Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #377 of 391
Hey all,

Finally traded my LCD-Xs for am Emerald Green TH900MK2 set.

It's got the low-end and treble I've been craving. It’s nice to get that sub bass punch I’ve been missing.

My Audinst HUD-MX1 seems very outclassed though. I'm looking to upgrade.

The detail retrieval and clarity is all there, but man, I need some slight midrange and coloration. Wouldn’t hurt to step into the deep end so I’m not in the position to upgrade again in 4 years.

What’s the good word these days? I hear tube based amps are providing a tinge of warmth to these cans.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #384 of 391
No, never
A luxman Used is beloved your budget
Hugo 2 also
Hugo wayyy belove
People here advise the ifi Black label
I wasnt impressed from The ifi ican pro but That IS the only one i tried

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #385 of 391
Hm. I’d flex a bit on the budget if it meant getting a serious piece of gear I’d be happy with for quite some time.

Which Luxman model is that? The 700u?

I’ve been interested in Chord gear too, but heard of some quality control issues.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #387 of 391
i'm also looking for an (stationary) amp that perfectly fits to the TH900,
but after reading the whole thread there seems to be no clear winner.
OK, maybe not surprisingly.

The Fostex A8 was already mentioned, but in terms of power, it doesn't fit very well to the 25Ohm load and 1800mW of the TH900.
I got a recommendation for the Violectric HPA V280, but havn't heard it.
Another here recommended the Violectric V200, this makes me thinking the brand Violectric could fit more or less well.

I like a rich and punch bass which is definitive a strength of the TH900 and the amp should be able to facilitate a lush listening experience.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #388 of 391
If you want end game material, Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar. This will add new dimensions to your bass. This and the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 tower over all other retail solid state headphone amps I know of. You'll need a balanced cable for the headphone, and a 3.5mm -> dual RCA cable for the Mojo with two female RCA to male XLR adapters.

@Rhamnetin
Sounds interesting. Have you heard both amps with the TH900 ?
Both are very pricy and rare, therefore hard to find used here in Europe.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #389 of 391
i'm also looking for an (stationary) amp that perfectly fits to the TH900,
but after reading the whole thread there seems to be no clear winner.
OK, maybe not surprisingly.

The Fostex A8 was already mentioned, but in terms of power, it doesn't fit very well to the 25Ohm load and 1800mW of the TH900.
I got a recommendation for the Violectric HPA V280, but havn't heard it.
Another here recommended the Violectric V200, this makes me thinking the brand Violectric could fit more or less well.

I like a rich and punch bass which is definitive a strength of the TH900 and the amp should be able to facilitate a lush listening experience.
I had the fostex th900mk2 and a violectric hpa v200, you will absolutely not be disappointed. Fantastic pairing. The only reason i sold it was because the th900mk2 was uncomfortable on my head and i developed sore spot from the headband. And since i sold the cans, the amp was too much power for what i needed for the rest of my cans so i sold it also. Now i use a modest rme adi-2 dac\amp. And it suits me well :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #390 of 391
Thanks @Tsukuyomi
Sounds reasonable. I admit that the TH900 could also be a bit lighter for a better feel when wearing. And the headband is not easy replaceable.
I see you have also a Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO, there the headband and overall wearing comfort is better solved in my opinion. Nevertheless i love TH-900.

RME, nice German brand, :) mostly known for professional audio equipment, also they do serious measurement equipment. The ADI-2 DAC i've never demoed.I will try when i can get my hands on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back