Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Oct 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #902 of 1,285
I can't wait for a GS-X - Master 8 comparison :p

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #903 of 1,285
The biggest diferences I found between the NFB-6 and Master 8 (on Audeze LCD-3 and DAC NFB-1.32) are the following:

Master-8:

Doesn't have the lower-mid hump that the NFB-6 had, it's much more neutral.
Has a nice sound stage much more wide.
Is much more dynamic and fun.
Bass is better controlled, strong and deep.
highs and lows are more extended.
Voices sound more lifelike.

NFB-6:

Has more power than Master 8 on low power mode, XLR output has more power than Master-8 on low power mode.
A bit more bland and boring (less dynamics)
mid-lower hump that can be bothersome.
less details on high frequencies.
sub-bass is not so deep.
soundstage is constricted compared to the master 8

PD: Haven't figured how to make the high power mode work on the Master-8  I've done what is stated in the user manual and I get no difference in volume with my headphone. should I get an increase in volume if the power changes from:
low  power     50 ohm:   1800MW to high power     50 ohm:   7000MW.  Now that I read it says low/high power "model" instead of mode, I guess it should say mode, unless that switch is like the goggles.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #904 of 1,285
I've read that the NFB-6 is was retuned for some added warmth after people complained about the early revisions being too cold and sterile.

I used to own the SA-31 and I felt that the Master 8 had better bass conrtol and had better extension in the highs, but the SA-31 did hold its own with regards to soundstage size. I love the treble presentation on the Master 8, but I could see how a few might prefer the darker sounding SA-31 with adjustable warmth.

The volume difference between high and low gain should be noticeable. I can listen to my HE-6 at 50/99 on low gain, but can't go over 20/99 on high. I haven't found a need for high gain on the LCD-3 and HD 800 yet as I normally listen to both at 10/99 on low gain.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #907 of 1,285
On the M8 gain is gain, changed by the steps choice.  Power is class A bias.  No change in voltage output or power just when it switched from class A to AB.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #908 of 1,285
On the M8 gain is gain, changed by the steps choice.  Power is class A bias.  No change in voltage output or power just when it switched from class A to AB.

I don't think that is quite right. I coulda sworn back in the M5/M6 days, the difference was that the M6 used unregulated power for the output stage, whereas the M5 used regulated power for the output stage. So I would assume the diference would be the same inside the M8. I would think tha biasing current would stay the same either way, its just the source of the power is changing.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #909 of 1,285
Unregulated and Kingwa don't mix.  It's a bias switch which is why the power only increases into lower impedances and not up top.  Could be wrong but anything else seems odd.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #910 of 1,285
All this talk makes me glad I have the Master-6. No messing around with power or gain switches 
wink_face.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #911 of 1,285
Unregulated and Kingwa don't mix.  It's a bias switch which is why the power only increases into lower impedances and not up top.  Could be wrong but anything else seems odd.

thats not necessarily true, up top it wouldnt be current limited either way...your limited by the rails in the output stage not current delivery. changing the bias point wouldnt necessarily change the amount of power available either, just changes how much of it is class A

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #912 of 1,285
Which is what I said :p

Kingwa on the other hand writes it as class A power which is bias limited.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #913 of 1,285
Which is what I said :p

Kingwa on the other hand writes it as class A power which is bias limited.

But he also says that all of it is class A, even past the biasing point, since it has no switching distortion. He says that is the "new" definition of Class A, not just the biasing current, but as long as there is no switching distortion...I've talked to him about it in emails several times heh

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #914 of 1,285
Easy enough to verify.  Put it on low... leave it on for 24 hours.  Switch it to high and see if it gets hotter.  No bias change, no heat change.  Bias change, heat increase.

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #915 of 1,285
Doesn't seem like a popular choice but has anyone heard the LCD-3 with a Musical Fidelity X-Can v8 and can compare it to some of the more common amps discussed in this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back