Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Jan 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #241 of 391
Thanks, the-kraken--

I really want to keep things less than $1200.  Yes, I probably like the looks and the swiss-army knife functionality of the HA-1 but I just bought an OPPO BDP-105 and I believe that uses the same DAC as the HA-1.   The HP-A8C has really dropped in price and is extremely tempting.....just not sure how it would pair with other headphones/portable speakers.  I think I am talking myself into the HP-A8C.

Dave

massdrop has that amp on drop for ~900ish

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #242 of 391
  Thanks, the-kraken--

I really want to keep things less than $1200.  Yes, I probably like the looks and the swiss-army knife functionality of the HA-1 but I just bought an OPPO BDP-105 and I believe that uses the same DAC as the HA-1.   The HP-A8C has really dropped in price and is extremely tempting.....just not sure how it would pair with other headphones/portable speakers.  I think I am talking myself into the HP-A8C.

Dave

The HP-A8 doesn't power speakers - you'd have to go active (powered) speakers or add in an amp/receiver to use it in DAC only mode. I have it setup like so: MacBook Pro -> HP-A8 via optical -> A/V receiver -> B&W CM5 speakers. Really love the Asahi Kasei AK4399 DAC - which is why I use it like this.

I'd say for $800 - the HP-A8C is a great buy, if only for the DAC. In terms of powering other headphones... Fostex claims 16-600ohms supported, but frankly - the power output at higher impedances really isn't there. Here are some measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpGraphs.pdf

I love it for the DAC. Much less so for the amp section. Personally, I don't think this is THE dac/amp combo to get if you want to pair it with a lot of different headphones (unless you'll be buying a more powerful amp later). 

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #243 of 391
The massdrop deal on the WA7 is really good although I have mixed feeling about them at times as a customer.  I think the WA7 will be plenty for the TH900's given the way they power say an HD 650.  Pitch black background.  Agree on the DAC comments...it's OK but not special.

HS

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #245 of 391
Thanks again, the-kraken--

I was hoping to go the Massdrop route but then saw a great deal on a demo HP-A8C on Moon's site. I will probably use it the same way you do with the exception of wiring it to active speakers. Eventually I will look for a dedicated amp. I am looking forward to comparing the DAC to the ESS that is in my BDP-105.

Dave

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #247 of 391
I've never used massdrop before this week, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd love to see the oppo roll through, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Since they're dealing with Woo, and there's no custom element, I think you'll be A-OK.  It's a great price and I very much like the amp.

HS

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #248 of 391
The Eddie Curent 445 pair very well with the TH900 (I had it BALANCED wired).  

I had put aside my TH900 when I got my ED5 ultrasone, but since I received my EC445, my TH900 is used again...

And the Square Paper TU-05 also :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #249 of 391
The massdrop deal on the WA7 is really good although I have mixed feeling about them at times as a customer.  I think the WA7 will be plenty for the TH900's given the way they power say an HD 650.  Pitch black background.  Agree on the DAC comments...it's OK but not special.

HS

I was referring to the Fostex HP-A8C.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #251 of 391
Sorry, B.  Don't recall if I was even making reference to your post but I might very well have been.  

HS

No worries! I wasn't sure either but wanted to clarify just in case there was any confusion.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #253 of 391
There is a massdrop on the dacmini right now for the next couple of days. $399 base price: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/centrance-dacmini-cx-amp-dac?s=DAC

I thought about it, but it's not an appreciable improvement over the Fostex hp-a8c I already have. Same power specs, inferior DAC. I think at this point I'm headed towards the Oppo ha-1 and will re-terminate the stock th900 cable balanced.

Still trying to decide if I want to do Lawton's $45 dampening tune up. He's pretty responsive via email - but the single review I read about the full upgrade used words like "some improvement" and "a little change" etc. It seems like the largest difference was in reducing resonance, which frankly never bothered me.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #254 of 391
There is a massdrop on the dacmini right now for the next couple of days. $399 base price: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/centrance-dacmini-cx-amp-dac?s=DAC

I thought about it, but it's not an appreciable improvement over the Fostex hp-a8c I already have. Same power specs, inferior DAC. I think at this point I'm headed towards the Oppo ha-1 and will re-terminate the stock th900 cable balanced.

Still trying to decide if I want to do Lawton's $45 dampening tune up. He's pretty responsive via email - but the single review I read about the full upgrade used words like "some improvement" and "a little change" etc. It seems like the largest difference was in reducing resonance, which frankly never bothered me.

Why do you want to get Oppo HA1 ? I thought Fostex HP-A8C was as good as or better than HA1. You are not really getting any benefit going in balanced with TH900, unless you have other headphone like HD800.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #255 of 391
Hi,

I've been running my TH900s in this setup (dB Audio Labs Tranquility > Gilmore Lite > TH900) for the last year and really enjoying them, however I am assuming that my amplifier would be the weak link here, there seems to be little known about the DAC, but what I have read has been positive. 

I know that the V200 is recommended as a good pairing for the TH900s, but what about the Yulong A18 as they are considered similar?

Has anyone else found any good tube amp pairings as id like to try a tube amp as ive been solid state from the beginning?

(As a side note, anyone know a decent but reasonably priced USB A-B cable) 

Cheers,

-Matt 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back