Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
May 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #106 of 1,285
Quote:
Just putting it out there: the Violectric V200 is IMO (and in the opinion of two other Head-fi friends who have compared it against other amps) a serious non-starter with the LCD3. The 3 is sluggish, dull and lacking definition with the V200. While with a simple 2-board B22 it was far better.

Not knowing anything about electronics, I can't explain it, since the V200 is excellent with my LCD2.

If you have a V200 and have been disappointed with your new LCD3, I'd suggest giving other amps a try.

I am not surprised. I loved the Lyr with the LCD-2s, but it lacked the same punch with the LCD-3s. Goes to show that while they both share some commonalities, they are still quite different (sound wise and amp requirements). That said, I'm a big fan of the GS-1 (same price range as the V200) with the LCD-3s, so who knows? But the absolute best I've heard them (LCD-3s) are with the Liquid Fire.

I have heard the V200 on a few occasions, but only with the HD800s and LCD-2s and thought that it was a great amp. I'll have to try to see if I can try it again with my LCD-3s.

May 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #108 of 1,285
Wa22 with Tung Sol 5998's or 7236's work great with LCD2/3. id recommend a cable upgrade with it. reference cable is not bad, but there are gains to be had with a good copper/silver cable (balanced).

May 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #109 of 1,285
I'm thinking of trying a Krell KAV 280p preamp. Could anyone tell me whether it would have the power directly to drive an LCD3?

I know it has an 18 Vrms balanced output, but don't know how that would translate to these headphones.

I'm guessing there's only one real way to find out, but if anyone has a clue, please chime in.

May 28, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #110 of 1,285
X2 about WA22. 6080 tubes do fine as well, actually I often prefer a good 6080 to the 5998/7236 due to the slightly added warmth. Transparecy freaks will prefer the 7236, though. Anyway - I do find the WA22 quite crisp and clearw while retaining the delicious mids tubes are best at. Also, it hasith a really nice bite. 
Quote:
Wa22 with Tung Sol 5998's or 7236's work great with LCD2/3. id recommend a cable upgrade with it. reference cable is not bad, but there are gains to be had with a good copper/silver cable (balanced).

May 28, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #111 of 1,285
I never tried this, but FWIR plugging headphones straight into the pre-amp outputs never really is a good solution for lower impedance headphones especially. In the manual of my Lavry DA11 it says that high imp headphones can be plugged straight into the balbanced pre amp output. However, pre-amp output impedances are often rated at 1000 ohm.. others posters will surely be more knowledgeable than I on this topic. 
Quote:
I'm thinking of trying a Krell KAV 280p preamp. Could anyone tell me whether it would have the power directly to drive an LCD3?

I know it has an 18 Vrms balanced output, but don't know how that would translate to these headphones.

I'm guessing there's only one real way to find out, but if anyone has a clue, please chime in.

May 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #112 of 1,285
So, I am completely new to audiophile headphones and amps. I am moving into a retirement community and my Balanced Audio VK.D5SE tube Cd transport - Balanced Audio VK-50SE tube preamp - Aragon solid state power amps - Magnaplan 20R speakers are too much and too loud for an apartment so I need to downsize to a state of the art ballanced headphone system.

I have settled on the LCD-3 headphone and have reduced my amp choices to the Woo WA22 or the Liquid Fire. I would appreciate comments on which would be the best with the LCD-3 . My listening preferences are jazz and classical with lots of piano and string quartets.

Also are the LF and WA 22 integrated amps or do they require a preamp?

Tigermoth

May 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #114 of 1,285
so I need to downsize to a state of the art ballanced headphone system.
I have settled on the LCD-3 headphone and have reduced my amp choices to the Woo WA22 or the Liquid Fire.
Tigermoth

The LF isnt balanced but the WA22 is

May 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #116 of 1,285
Quote:
Well, that settles it for me! Thank's Room40. Does the WA22 require a preamp?

Not sure as Ive never owned either amp but dont think so.. best search/post that question in this thread

May 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #117 of 1,285
Quote:
Well, that settles it for me! Thank's Room40. Does the WA22 require a preamp?

No, it doesn't. Most of the headphone amps are essentially integrated amplifier. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #118 of 1,285
No, it doesn't. Most of the headphone amps are essentially integrated amplifier. 

Which to me is insane.

Why dont we get seperate PRE and AMPS solutions, just like speaker systems ?

When i was shopping for preamps, i had to eliminate all the ones that didnt offer a headphone out because i couldnt find a headphone amp to use it with. Very glad with what i ended up with, but i still wonder why.....

Cheers

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #119 of 1,285
Yes, I agree - there should be power headphone amps available. I mean - most people have a pre-amp already, and using the preamp out from their preamp/integrated to a dedicated headphone amp shold be the purist solution. But maybe, amp producers are worried about people blowing their phones..
Quote:
Which to me is insane.
When i was shopping for preamps, i had to eliminate all the ones that didnt offer a headphone out because i couldnt find a headphone amp to use it with. Very glad with what i ended up with, but i still wonder why.....
Cheers

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #120 of 1,285
Quote:
Which to me is insane.
Cheers

I've had really great results with separates for both stats and dynamics.  For my HE-6, I'm using my DAC (will also be adding a preamp soon) to control the volume on my speaker amp and it sounds great.  On my stat amp, I just max out the volume and control it with my preamp.  No noise, and the 6SL7/300Bs impart a wonderful character to the stats.

The problem with preamps is that a bad preamp will really damage the SQ, and when you're looking at a system with a quality preamp and amp, you're far outside the price range most people will spend on a headphone system.  I've also tried preamps with lesser headamps, and it picks up some nasty hum, so quality of components, interconnects, power, tubes, etc., can be pretty stringent.

Some people are happily bucking the trend with their orthos, so maybe things are slowly changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back