Amp recommendations for Superlux HD668B
Jul 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

YTCrazyTieGuy

Head-Fier
Hey guys.
I'm looking for an amp for my HD668Bs for mixing (and listening). I can't spend over $100, and every dollar I'll save will be used to buy microphones and other equipment, so I'm basically looking for the cheapest option that's good. The ones I have on my mind now are the Pimeta (I'll get someone else to build it), used V-can, used m-stage, JDSlabs CmoyBB, PA2V2, E11, and the Mini3.
Things I look for in an amp are transparency, clarity, separation, no sharp peaks, and detail. Its worth mentioning that I'll be using extensive EQ (one of the methods I'll be using is described thoroughly in the thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial), so as long as there aren't any sharp and/or dramatic peaks in the frequency response, I don't mind if it's slightly colored.
Thanks a lot!
L3000.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 8
I actually decided to stick with my HD668Bs, so what do u guys recommend for those? They are mid light, bass neutral, and highs slightly forward, to sum it up. everything I said in the OP applies here.
Thanks!
L3000.gif

Edit: I'm adding the FiiO E11 to the list.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 8
On eBay they sell single tube headphone amps, they ship from China.
So you might be able to get one as cheap as $50.
Brands are Indeed, Bravo Audio, Goodfeedback Audio(?), Best-sell, himheizhu, Dreamprayer2009, 3C Electronic Store, etc.
Too many Brands to list all of them (I like my Indeed tube amp).

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I actually decided to stick with my HD668Bs, so what do u guys recommend for those? They are mid light, bass neutral, and highs slightly forward, to sum it up. everything I said in the OP applies here.
Thanks!
L3000.gif

Edit: I'm adding the FiiO E11 to the list.

How do you like your HD-668B, I'm thinking of adding it to my collection.
How well does it block external noise?

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm using HD681B (got almost the same characteristic with HD668B), and I use Cmoy. May be you can try that too.
Also, Cmoy kinda flexible. As long as you use DIP Socket in it, you can swap the IC if you want to try a different op amp.

@Tacoboy
668B is a semi open Headphone, it does not block noise.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't think a tube amp will be great for me because I'm going to use it for mixing. Would you say your tube amp is very detailed and transparent? I might consider one if it is.
About the HD668B: I absolutely love them (They don't block noise though). They have slightly recessed mids and pronounced treble, but they make up for it with astonishing imaging, separation and mid clarity that might not have been present if they were warmer (I'm basing this somewhat on one time when I listened to them through a high-end peechtree DAC/Amp). But you don't have to trust my newbie opinion, becuase Headroom is starting to sell them and are going to review and test them!!!!!!
atsmile.gif
I'm very excited to hear what they have to say about my headphones.
@ pus2...: Cmoy is on my list. How would you describe its transparency and detail? If you change an EQ a single dB can u hear the difference? Can you hear the reverb on every individual instrument? Can you identify every note played by a quiet bass in a super busy mix? What source do you have?
Thanks!
L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm using them with m-stage and they work very well together (just as all other phones
smile.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back