Amp Suggestions For My Setup (HD650)
Jun 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 25
I actually might be willing to wait for the Schiit Valhalla and pay the extra cash just because I want to support the company. If it's going to take forever to be released, I might not buy it. Like I said, I'm a little worried about buying things from overseas as I know people who have had bad experiences like that.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 25
The Schiit amps are already released.  Kwkarth and Jude will review them soon I hope.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #18 of 25
Well, I emailed the owner and he said that the Schiit Asgard sounds almost identical in terms of quality to the Valhalla when using the HD650 headphones, but said that the Valhalla would offer a more rich sound. Here were his exact words:

Quote: Jason Stoddard (Co-Founder of Schiit)
HD650 is actually kind of a tough choice (I have 650s and AKG K701s)--the AKGs I'd say immediately, "Valhalla." The 650s, man, that's a tough call. Valhalla will definitely be richer, warmer, and have much more apparent bass, since the output impedance is about 30 ohms, but the Asgard is pretty darn close, and fuss-free (no tube replacements.) Hope that helps!

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 25
I'm going to interpret this comment between the lines.  The Valhalla is a "warm" sounding amp...the HD650 is already a warm sounding phone with enough bass as is...he is suggesting the Asgard is a better match with the HD650.

Are you adamant on tubes.  If yes, I wholeheartedly, recommend the MingDa - it's on my head now - I LOVE WHAT I HEAR MORE THAN ANY OTHER HEADPHONE COMBINATION I OWN.  It's a forward euphonic tube amp - perfect synergy with a warm HD650.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #20 of 25
I would go with the MingDa, but I the only one I can find is $100 more expensive (at least) and ships from China. Plus I'd have to replace the tubes and stuff. I mostly want to buy the Schiit to support them because I think they are a great company.

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 25
I'd at least wait until Jude properly asses the unit.  Its all good SS, Tubes - its gonna sound better than a 3000 speaker.

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
I'd at least wait until Jude properly asses the unit.  Its all good SS, Tubes - its gonna sound better than a 3000 speaker.

Take this with a grain of salt. It'll really sound like a pair of HD650's with a SS or Tube amp. All speakers and headphones sound different, and my speakers are a completely different sound than my HD650s; neither is better nor worse, just different.

The Valhalla is definitely something you should check out, if you don't like it you can just give it back!

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
The Schiit amps are already released.  Kwkarth and Jude will review them soon I hope.

From what I understand the tube amp is not ready yet cause it says preorder. I did order one, and I'm curious how tubes sound with 650s. I have a good SS setup and am interested in seeing how the contrast is between the two. But if you were picking between the two you can't go wrong, as long as you get a decent rig.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 25
The Valhalla ships on Aug 15th.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
I like the sound of the MingDa MC84-C07, but I am having trouble finding it online. There are some on eBay, but the prices are way too high (like $280+$100 shipping). I would get it if I could find it cheaper.

Edit: I found it here: http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/prod011234124225333.htm
but it seems a little shifty. Not sure what shipping costs.

Try Pacific Valve & Company. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back