Amp recommendations for HiFiMAN HE-500
Aug 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #46 of 90

Quote:

Maybe... but... I think the HE-500's are likely beyond even the B22 - I'm skeptical that even the B22 could clear them up sufficiently... and... I don't have the patience to experiment a lot more, when my other phones and set ups sound better.  I'm guessing the HiFiMan sound signature is towards a thick, rich, warm sound in the bass and lower mids, which is difficult to "tune out," via rolling amps, cables, tubes, opamps, etc.  Perhaps... but... I don't have the patience, and am too skeptical.

This got me worried a bit. The B22 will probably be as far as i want to go with SS amps. With tubes it will be something like the woo 6 maxed or raptor, maybe a Zana.
How much i love cans; once funds and space allow it(within a year i hope) i know i will be getting speakers. 
And like you i dont feel much for rolling components for ages.
Makes me think i should reconsider the RS1 above the ortho's as option next to the T1.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #47 of 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This got me worried a bit. The B22 will probably be as far as i want to go with SS amps. With tubes it will be something like the woo 6 maxed or raptor, maybe a Zana.

How much i love cans; once funds and space allow it(within a year i hope) i know i will be getting speakers. 

And like you i dont feel much for rolling components for ages.
Makes me think i should reconsider the RS1 above the ortho's as option next to the T1.

Unless you like a "very rich" sound, and slower bass, you may prefer the "new version" HD650's, AD2000's, or RS-1's to the HE-500's - I do.  But, I prefer the clarity, PRAT, and treble of those phones, which do not sound as rich (more of a Stax sound). 

The caveat is... that I did not try them with a really powerful SS amp, like the B22, or V200, nor the Lyr, or a speaker amp, since I didn't have the patience to try them... and... I didn't complete their burn-in.   All of that will, no doubt, make a difference... but... how much of a difference. 

I can not explain how several have tried them with the WA6 and WA6 SE and found them to sound great - whereas, they sounded terrible out of my WA6 SEm (rough bass and rough treble).   But, I would not pair them with a tube amp, of any kind.  I think they require a SS amp (or SS/tube hybrid amp) to come close to the sound of my phones, which I prefer. 

Or... I suppose... I could have had an "exceptional" pair - which sound nothing like the reviews I've read.

But... you may like their sound... many do, with much lesser setups. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #48 of 90

Quote:
Unless you like a "very rich" sound, and slower bass, you may prefer the "new version" HD650's, AD2000's, or RS-1's to the HE-500's - I do.  But, I prefer the clarity, PRAT, and treble of those phones, which do not sound as rich (more of a Stax sound). 

The caveat is... that I did not try them with a really powerful SS amp, like the B22, or V200, nor the Lyr, or a speaker amp, since I didn't have the patience to try them... and... I didn't complete their burn-in.   All of that will, no doubt, make a difference... but... how much of a difference. 

I can not explain how several have tried them with the WA6 and WA6 SE and found them to sound great - whereas, they sounded terrible out of my WA6 SEm (rough bass and rough treble).   But, I would not pair them with a tube amp, of any kind.  I think they require a SS amp to come close to the sound of my phones, which I prefer. 

Or... I suppose... I could have had an "exceptional" pair - which sound nothing like the reviews I've read.

But... you may like their sound... many do, with much lesser setups. 

I prefer clarity, PRaT, strong mids and some brighness. Thats the reason i prefer the GS-1 to the LD MKIII with all my phones. At first i thought i was a tube guy, but so far it seems SS gets my vote.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #49 of 90
Wanted to ask Gradofan2 above if he got round to getting hold of a Vioelectric V200 to use with his HE500's. I have an EF5 driving mine at the moment and am intrigued as to the difference in sound. Remain still a little unconvinced with the EF-5 in terms of drive and hear the V200 has much punch and clarity.
 Any thoughts from anybody on this ?

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #50 of 90
The Lyr though the HE500s is positively sumptuous.  Big, glowing attacks and sustains.  Superb blending of harmonics, layering of brushes and space of bass bloom tones.  It's warm, thick, and mid-range velvet all over. Cymbals and sticks are rich and texturally different. Bass and piano lines blend with light and ample space in  one's head. The Lyr has the power to bring your best cook to kick but in the kitchen

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #51 of 90
Quote:
The Lyr though the HE500s is positively sumptuous.  Big, glowing attacks and sustains.  Superb blending of harmonics, layering of brushes and space of bass bloom tones.  It's warm, thick, and mid-range velvet all over. Cymbals and sticks are rich and texturally different. Bass and piano lines blend with light and ample space in  one's head. The Lyr has the power to bring your best cook to kick but in the kitchen

I like Lyr. Lyr amp good. Lyr, you buy.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #52 of 90
It's just a point of view, for what it's worth.  Lighten up

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #55 of 90
sorry, had imbibed large liquor

beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #57 of 90
Has anyone found a need to add +6 pre gain to the v200 when using HE-500s? I am trying to get a fuller, punchier bass without the highs getting to bright. I found that it lacked bass without pregain mods.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #58 of 90
bought the V200 and did put the plus 6 gain on it for the He500s ...splendid amp for the HE500s ..then I found a second hand Lyr and bought that for vinyl listening ..this certainly does the job extremely well and is well punchy...both amps thoroughly recommended for the Hifiman cans. Have finally come to the end of the primary stage of a very exhaustive search for can/amp heaven.
Next stage is tube rolling the Lyr.... Need another thread for that I think !

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #59 of 90
Quote:
I'll toss in my opinion. A top end SS speaker amp. Something in the 30-50 watt (8ohm) range. Yes they are more sensitive than the other HEs but will also improve with more power. They are planars after all.

What would you suggest then, to power these? And how would you connect a DAC to that, since my primary source is a computer.

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #60 of 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back