Amp suggestion for completely clueless beginner
Aug 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tnnsman7

New Head-Fier
I seeking suggestions on a headphone amp. Low to mid price point. Headphones will be mid priced full size like Sennheiser HD600/650 or comparable.  

The problem is, I don't know what I want, or do or don't like and I just need to start somewhere. I've owned two pair of Grado SR80's for well over 10 years. The last several years I've mostly been using them with iPods and/or computers. I'm ready for a significant step up in sound quality. I have a pretty nice stereo system that I can no longer use(sick mother-in-law moved in with us), so time to step up the headphone performance.

My musical tastes vary wildly, so no help there. I'm in my 50's for whatever that is worth.

I'd like to spend in the $300+/- ballpark to start. I could spend more and would, IF I knew what I wanted, which I don't.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Aug 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Here is the best amp review that I have ever read.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b

After reading the review I ordered a RSA Protector and it was just what I was looking for at the time.  The upper end models hold their value well but there is still a used discount that can get you into your price range. 

I hope this helps.  Good Luck!

I would think he's looking for something non-portable, given the fact that he's using HD600/650s. OP, you might want to look into the M^3, it's a fantastic amp for around your price range, though it is DIY. If you look around there are people/companies (a la Rockhopper) who sell premade amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back