burned in, did you think that was of little value too? Doubtful..

And as a point of clarification- since you haven't heard either at this point, in any state of burn in or not, I don't think you have any ground to comment on, or criticize my impressions. Once you are in a position to actually comment on what you have heard, feel free to post your counter opinion. Until then, your comments bear no weight, since as I have noted, you haven't tried either dap.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #276 of 2,090
All I noted was that your individual impressions did not match your final conclusion. I didn't criticize anything, I just noted that discrepancy. Oh, I didn't realize that you had become a mod, telling someone when and what at they can or can't post. My post even gave you credit for your early feedback being encouraging re the Amp3. So lighten up, I didn't say it was for me personally, and there already have been a few counter-opinions to yours from people who are listening to burned-in Amp3s (and are not Craig).

I do apologize for that "little value" comment. All I was saying is that it was too early to make any real distinctions, but your boldfacing of the final conclusion seemed a bit extreme. Not sure why it was necessary.

Oh, and if I compared the W3 and the IE8 before the latter was burned in even a little, claiming the IE8 to be inferior by a wide margin, I was mistaken. I can't remember that far back, and am not sure I ever made that specific claim. In the end, even with 300+ hours on the IE8, I sold them because I felt that to me, they are not as ear-pleasing as the W3.

Looking forward to your feedback between the two machines when the Amp3 is fully burned in, as well as with other IEMs, since the Amp3 just may not be a good match with the FX500s.

Oh, and how do you know I don't have the Amp3? When I am ready to comment on it, I will see how our perceptions differ, or agree.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #279 of 2,090
I originally posted that this didn't have United States type charger. I was wrong:

BVzOnfgB2kKGrHgoOKkEEjlLm0GPBKUWMc4.jpg

I edited that post to remove that comment. Sorry for the confusion.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #285 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I noted was that your individual impressions did not match your final conclusion. I didn't criticize anything, I just noted that discrepancy. Oh, I didn't realize that you had become a mod, telling someone when and what at they can or can't post. My post even gave you credit for your early feedback being encouraging re the Amp3. So lighten up, I didn't say it was for me personally, and there already have been a few counter-opinions to yours from people who are listening to burned-in Amp3s (and are not Craig).

I do apologize for that "little value" comment. All I was saying is that it was too early to make any real distinctions, but your boldfacing of the final conclusion seemed a bit extreme. Not sure why it was necessary.
Oh, and if I compared the W3 and the IE8 before the latter was burned in even a little, claiming the IE8 to be inferior by a wide margin, I was mistaken. I can't remember that far back, and am not sure I ever made that specific claim. In the end, even with 300+ hours on the IE8, I sold them because I felt that to me, they are not as ear-pleasing as the W3.

Looking forward to your feedback between the two machines when the Amp3 is fully burned in, as well as with other IEMs, since the Amp3 just may not be a good match with the FX500s.

Oh, and how do you know I don't have the Amp3? When I am ready to comment on it, I will see how our perceptions differ, or agree.

Apology noted.

Regarding the discrepancy in terminology as you say, I was listening to the player when I was writing, and making notes. The equal detail, and same sized soundstage are just small parts in the overall sonic picture in comparison to the X. The lasting impression is of a rather large difference in sound sig which is furthered by the bigger and deeper bass impact of the X, the more natural way the X goes about the sonic presentation in contrast to the amp3’s coldness, etc. My listening session with both brought me to that final statement for that initial review. Detail and soundstage are as I described them, and the overall difference is also as described. Simple to tie those thoughts to the final conclusion really. Again, of course, I am expecting this to close up some after the 100 hours of burn in has been reached. As noted before, I was specifically asked for my initial impressions in relation to the X.

About your having/not having the amp3… I didn’t know either way necessarily. Guess I shouldn’t have made an assumption. However you’ve never made mention of receiving it that I’ve seen, or made any comments about sound, therefore I thought you were still waiting for it. So do you have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back