Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #76 of 1,285

Quote:
I auditioned the Lyr... The Liquid Fire simply destroyed the Lyr hands down.  And after changing the tubes on the Liquid Fire to Telefunken CCa's, the LF is a perfect match with the LCD3. Make no mistake, I thought the Lyr was a decent amp - before I listened to the Liquid Fire. If you think the Siemens CCa's sound good on the Lyr, wait till you try a quad on the Liquid Fire.

But, after buying the lcd-3 i can't afford the liquid fire.  I hate this hobby.
wink_face.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #77 of 1,285

Quote:
I auditioned the Lyr... The Liquid Fire simply destroyed the Lyr hands down.  And after changing the tubes on the Liquid Fire to Telefunken CCa's, the LF is a perfect match with the LCD3. Make no mistake, I thought the Lyr was a decent amp - before I listened to the Liquid Fire. If you think the Siemens CCa's sound good on the Lyr, wait till you try a quad on the Liquid Fire.

That's funny, the Siemens CCa's on my Lyr sound pretty much the same as the stock JJ's, I guess I need to listen to some more money.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #78 of 1,285

Quote:
Both. The LCD-3s aren't any harder to drive than the 2s.

While the LCD-3s do sound very good out of the Lyr, I'm not as enthralled with the combination as I was with the LCD-2s.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #79 of 1,285
I have the Telefunken CCa's which are even rarer than the Siemens CCa's and extremely hard to find. If the Siemens CCa's don't sound like an improvement to you on the Lyr over the stock tubes, it is probably due to the Lyr's inferiority which restricts the Siemens ability to truly shine.

Quote:

That's funny, the Siemens CCa's on my Lyr sound pretty much the same as the stock JJ's, I guess I need to listen to some more money.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #80 of 1,285

Quote:
I have the Telefunken CCa's which are even rarer than the Siemens CCa's and extremely hard to find. If the Siemens CCa's don't sound like an improvement to you on the Lyr over the stock tubes, it is probably due to the Lyr's inferiority which restricts the Siemens ability to truly shine.

Quote:

You might want to venture over to that other headphone site for another take on the LF.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #81 of 1,285
IMO, LCD3 is better with hybrid than Tube AMPs, a great SS might be even better, for example, the RP030 or EAR 909. The leben is a great tube amp, but I never use it with my LCD2 or LCD3, for my SS amp  has better synergy. This might apply to result of the LF and leben comparison with LCDs. However, when comes to the HE6, KK or HD800s, leben is simply the best.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #82 of 1,285
I like both my Leben and Liquid Fire for the LCD3, but for pop music I prefer the Liquid Fire. The Leben, however, still exhibits the extra smoothness and tube euphonics when compared with the LF which is more powerful, and therefore the Leben is my preferred amp when it comes to acoustic / vocal. If you use the LF with LCD3, beware - you need to tune it in a way such that your cables and tubes matches the relatively warm signature of the LCD3. If you use sweet tubes the LCD3 may just sound too thick. Try using some silver headphone cable for the LCD3 and the Telefunken CCa tubes, although they are much harder to find than the Siemens CCas.  For Leben, I recommend Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7's and Mullard  BXA date code EL84's. They really make the LCDs sing. If you prefer a tad warmer sound, replace the Amperex 12AX7's with Sylvannia's. Very good quality as well.

Speaking of SS amps, I would like to try the Accuphase C3800 again once of these days. Last time I tried it with the LCD2, it was amazing, so very eager to try it with the 3. For tube amps, the EAR HP4 is high on my list for auditioning but it doesn't look like I can try it out anywhere in Hong Kong. I saw one selling on Review33 months ago and now regret not getting it back then.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #83 of 1,285
I prefer my Marantz 2275 to the Lyr, aesthetically and soundwise, but the Lyr is an awesome amp until you take the next step which would be the LF or what have you. I think I'm gonna have to get my feet wet with stats rather than spend more money on amplification for the LCDs... I feel pretty secure in my assumption that the Marantz is close to the best for amps, especially orthos.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #87 of 1,285
I'm going to have to upgrade from the asguard to  the lyra for now since i spent most my money on the lcd-3's.  But, after saving, I would like to get the liquid fire or darkstar.  Anyone else have comparisons or thoughts about the two.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #89 of 1,285
I'd bet your bet would be right. Love Nelson's stuff. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I’d hedge a bet that the Nelson Pass FW amplifiers would be an end of game choice for both the HE-6 and LCD-2/3.

Nice one here on the FS threads too:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/557807/nelson-pass-passdiy-firstwatt-f5-poweramp-class-a-monster-perfect-for-for-k1000-planar-or-orthodynamic-headphones-or-bookshelf-speakers

I would love to hear this combo...

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #90 of 1,285
The Dark Star finally arrived.  The upgrades in detail, impact, imaging, and soundstaging are immediately apparent over the HA-160D, though both sound very good.  The only limiting factor is that I'm using the DAC stage off the same 160D for both units until Anedio or Schiit release their best offerings.  For anyone considering the pairing with the LCD-3, it's really impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back