Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #361 of 1,285
Quote:

I don't think there are many who've directly compared the Gungnir to the M51. The NAD has garnered glowing praise though (at its full US RRP) and has the measurements to back it. The Gungnir is lauded here, but often by those coming from lesser components. In that context, I agree that the Gungnir is a fine DAC.

I respect paradoxper's findings, but I suspect it would be against the grain and beyond mere preference (i.e. other unidentified factors). prepoman appears to be in agreement with me (lol).

My finding's may be against the grain, but nonetheless, that's what they are. 

I think as you said for different markets either is the better value, both are very close to eachother, IMO. And it just happens that 
for the U.S. Market it needs to be $300-500 less in MSRP.

As far as coming from lesser components your comments do have credence, but I've also had the PWD
and so I have a high performance reference for DACS.

Preference has much to do with the gear we find we like, while the PWD is amazing in SQ, it severely lacked in other areas
that were a deal killer.

In terms of $750-2000k DACS they've all performed quite closely to one another. 
It wasn't until reaching that other tier that you could really see a step up.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #362 of 1,285
Just recieved my LCD 3's and my Ray Samuels Dark Star amp. All I can say right now is that the sound is very nice, the sonic equivalent of a sweet Swiss dark chocolate Toblerone bar, if you get the drift. The sound is powerful, dark, sweet, detailed, and rich. Maybe sometime I'll do a more detailed review of my impressions. I like acoustic music, rock, folk, and classical genres.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #363 of 1,285
Quote:
Just recieved my LCD 3's and my Ray Samuels Dark Star amp. All I can say right now is that the sound is very nice, the sonic equivalent of a sweet Swiss dark chocolate Toblerone bar, if you get the drift. The sound is powerful, dark, sweet, detailed, and rich. Maybe sometime I'll do a more detailed review of my impressions. I like acoustic music, rock, folk, and classical genres.

Can you get Ray to turn the DSs gain down?

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #364 of 1,285
With the quantity of sale being so low, I would imagine Darkstars are basically custom made. Just ask him about it before you order one.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #365 of 1,285
From what paradox is saying, the octave is much better then the NAD M51. Anyone have a second opinion on this? 

Also if the Gungnir is the weak point in the LCD-3/Mjolnir/Gungnir combo, would upgrading to the NAD or the Octave be my best bet? Seems like from the sounds of it the GS-X isn't substantially better then the Mjolnir. Is there any amp (pre also if possible) for around 2200 that would be a direct upgrade instead of a diagonal-grade?

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #366 of 1,285
Quote:
From what paradox is saying, the octave is much better then the NAD M51. Anyone have a second opinion on this? 

Also if the Gungnir is the weak point in the LCD-3/Mjolnir/Gungnir combo, would upgrading to the NAD or the Octave be my best bet? Seems like from the sounds of it the GS-X isn't substantially better then the Mjolnir. Is there any amp (pre also if possible) for around 2200 that would be a direct upgrade instead of a diagonal-grade?

When it comes to solid state amps, Purrin ranks the Mjolnir and the balanced Dynahi as the best two on the market. The GS-X isnt a dynahi, but its the closest youll get commercially. I would tend to agree, you probably wont find another solid state amp thats "better" than the mjolnir. most of them will be sidegrades of some form or other.

Many feel higher end tube amps are better though. Ive been wanting to hear the EC Super 7 with my LCD-3s

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #367 of 1,285
I wouldn't put all my eggs into Purins basket - so to speak.  After all, it's just one mans opinion.

Although the LCD/MJ is a super great combo
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #368 of 1,285
Quote:
I wouldn't put all my eggs into Purins basket - so to speak.  After all, it's just one mans opinion.

Although the LCD/MJ is a super great combo
biggrin.gif

Well sure, but i do trust alot of what he says. and think the mjolnir is a great amp for the LCD-3s. I also am looking forward to hearing your new HD800s balanced on it as well....that and you know how i feel about the dark star :wink:

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #372 of 1,285
Prep have you heard the GS-X 1 with the lcd3s yet, or are you just waiting for your mark2?

I've been lurking on here pretty religiously for the past 3 weeks and most of you that post often seem to have pretty differing tastes.

I guess there are very few objective opinions when it to most of this stuff.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #373 of 1,285
Quote:
Prep have you heard the GS-X 1 with the lcd3s yet, or are you just waiting for your mark2?

I've been lurking on here pretty religiously for the past 3 weeks and most of you that post often seem to have pretty differing tastes.

I've got the GS-X with the upgraded modules (got them last month) and the combination with the LCD-3s (and HD800s and TH-900s) is a real winner! Heck, it is the best amp I've heard with IEMs too. Show me an amp that's as versatile.

It's the most transparent amp I've owned; wire-with-gain as they say. The newer version will still be the same wire-with-gain design, but with even more power. But I don't plan on buying the HE-6s (again). 
size]
 I've sold the WA22 and Liquid Fire last year and miss neither. Just something else to consider. 
size]

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #374 of 1,285
Quote:

There are other things to consider. IF the consensus is that the past 4 aforementioned amps are good choices,
some better than others with a wider variety of headphones, etc.

Then consider the GS-X has nicer case work, separate PS (if no benefits sonically) it looks cooler stacked, pre-amp functions, for example.

And to some those extra features are worth the price of admission. Similarly to the Dark Star with half its costs being in case work.

Again, we agonize over gear too often, know your preferences, pick the gear that best suits you and enjoy.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #375 of 1,285
@appless

How is it possible to have objective opinions about an entirely subjective experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back