Amp SE310 or new SE535?
Mar 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrRJ

New Head-Fier
Opinions on what the title suggests would be appreciated.

Currently have a pair of Shure SE310's which I have enjoyed for the last 2 years or so. They have just started suffering from a crackling sound which I have narrowed down to the extension cable which I originally planned to replace, but started wondering if it was time for an upgrade.

I'm using them through my iPhone 5/iPod classic, currently un-amped. Obviously the SE535's are superior but just how much of a difference is there? I have read a few different posts here and there suggesting that the difference between the SE310 and the SE425 is minor and also that the difference between the SE425 and SE535 is also minor. Would it be fair to say then that the difference between the 310 and the 535 is minor? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Second part of the question. Am I likely to see any benefits from keeping my SE310's and ambling them?

Appreciate any advice!

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 6
imo the 535 are a major upgrade from the 310. the soundstage is bigger, instrument separation is amazing, its very mid centric, highs are clear and have some sparkle but some roll off, bass is quality but not ALOT of quantity.

i was very unimpressed with the se310, again imo it would be a major upgrade from the 310 to the 535

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 6
I had the SE530's and upgraded to 535 through the product replacement scheme. I noticed a difference between the two in that the 535 had better SQ.

I then decided to couple my iPhone 4S with an amp as I felt the EQ wasn't giving me the bass signature that I was looking for. Now I have that.

The benefit of the 535's is the fact you can upgrade the cables which I have done and now awaiting delivery.

I think you will notice a significant difference from the 310 - 535 as there is 3 drivers in the 535.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 6
That's pretty much what I thought but was trying to deny on behalf of my wallet.

Any ideas though on whether I will find a noticeable increase in quality from adding an amp to my SE310's?

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 6
A couple of things to remember regarding the SE310's.

You have one driver doing the work of three (ie Bass, Mid, and Treble)

A amp will amplify the volume whilst at the same time allowing you to make changes to the Bass and Treble giving you some improvement in the quality - but at the same time remembering you have one driver doing the work of three.

Whereas, if you have three drivers each has a designated function, bass, mid, and treble.

Regarding an amp, you may want to look longer term and buy an amp, knowing that if you decide in the future to upgrade, your amp will be compatible with the new head/earphones.

I use my iPhone/iPod as source which is ok when coupled with the 535's, but I felt they were not reaching their full potential. So I then bought an amp which gave me what I was looking for - deeper bass, I also decided to upgrade the cable as the stock cable is rubbish. Once the cable arrives I will be able to, hopefully get what I'm looking for.

A common principle in the main Hi-Fi arena is always upgrade your speaker cable, I don't think ear/headphones are any different.

Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 6
the 535 are very efficent, you can run them straight out of a ipod and get excellent sound quality and great volume.

imo the se310 with a amp. still wont produce the sq of the 535 unamped.

now when you go with the 535,a upgrade cable and a good amp you really have something. im not saying you have to do any of this like i said the 535 are very efficent and you can go with just a ipod with the 535 if you like, but with the 535 you have options. yesthe price point is high. but they are really good iems imo........i hate the connectors of the new se line. but still great iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back