Amp upgrade for high-impedance beyers
May 20, 2008 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Namrac

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my amp probably this summer, but I'm really unsure where to go from the headfive. The 600 ohm beyers pose an interesting challenge for whatever amp I wind up with, so I'd like to make sure I make the right decision.

I love a warm, smooth sound, and want to keep in the $400-$500 range if at all possible.

Tubes seem to make the most sense, but I'm a bit worried because I'll be moving a lot (college student), and the fragility of the tubes scares me.

I've been looking at the Singlepower PPX3, Woo Audio 3, and a Millet Max hybrid. Anything I'm overlooking, and what seems like it'd fit my needs?

May 20, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 13
Great question ... I just ordered 600 Ohm 880's right off the Beyer site so I am interested too. Call me crazy, but I am going to try -- try at least -- driving them with two high-output pocket amps, both $500 (and of course solid state and rugged): Predator and iQubes. I'll let you know after it all arrives (none of it is here yet).

This is for a special purpose application, but I hope it works for ordinary music off a PMP or laptop too.

Warm and smooth? ... maybe not so much from these solid state devices. Now the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp (is this the Millett you were looking at?) is still portable and uses some kind of strange tubes ... a miracle ... and it is $459! I heard it at CanJam 08 and it was fantastic, as good as the two that I am getting, for sure. Check it out. Also on TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie is: "the CORDA ARIETTA ... a small budget-amp with ... a touch of warmth" ... also in your price range and everyone loves the new Cordia 2Move (except me ... I like the ones I ordered, and the TTVJ Millett, better for my music).

May 20, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great question ... I just ordered 600 Ohm 880's right off the Beyer site so I am interested too. Call me crazy, but I am going to try -- try at least -- driving them with two high-output pocket amps, both $500 (and of course solid state and rugged): Predator and iQubes. I'll let you know after it all arrives (none of it is here yet).

This is for a special purpose application, but I hope it works for ordinary music off a PMP or laptop too.

Warm and smooth? ... maybe not so much from these solid state devices. Now the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp (is this the Millett you were looking at?) is still portable and uses some kind of strange tubes ... a miracle ... and it is $459! I heard it at CanJam 08 and it was fantastic, as good as the two that I am getting, for sure. Check it out. Also on TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie is: "the CORDA ARIETTA ... a small budget-amp with ... a touch of warmth" ... also in your price range and everyone loves the new Cordia 2Move (except me ... I like the ones I ordered, and the TTVJ Millett, better for my music).

The Millet is actually a DIY, so I've got a range of options on configuration and builder.

As for the Arietta, I basically already have it.
tongue.gif
Headfive and Arietta are the same amp.

May 21, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Namrac -- this is being discussed in another thread -- everyone agrees tube amp and they give suggestions.

Here is the permalink to a specific post on amps:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/250...9/#post4217969

DT770s and DT880s have dramatically different sound signatures, so what works best for the DT880 won't necessarily be best for my DT770.

I appreciate the help though.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 13
eeh, tubes are only fragile if you pack them wrong. when you look at the fact that no transistor made in 1960 is still functional, and many tubes made in the 40's are still kicking the definition of durability is indeed questionable.

Invest in a VERY strong but smallish box JUST for the tubes. A used amo-can from a military surplus shop may work... $10.

edited: from the next post down, but i dont like many posts...
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMU817 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One amp that i've read about in this price range ($369) is the bottlehead S.E.X. amp, though it seems to be aimed at Senn users and is DIY.

Sex can be good for grados too.

Im actually interested in hearing one. my summer project has been swaying between that, a DIY TT, and cloning something else. the TT and the bottlehead seem to take the cake.

May 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 13
Ah! I was <i> just <\i> about to start a thread with this exact purpose!

I also have the DT770 600ohm, powered now by a farily cheap solid state (plenty of power, but the sibilance can kill sometimes!), and am looking for something to work for this summer (besides preparing for college!)

I'll be keeping tabs on this thread as well...

One amp that i've read about in this price range ($369) is the bottlehead S.E.X. amp, though it seems to be aimed at Senn users and is DIY.

still looking...

May 21, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Right now main contenders are a Singlepower PPX3, Darkvoice 332, or a Millet Hybried. Tubes are looking better and better.
tongue.gif

May 21, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 13
I am just now getting a tube amp for my DT880 600s.

Perhaps consider the Little Dot MKIV SE which has good tubes and is right in your price range.

The Millet Hybrid (not Max) sounds wonderful with the DT880/600s and right source - I enjoy it greatly - but I think that more power could produce better slam.

May 21, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 13
A preferred (IMO) setup for my dt880/600 is/was ASL MG Head OTL MKIII with following tubes: Raytheon 5751, and matched pair Siemens EL84 (prefer Amperex w/"D"getter or Bugleboys for Grado use with the same amp). Re differing signatures - for Darths and dt990/600 I use a Corda Prehead MkII.

May 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 13
Ok, just to make this clear, this is for DT770 600 Ohmers, not DT880. I'll edit the OP to make that more clear.

May 29, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Bump, hopefully someone has some suggestions for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back